Why I Kill My Own Food
Who can you trust?

[Image: whyikillmyownfood_zps8e29581b.jpg]
You know somebody designed that label. What were they on?
(10-29-2013, 06:05 PM)chuck white Wrote: You know somebody designed that label. What were they on?

I want what they have.... Big Grin
(10-29-2013, 06:12 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-29-2013, 06:05 PM)chuck white Wrote: You know somebody designed that label. What were they on?

Me too but aren't we now trying to behave in 2013? Rolling Eyes
(10-29-2013, 07:41 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

We? I've been behaving since 1986.
(10-29-2013, 08:06 PM)Larry Wrote:

I plan to start soon.
(10-29-2013, 11:06 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(10-29-2013, 08:06 PM)Larry Wrote:

I plan to start soon.

Are you guys making a blood oath?
Why I Kill My Own Food.... I thought maybe cuz it was easier to chew when it's dead.
Why I grow my own food and trade with people that kill theirs. It is less messy and bartering is cool.
(10-30-2013, 08:36 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Why I grow my own food and trade with people that kill theirs. It is less messy and bartering is cool.

Bartering.....a cool thing to do. Not only for food but services too.
[Image: bearskill_zps9fe43aaf.jpg]
Nothing like elk cutlets for breakfast....had moose, deer, caribou, but prefer elk meat.
My daughter's in-laws, who are visiting, live in Chisago, MN. (Not 'Chicago'). Their house is in rural MN on a lake. They have... Interesting... Neighbors. They grow and kill all their food. Now, I admire that. It takes work and determination to live off the land. They have special freezers and equipment for storing and cleaning everything. They have recipes for things like Beavertail Soup. They shoot ducks, pluck 'em and freeze them. Elk cutlets for breakfast wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

They don't have garbage pickup because they compost everything and burn the rest in a special incinerator.

All I can do is take off my hat to them and say... "YUCK"! Beavertail soup? Gag me with a spoon. Duck? They are all fat anyway. Elk... Well, elk is okay but why not just go to the local supermarket and buy a hunk of beef?

Growing, canning and storing your own vegetables? Why do that when you can be at the beach instead?
(11-02-2013, 11:53 AM)TennisMom Wrote: My daughter's in-laws, who are visiting, live in Chisago, MN. (Not 'Chicago'). Their house is in rural MN on a lake. They have... Interesting... Neighbors. They grow and kill all their food. Now, I admire that. It takes work and determination to live off the land. They have special freezers and equipment for storing and cleaning everything. They have recipes for things like Beavertail Soup. They shoot ducks, pluck 'em and freeze them. Elk cutlets for breakfast wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

They don't have garbage pickup because they compost everything and burn the rest in a special incinerator.

All I can do is take off my hat to them and say... "YUCK"! Beavertail soup? Gag me with a spoon. Duck? They are all fat anyway. Elk... Well, elk is okay but why not just go to the local supermarket and buy a hunk of beef?

Growing, canning and storing your own vegetables? Why do that when you can be at the beach instead?

It's funny that you ask why they live like that when they undoubtedly wonder why ANYONE would live in New York city.

I like being somewhere in between these two life styles.Smiling
(11-02-2013, 11:53 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Elk... Well, elk is okay but why not just go to the local supermarket and buy a hunk of beef?

Are you asking this with tongue in cheek? If not, Blink

On the elk: Because the elk is fresher and healthier for you than the beef you buy at the supermarket. There is also less chance of contamination from the processing.

Growing, etc. of the veggies? See reasons above.

Why would you be against anyone being self sufficient?
(11-02-2013, 12:33 PM)Larry Wrote:
(11-02-2013, 11:53 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Elk... Well, elk is okay but why not just go to the local supermarket and buy a hunk of beef?

Are you asking this with tongue in cheek? If not, Blink

On the elk: Because the elk is fresher and healthier for you than the beef you buy at the supermarket. There is also less chance of contamination from the processing.

Growing, etc. of the veggies? See reasons above.

Why would you be against anyone being self sufficient?

I said I admire people who live like that. When the world comes to end, they will be out there surviving while people like me wonder which end of a can to open. Jus' sayin' it ain't my cuppa tea to live like that, given a choice.
(11-02-2013, 11:57 AM)tvguy Wrote: It's funny that you ask why they live like that when they undoubtedly wonder why ANYONE would live in New York city.

I quite agree. Growing one's vegetables by choice and enjoying them when fresh (or going to a farm stand and buying) is one of life's great joys. I LOVE farm stands. Having to do it out of necessity makes it the kind of work I don't personally enjoy but respect the fact that others do.

Same with hunting animals. Hunting for food is an age-old activity as well as necessity for many. I'd just rather go to the supermarket, personally. Sleepy
(11-02-2013, 01:38 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(11-02-2013, 11:57 AM)tvguy Wrote: It's funny that you ask why they live like that when they undoubtedly wonder why ANYONE would live in New York city.

I quite agree. Growing one's vegetables by choice and enjoying them when fresh (or going to a farm stand and buying) is one of life's great joys. I LOVE farm stands. Having to do it out of necessity makes it the kind of work I don't personally enjoy but respect the fact that others do.

Same with hunting animals. Hunting for food is an age-old activity as well as necessity for many. I'd just rather go to the supermarket, personally. Sleepy

u-Pick its are fun?
Nobody's mentioned that it also fun, to kill your own food.