Open carry and die
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/...uties?lite

Quote:Andy Lopez was shot seven times on Tuesday by two Sonoma County deputies after he ignored orders to drop a pellet gun that officers said resembled an AK-47 rifle

All the kid had to do was DROP THE PELLET GUN.
He made the wrong choice.
(10-26-2013, 11:12 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(10-26-2013, 11:00 AM)Prospector Wrote: Tragic but shouldn't we be screaming at toy manufacturers to stop making replicas? What purpose does it serve?

News Report states neither the AK or pistol had the appropriate " orange color" markings for toy replicas.

If I was a parent would I be buying a replica based on current situations?

So now we ban toy guns? Blink
I doubt he needed to be be shot 7 times, but...
(10-26-2013, 11:15 AM)Scrapper Wrote: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/...uties?lite

Quote:Andy Lopez was shot seven times on Tuesday by two Sonoma County deputies after he ignored orders to drop a pellet gun that officers said resembled an AK-47 rifle

All the kid had to do was DROP THE PELLET GUN.
He made the wrong choice.

The entire incident took 10 seconds, from when the officer first saw the kid, he radioed in, made the order to drop the gun, fired the shots, and radioed back in. Somewhere in there he sounded his siren too.

If I was holding a pellet gun and I heard somebody yelling, I'd turn around and see what was going on too. Who has the idea in their head they should have to drop whatever they're carrying within seconds or else be shot 7 times (to death)?
(10-26-2013, 11:17 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I doubt he needed to be be shot 7 times, but...

Won't argue that point, that's for the investigators to determine if justified, to include FBI.

Quote:Peter Ho owns Air Soft Extreme in Santa Clara.

The guns he sells shoot small plastic BBs and not bullets. Ho says every replica gun has an orange tip on the end.

He says he teaches his customers that safety comes first and to assume anyone who sees the gun will think it is the real thing.

“That’s the first thing we teach parents. You don’t rely on that orange tip, or the fact that it’s a toy. You have to worry about what the other guy is thinking when they see it,” Ho said.

Quote:It all happened very quickly. Santa Rosa police released a timeline - to the second - of the shooting:

3:14:15 - Dispatch creates report of suspicious person walking near Moorland and West Robles avenues.
3:14:19:- Deputies call for emergency asistance.
3:14:25 - Deputies notifiy dispatch that shots have been fired.
3:14:41 - Emergency crews asked to come to the scene.
(10-26-2013, 11:00 AM)Prospector Wrote: Tragic but shouldn't we be screaming at toy manufacturers to stop making replicas? What purpose does it serve?

News Report states neither the AK or pistol had the appropriate " orange color" markings for toy replicas.

I don't think we can ban toy guns over this any more than we can ban real guns over this, but this is just one more example of how America's fascination with this gun culture stuff continues to cost us all as a nation. I only hope everyone is as proud of the toxic byproducts of this gun slinging legacy as they are of their romance with the whole concept. I've owned guns, I'm not against people owning guns, but I sure don't see much good coming out of them either.
(10-26-2013, 11:31 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

I don't think we can ban toy guns over this any more than we can ban real guns over this, but this is just one more example of how America's fascination with this gun culture stuff continues to cost us all as a nation. I only hope everyone is as proud of the toxic byproducts of this gun slinging legacy as they are of their romance with the whole concept. I've owned guns, I'm not against people owning guns, but I sure don't see much good coming out of them either.

A pellet gun isn't a toy gun. IMO it's a "real gun" that shoots projectiles. The one I use to kill those ground squirrels you love to whine about and could also kill a human being.
As far as your implication that what happened here is somehow the fault of all gun owners that's moronic. So is your opinion that nothing good ever comes from owning a gun.

This is an example of a tragic mistake That I fail to see how it could have been avoided. Our police must have the right to protect themselves. No one should expect them to wait for someone who appears to have a deadly weapon to point it at them. It's an example of police doing what they need to do to protect themselves.

I can't see how putting orange on toy guns would accomplish anything seeing how anyone could put orange paint on a real gun. In fact I think it's a bad idea because it only seems to muddy the waters. Golden rule, if you want to live a long, happy life, don't point real or toy guns at popo. Big Grin
(10-26-2013, 02:25 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I can't see how putting orange on toy guns would accomplish anything seeing how anyone could put orange paint on a real gun. In fact I think it's a bad idea because it only seems to muddy the waters. Golden rule, if you want to live a long, happy life, don't point real or toy guns at popo. Big Grin

True, very true. In any gun safety class, most will recommend that if you are going to carry long guns or even pistols, (if not CCW), to transport in a gun case.

Hand carrying any weapon in the open on any public street does invoke a scrutinizing eye and at least one call to authorities.

The orange color tip on replicas was a "legislative" action as I recall that hasn't worked. I still say to what end does it serve to buy any child an "assault style" toy?
What are we teaching our children? Ban toy guns? Take a look a the evolution of the toy gun from the 50's to present.

Police use replicas in training but are solid "blue" which is the international symbol for being "inert."
I think that perhaps we should equip the police with plastic pellet guns and we all could rest a little easier.
(10-26-2013, 11:17 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I doubt he needed to be be shot 7 times, but...

Wow, seven shots. That does seem excessive.

The OP is saying that open-carry can be risky. This incident reinforces his point. So, what the big argument, guys? If it looks like a gun and scares a cop, beware. If it is a toy that is realistic looking, beware.

Poor kid. But in this country, it isn't unusual for a kid his age to have the Real McCoy. Be careful out there, folks. Sad
(10-27-2013, 02:56 PM)TennisMom Wrote:

Wow, seven shots. That does seem excessive.

The OP is saying that open-carry can be risky. This incident reinforces his point. So, what the big argument, guys? If it looks like a gun and scares a cop, beware. If it is a toy that is realistic looking, beware.

Poor kid. But in this country, it isn't unusual for a kid his age to have the Real McCoy. Be careful out there, folks. Sad

The amount of shots always seems excessive. But in this case weren't there TWO cops? So is 3 or four shots from a pistol ( I think) excessive when someone turns on you with what you believe is an AK-47?

When I hear people say why did they shoot so many rounds I have to wonder if the first shot or the last shot was what stopped the assailant?
And I wonder if people realize you can shoot three rounds off in one second.

Cops are people. They were afraid... justifiably IMO.
(10-27-2013, 03:05 PM)tvguy Wrote: Cops are people. They were afraid... justifiably IMO.

I wouldn't disagree with that.
Quote:Tensions flared Tuesday between police officers and about 75 marchers carrying white crosses who flooded the Santa Rosa City Council chambers protesting the shooting death of Andy Lopez.

Demonstrators poured into the council meeting just as retiring Police Chief Tom Schwedhelm was being honored for his 30 years of service with a proclamation.

They loudly chanted “no justice, no peace,” and other slogans, some with bullhorns. Council members stopped the proceedings and most left the room.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/201.../131219956

Quote:Marchers called for justice and decried the fact that the deputy who shot and killed the 13-year-old Santa Rosa boy was back at work this week.