Good times are on the way
My turn! My turn!

Well, actually, I'm not very excited about it, but I couldn't think of anything better. I get to go in for my first ever colonoscopy on Thursday. Having this thread actually makes me feel a little better about it. Thanks GCG. Big Grin

Cue the jokes from OL about finding my head.
(10-24-2013, 06:06 PM)csrowan Wrote: My turn! My turn!

Well, actually, I'm not very excited about it, but I couldn't think of anything better. I get to go in for my first ever colonoscopy on Thursday. Having this thread actually makes me feel a little better about it. Thanks GCG. Big Grin

Well enjoy it you usually only get one every five years. Big Grin
(10-24-2013, 07:07 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-24-2013, 06:06 PM)csrowan Wrote: My turn! My turn!

Well enjoy it you usually only get one every five years. Big Grin

Hopefully they will put you under with the same stuff* they used on me. I forget the name but it is what Michael Jackson ODed on. That is some good stuff, man.

*propofol* Eyebrows me like
I'm planning on not going under. They'll set up the IV sedation, but it's rationed by request. Given that I've had a lot of strange reactions to medications over the past two years, I'm trying to avoid any that aren't absolutely necessary. I figure that if people in practically every other country but ours can take it up the butt without sedation, I can be man enough to do it, too.
If this procedure will help get you off whatever meds they have you on now, (P r e d n i s o n e?) it will be worth it. I truly wish you the best.....

And why the hell can't I post P r e d n i s o n e normally without an error message? Rolling Eyes Can I say corticosteroids? Guess so. Laughing
Not on that medication, nor any related one. They tried me on it back when my MTHFR was undiagnosed, and my chronic bilateral knee pain was still a problem. Didn't help. It was, however, one of the few drugs I didn't notice any appreciable side effects from.

Funny story. The motor tics and neurological pain and other things that made them test for MTHFR came back. But the knee pain that I had for over ten years and caused me to start using a cane in my twenties went away within three days of starting treatment for MTHFR. Only a little pain came back when the tics started up again.

The colonoscopy is because I've had obvious signs of IBS that seem to correlate with the severity of the neurological symptoms for the past year or so. And IBS is also correlated with MTHFR mutations. It probably won't get me off any meds at all. Though it could possibly get me on some new ones, depending on what they find.

I'll also be doing a fructose absorption or malabsorption test at Providence sometime soon. They'll be measuring the hydrogen in my breath or something like that.
Just a guess from looking at what I assume is you in your avatar. Puffiness (no offence) Smiling is often a result of long term corticosteroid use. From the little prior info you've posted of medical issues, I was under the impression you were still looking for answers to your problems. Its been my experience doctors often use (the P word) Smiling when they don't know what else to try.
The puffiness you see is mostly the result of an using an iPod camera to take a self shot. The combination of lens and focal length and other stuff like that leads to drastic foreshortening on close range shots (i.e. arms length). This can add the illusion of extra weight to some photos.

Basically, it's not a good camera for taking up close shots. It screws with perspective.

However, before I started bupropion to help me quit smoking, I weighed around 180. That was when everything started going haywire, including my weight. I'm at about 260 now. However, given that I'm 6'5", it's not as bad as it could have been. Still, I gained most of that in about 6 months.

But 260 at 6' 5" is just a little bit of a belly and not much more. If you stand up straight and suck it in a little when a pretty woman passes by, you look fine. Smiling
(10-24-2013, 11:11 PM)csrowan Wrote: The puffiness you see is mostly the result of an using an iPod camera to take a self shot. The combination of lens and focal length and other stuff like that leads to drastic foreshortening on close range shots (i.e. arms length). This can add the illusion of extra weight to some photos.

Basically, it's not a good camera for taking up close shots. It screws with perspective.

However, before I started bupropion to help me quit smoking, I weighed around 180. That was when everything started going haywire, including my weight. I'm at about 260 now. However, given that I'm 6'5", it's not as bad as it could have been. Still, I gained most of that in about 6 months.

But 260 at 6' 5" is just a little bit of a belly and not much more. If you stand up straight and suck it in a little when a pretty woman passes by, you look fine. Smiling

Sure until she sees your fat fingers.
(10-25-2013, 10:32 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-24-2013, 11:11 PM)csrowan Wrote: The puffiness you see is mostly the result of an using an iPod camera to take a self shot. The combination of lens and focal length and other stuff like that leads to drastic foreshortening on close range shots (i.e. arms length). This can add the illusion of extra weight to some photos.

Sure until she sees your fat fingers.

Loose women like fat fingers.
At least, that's what I heard.
Double ouch!
They're usually more interested in the overall size of my hands and feet. Big Grin "My GOD those things are HUGE!"
My first time ever will be in November. Bring on the Profofol!
(10-25-2013, 11:51 AM)Snowlover Wrote: My first time ever will be in November. Bring on the Profofol!
Say What? You mean women get the insert camera there too? Rolling Eyes
(10-25-2013, 10:45 AM)csrowan Wrote: They're usually more interested in the overall size of my hands and feet. Big Grin "My GOD those things are HUGE!"

And some might even be glad you're not a proctologist.
(10-25-2013, 07:18 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-25-2013, 11:51 AM)Snowlover Wrote: My first time ever will be in November. Bring on the Profofol!
Say What? You mean women get the insert camera there too? Rolling Eyes

I hope they don't miss and think the cletus is a polyp.
All done. No sedation.

It was less horrific than I'd been led to expect, but there were a few points where I understood the desire for sedation.

The need to inflate the colon with air so they can see what they're doing gives some very intense feelings of bloating and an urgent desire to run to the restroom while they're in the lower part of the colon... which happens at the beginning and again as they're coming back out.

Then, at the very end, they reverse the camera and air hose so they can look the other way as they come out... and it feels like someone took an industrial strength vibrator, turned it up to 11, and put it in the wrong hole... not that I have the right one. Thankfully, that part lasts only a minute at most.

Actually, after all that was over, there was still more to come. I had three sensors on my chest and an IV taped to my arm (just in case I chickened out). The colonoscopy I could handle, but having my hair ripped out HURT!
Glad to hear you made it though. Hope the results are good... and possibly helpful!
(10-30-2013, 09:49 AM)csrowan Wrote: All done. No sedation.

It was less horrific than I'd been led to expect, but there were a few points where I understood the desire for sedation.

The need to inflate the colon with air so they can see what they're doing gives some very intense feelings of bloating and an urgent desire to run to the restroom while they're in the lower part of the colon... which happens at the beginning and again as they're coming back out.

Then, at the very end, they reverse the camera and air hose so they can look the other way as they come out... and it feels like someone took an industrial strength vibrator, turned it up to 11, and put it in the wrong hole... not that I have the right one. Thankfully, that part lasts only a minute at most.

Actually, after all that was over, there was still more to come. I had three sensors on my chest and an IV taped to my arm (just in case I chickened out). The colonoscopy I could handle, but having my hair ripped out HURT!
Was the doctor a man?
No, he was an extraterrestrial. [Image: smiley-alien004.gif]