Change: Threads auto closing
All,

We've made a change to the site where threads will now automatically close after 180 days (appx. 6 months) of no activity. We used to handle this manually whenever there was time available, but it is now automated.

This is done to prevent unnecessary posting to old topics ("necroposting") and to help battle spam (spammers usually target older, established content).

If you notice any issues, please let me know.

Thanks!

Kam
So, like this thread will close April 21, 2014?
Will it close at the end of the day or the beginning?
You're not content with it occurring exactly 4320 hours after being first posted?
Is that 6 months after being started, or 6 months after no one has posted in it?
6 months since the last post - if they remain active, then they don't get auto-closed. Updated my post to reflect that. Big Grin

It happens through an automated task, so usually early in the morning (midnight - 2 am) depending on server load.
Thanks for the clarification. Smiling
Terima Kasih. Wink
What I'm trying to figure out is what "unnecessary posting to old topics"is?
(10-23-2013, 07:32 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Terima Kasih. Wink

Laughing
Four stars and two thumbs up!
(10-23-2013, 09:22 PM)Tiamat Wrote: What I'm trying to figure out is what "unnecessary posting to old topics"is?

Sometimes, it's people bumping old threads to the top to cause a disturbance (or doing it to multiple threads at the same time to drown out newer threads).

More often, it's a spam bot trying to insert a link to their site. Older, more established topics are usually chosen because they rank "higher" in search engines, and they hope that the affiliation will help their spam site rank higher too.
spam bot, that would be a good user name.
[Image: spambot-300x267.jpg]
Can threads be reopened upon request? If so, what would be the preferred method?
(02-18-2014, 11:10 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Can threads be reopened upon request? If so, what would be the preferred method?

Well, nice to know in general. However, for spur of the moment posts it won't help me. I'll either just have to not post or start new threads that no one will read.Wink
(02-18-2014, 10:23 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-18-2014, 11:10 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Can threads be reopened upon request? If so, what would be the preferred method?

Well, nice to know in general. However, for spur of the moment posts it won't help me. I'll either just have to not post or start new threads that no one will read.Wink

Spontaneous is good but sometimes I think of posting something and don't actually get to it until a few days later.

Do you remember all the old threads or do you peruse them to see if you can add something fresh?
(02-18-2014, 10:33 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-18-2014, 10:23 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Spontaneous is good but sometimes I think of posting something and don't actually get to it until a few days later.

Do you remember all the old threads or do you peruse them to see if you can add something fresh?

Remember them? Oh, hell no! I have a terrible memory! And I don't go through them to think of something fresh. Usually it's something I've read somewhere else and it will remind me of an old thread that I could post something relevant to and then go look for it.

Why yes it can

Use the 'new thread' button and enter the old thread title you want to reopen.

Then start with a link to the old thread with the link button (ball and chain button) like this:

Change: Threads auto closing

And your good to go.

Big Grin
(02-18-2014, 11:34 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Why yes it can

Use the 'new thread' button and enter the old thread title you want to reopen.

Then start with a link to the old thread with the link button (ball and chain button

old thread

And your good to go.

Big Grin

Yeah....no. Or, maybe, yeah.