Cover Oregon: Health exchange mired in unexpected delays; what went wrong?
(11-13-2013, 12:37 PM)Willie Krash Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 08:35 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(11-12-2013, 08:43 AM)Willie Krash Wrote: If you take the time and look thru' Cover Oregon it's an eyeopener. It will save me money. Out of pocket expenses are capped and many needed procedures are without deductible. You can walk thru' plans and compare. I'm not unhappy at all. I'm three years away from evil gov't HC, can't wait. With Medicare and SS I get to join the 47%.
It will fell like being a congressman, pay me always, even during a shut down.

Yea, but that out of pocket cap is dramatically higher than it was pre-Obamacare. I love how people try to put a positive spin on being screwed, although most people who did not have insurance before will not realize just how badly they are getting shafted. My rates tripled for shitty coverage, So come Jan 1st, I'm out, Thanks Obamacare!

The deductibles are higher depending on what you can afford. Mine is $3,500 before the ACA. However under ACA I'm capped at $6,250 out of pocket with the same deductible.. If a junk plan covers say 50% of hospitalization you can go over that in one day. This is my understanding.
The public including myself aren't well educated on the ACA and that is the biggest failure imho. I went round and round with the MMT's editor as they thought and responded in the paper that if you don't pay the fine the IRS could attach your banking account. They can do nothing other than taking it out of your refund. I pointed out if Cover Oregon is correct I can get a plan with better benefits for $100 less than I'm paying now, it so I'll upgrade the plan.
It will get be by until I qualify for Medicare...Not long now.
You never know how good your junk plan is until you use it. An astonishing number of people are in bankruptcy for HC reasons that do have plans.

Pre-ACA you could easily have a plan that capped the out of pocket max at $3,000/yr. Post-ACA as you mentioned good luck finding an out of pocket cap for less than 6g's, it's not gonna happen. People get so caught up in the premiums, they do not realize how much more their out of pocket expenses are, from co-pays to deductibles etc. At the end of the day, the ACA is screwing everyone.
(11-13-2013, 10:26 AM)Scar Wrote: [Image: 2q08u4g.jpg]

Love it.... LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Laugh hearty while you can.
(11-13-2013, 01:30 PM)GPnative Wrote: Pre-ACA you could easily have a plan that capped the out of pocket max at $3,000/yr. Post-ACA as you mentioned good luck finding an out of pocket cap for less than 6g's, it's not gonna happen. People get so caught up in the premiums, they do not realize how much more their out of pocket expenses are, from co-pays to deductibles etc. At the end of the day, the ACA is screwing everyone.

Are you talking deductible or out of pocket? Any plan that limits your liability to $3K is a pretty nice plan. A really nice plan.
(11-13-2013, 05:33 PM)Willie Krash Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 01:30 PM)GPnative Wrote: Pre-ACA you could easily have a plan that capped the out of pocket max at $3,000/yr. Post-ACA as you mentioned good luck finding an out of pocket cap for less than 6g's, it's not gonna happen. People get so caught up in the premiums, they do not realize how much more their out of pocket expenses are, from co-pays to deductibles etc. At the end of the day, the ACA is screwing everyone.

Are you talking deductible or out of pocket? Any plan that limits your liability to $3K is a pretty nice plan. A really nice plan.

Yes, sorry, I goofed that....I double checked our current plan that changed last year and it's currently $7500 out of pocket max for individual. Not sure what it will be come Jan 1st, I don't have those plan docs in front of me right now. But I hold firm that at the end of the day the ACA is screwing everyone Big Grin
ACA,
no lifetime limits, no annual limits, can't be kicked off (canceled if you get sick), no pre-existing conditions (you could get a better job and not worry you can't get insured, mobility), your children can stay on until 26, preventive care built into the policy etc...
Here is a biggie, you really know what your out of pocket will really be within the confines of your plan.
If you think about the ACA solves the problem of insurance across state lines as a standard has been established, a big GOP talking point resolved.
(11-14-2013, 09:24 AM)Willie Krash Wrote: ACA,
no lifetime limits, no annual limits, can't be kicked off (canceled if you get sick), no pre-existing conditions (you could get a better job and not worry you can't get insured, mobility), your children can stay on until 26, preventive care built into the policy etc...
Here is a biggie, you really know what your out of pocket will really be within the confines of your plan.
If you think about the ACA solves the problem of insurance across state lines as a standard has been established, a big GOP talking point resolved.

Right, but they force you to have it and fine you if you don't, sorry, losing liberty is never worth it.

we could split hairs over plan details until the cows come home, does it do good things, sure, but so what.....it comes at too great a cost, figuratively and literally.
My reality, Pre ACA, had a great plan, really happy with it, had it for 6 years, affordable, etc, Post ACA, I can't afford any of the new plans unless I take a subsidy and put my kids on OHP, which I refuse to do. I will not give up our personal liberty to get my pittance from the government. A government proven to be untrustworthy has no business in my personal health affairs, let alone having a financial stake in it.
Just finished talking to my insurance agent. I told him the policy he brokered for me thru' Blue cross is being reissued with a new number, is it ACA compliant? Nope it is not.
To make the story shorter, I said I'll just go to cover Oregon and pick a plan and we can get it issued. Yep.
I said it looks I can get a better plan for less. Most likely with better benefits.
Are the numbers that it will cost correct? Not completely but very close.
So people can sign up thru an agent? Absolutely.
This was the gist of the conversation.
(11-14-2013, 01:38 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Just finished talking to my insurance agent. I told him the policy he brokered for me thru' Blue cross is being reissued with a new number, is it ACA compliant? Nope it is not.
To make the story shorter, I said I'll just go to cover Oregon and pick a plan and we can get it issued. Yep.
I said it looks I can get a better plan for less. Most likely with better benefits.

I have a meeting with my agent in 2 weeks to see if they can dig up any affordable options for me. She understands I will not sign up through CO or accept any subsidies, so it should prove to be an interesting meeting. I am hopeful but not very optimistic.
(11-14-2013, 02:52 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 01:38 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Just finished talking to my insurance agent. I told him the policy he brokered for me thru' Blue cross is being reissued with a new number, is it ACA compliant? Nope it is not.

I have a meeting with my agent in 2 weeks to see if they can dig up any affordable options for me. She understands I will not sign up through CO or accept any subsidies, so it should prove to be an interesting meeting. I am hopeful but not very optimistic.

I think Forrest Gump's mama used to say something about that kind of behavior.
[Image: obamacare-lie-billboard.jpg]
One of our daughters is declining the extra year of their current (cancelled) insurance policy. They are getting very similar coverage, same deductible... her bill is dropping from $360 to $180 per month... 2 adults and 2 children. She also said that they did end up emailing twice and that their emails were answered promptly, with clear answers.
[Image: 13753617-large.png]

Pooregon rates last in state run healthcare (welfare) exchanges. Good job!
Was the deadline extended? I just haven't been following this too closely; it's kind of depressing. We know which plan we want and how much it will cost but have to fill out the forms. We will pay exactly the same for a lower deductible and coverage for my college-age daughter. I could keep my current plan but it covers only me, the deductible is an extra thousand dollars and the cost will go up about $70.

Do current plans get automatically canceled on January 1st? I guess it's time to check CoverOregon again.

The problem is, this country wanted to do this while keeping insurance companies in the loop. The real answer is to get rid of them and go to a direct payer system.
(11-17-2013, 11:39 AM)TennisMom Wrote: The problem is, this country wanted to do this while keeping insurance companies in the loop. The real answer is to get rid of them and go to a direct payer system.

Bingo!
The same party that is stopping at nothing to see this fail, is the same party that insisted the insurance companies be kept in the loop.

Lobbyists and insurance companies making big bucks on the backs of the U. S. citizenry.

History will look back on this in wonderment and sadness.Sad
(11-17-2013, 11:39 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Was the deadline extended? I just haven't been following this too closely; it's kind of depressing. We know which plan we want and how much it will cost but have to fill out the forms. We will pay exactly the same for a lower deductible and coverage for my college-age daughter. I could keep my current plan but it covers only me, the deductible is an extra thousand dollars and the cost will go up about $70.

Do current plans get automatically canceled on January 1st? I guess it's time to check CoverOregon again.

The problem is, this country wanted to do this while keeping insurance companies in the loop. The real answer is to get rid of them and go to a direct payer system.

I don't think the ''country'' wanted to keep insurance companies in the loop as most polls show the people want a single payer and understand how simple Medicare is.

I also know that most in the Healthcare industry would prefer a single payer system, so the reason for their inclusion must be placed elsewhere.
(11-17-2013, 12:15 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(11-17-2013, 11:39 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Was the deadline extended? I just haven't been following this too closely; it's kind of depressing. We know which plan we want and how much it will cost but have to fill out the forms. We will pay exactly the same for a lower deductible and coverage for my college-age daughter. I could keep my current plan but it covers only me, the deductible is an extra thousand dollars and the cost will go up about $70.

I don't think the ''country'' wanted to keep insurance companies in the loop as most polls show the people want a single payer and understand how simple Medicare is.

I also know that most in the Healthcare industry would prefer a single payer system, so the reason for their inclusion must be placed elsewhere.

Polling is not at all clear that a majority favor a single payer system. Even if that were true, Americans certainly don't vote that way.

The ACA passed by a lamb's hair with no Republican votes. It's difficult to imagine something more liberal gaining the needed Congressional support to pass. If Americans want "Medicare For All" they need to start electing people who will vote for it.
(11-17-2013, 01:04 PM)MarkM Wrote: The ACA passed by a lamb's hair with no Republican votes. It's difficult to imagine something more liberal gaining the needed Congressional support to pass. If Americans want "Medicare For All" they need to start electing people who will vote for it.

Well I agree but tongue in cheek I'm a little over 2 years away from Medicare. I will have my full right to hate socialize HC and do my best to deny it to others. I'll just want to keep mine and not burden the grandkids don't ya know.
Private sector solution for the rest of you.
I feel like a GOP congressman.... Big GrinLaughing
(11-18-2013, 12:40 PM)Willie Krash Wrote:
(11-17-2013, 01:04 PM)MarkM Wrote: The ACA passed by a lamb's hair with no Republican votes. It's difficult to imagine something more liberal gaining the needed Congressional support to pass. If Americans want "Medicare For All" they need to start electing people who will vote for it.

Well I agree but tongue in cheek I'm a little over 2 years away from Medicare. I will have my full right to hate socialize HC and do my best to deny it to others. I'll just want to keep mine and not burden the grandkids don't ya know.

You don't have to sign up for Medicare, and you don't have to socialize.
(11-18-2013, 01:10 PM)tornado Wrote:
(11-18-2013, 12:40 PM)Willie Krash Wrote:

You don't have to sign up for Medicare, and you don't have to socialize.

But he will, and screw the grand kids as well. Who gets the blame for the thousands of doctors cut out of Medicare under ocare though?