Helpful McD's hotline appears to steer employee to food stamps
WARNING: Adult Language

TV, capitalism as a system has worked for us but not unfettered capitalism. Greed must be regulated and so must capitalism. Rule and regulations give everyone a level playing field which is why they were enacted in the first place. People don't do the right thing because they are moral, good people. They do it because the law says they have to do so.

You are saying poverty is relative. Okay, let's go with that. So a person living in a roach-infested apartment building with a refrigerator, electricity, regular visits to the local food pantry for canned goods and spaghetti and a telephone should be happy while Mr. CEO has his pick of five mansions around the world, a couple of yachts, five-star restaurants, haute couture and jewelry etc.? Go ahead and tell the impoverished parent that he should sit down, shut up and be grateful. I'm sure he'll listen.
(11-01-2013, 11:53 AM)TennisMom Wrote: TV, capitalism as a system has worked for us but not unfettered capitalism. Greed must be regulated and so must capitalism. Rule and regulations give everyone a level playing field which is why they were enacted in the first place. People don't do the right thing because they are moral, good people. They do it because the law says they have to do so.

You are saying poverty is relative. Okay, let's go with that. So a person living in a roach-infested apartment building with a refrigerator, electricity, regular visits to the local food pantry for canned goods and spaghetti and a telephone should be happy while Mr. CEO has his pick of five mansions around the world, a couple of yachts, five-star restaurants, haute couture and jewelry etc.? Go ahead and tell the impoverished parent that he should sit down, shut up and be grateful. I'm sure he'll listen.

You talk about the fact that laws we have because with out them people don't do the right thing.
Fine we already have min wage laws.
When I asked what they should be I didn't get an answer. I got a non answer saying that dependsBlink

When I pointed out the fact that only the CEO's from these large franchises like MD's can afford to pay 15 bucks an hour but other local burger joints DON'T....

I don't think I got a response , unless I missed it.

Quote: Rule and regulations give everyone a level playing field which is why they were enacted in the first place.

Fine what sound the existing Rule and regulations that we have on min wage be increased to?

Wonky said the other day that somewhere, some city? they are indeed raising the min wage a whole lot. I would like to see this tried in a certain area to see what actually happens.
Tv, I have answered your question about the actual minimum wage as best I could. And yes, it depends. It depends on where in the country one works. In NYC, salaries are higher for almost every job which reflects an overall high cost of living. A fifteen-dollar minimum wage might work here in our area but not in others; certainly not in NYC.

You wanted to know how local franchises might compete against jobs where the pay is higher than they can manage against the big conglomerates. I don't have a specific answer to that except that they may have to charge higher prices. They may have to make their product better to justify the higher prices. The owners may have to take less money in order to remain competitive. A choice between a Big Mac for five bucks (or whatever it is) and a choice between a better burger for six bucks might be attractive to people.

No capitalistic society can operate without some obstacles - the viability of the market, demographics, supply and demand. Worker's pay is one of those obstacles and always has been. In the Gilded Age, workers were paid pennies for their hours of work while the owners of those factories, people like Carnegie, Vanderbilt and Rockefeller, lived lives of glamorous opulence. Our society reconciled that with higher taxes levied on those people. Other societies did it violently. Whatever the cause and effect, no society has ever functioned well with the balance of wealth tipped so far in one direction. Think of it like a see-saw.