For you bakers
Next time you are in the book shop take a look at

The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
By Jeff Hertzberg
(10-30-2013, 04:25 PM)Prospector Wrote: Next time you are in the book shop take a look at

The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
By Jeff Hertzberg
Can you tell me why I should look at this bread book?
I don't know if that's the book I have, but I was given a similar book on artisan bread in five minutes a day. It works great. But I never trusted the oven enough to try baking it. Our oven is very temperamental. However, I've mastered the art of baking english muffins, naan bread, and various other flattish breads in a covered frying pan on the stovetop.
(10-30-2013, 04:47 PM)csrowan Wrote: I don't know if that's the book I have, but I was given a similar book on artisan bread in five minutes a day. It works great. But I never trusted the oven enough to try baking it. Our oven is very temperamental. However, I've mastered the art of baking english muffins, naan bread, and various other flattish breads in a covered frying pan on the stovetop.

WOW! I'll be checking it out. BTW...Pillsbury The Complete Book of Baking is a must have in the kitchen. I have the 1993 hardbound 1st edition. Wonderful book!
The book does NOT tell you how to bake on the stovetop. That's something I figured out on my own.

But it's a simple way to make bread, it tastes great, and it goes from beginner (three ingredients) to advanced (I never went past beginner).
Jim and Tammy were my favorite Bakers
(10-30-2013, 04:39 PM)Jeep Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 04:25 PM)Prospector Wrote: Next time you are in the book shop take a look at

By Jeff Hertzberg
Can you tell me why I should look at this bread book?

Just a quick way to make Artisan bread in five minutes. I hate store bought bread..too light
(10-30-2013, 04:47 PM)csrowan Wrote: I don't know if that's the book I have, but I was given a similar book on artisan bread in five minutes a day. It works great. But I never trusted the oven enough to try baking it. Our oven is very temperamental. However, I've mastered the art of baking english muffins, naan bread, and various other flattish breads in a covered frying pan on the stovetop.

You use an indoor oven?
I thought everyone had an outdoor wood oven?

By Jeff Hertzberg

I'll check it out! Love baking in the winter!
This one has been a very popular way to make an artisan style bread. I'm not a baker. Too impatient and too absent minded and too imprecise.
(10-30-2013, 07:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: This one has been a very popular way to make an artisan style bread. I'm not a baker. Too impatient and too absent minded and too imprecise.
Nice Tia, but I cant bake so I pay people that can. Hey bakers, I will buy your bread. You don't even have to meet me. You can drop it off at my favorite tavern and pick up the envelope meant for you. Or you can meet me behind the Safeway store in GP on G street. Come alone.
(10-30-2013, 08:19 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 07:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: This one has been a very popular way to make an artisan style bread. I'm not a baker. Too impatient and too absent minded and too imprecise.
Nice Tia, but I cant bake so I pay people that can. Hey bakers, I will buy your bread. You don't even have to meet me. You can drop it off at my favorite tavern and pick up the envelope meant for you. Or you can meet me behind the Safeway store in GP on G street. Come alone.

Can I bring Uncle "The Animal" Barbozo with me?

[Image: animal.jpg]

Well, I made the dough and it's resting for 24hrs. Will report back tomorrow.
(10-31-2013, 02:37 PM)Jeep Wrote:

Well, I made the dough and it's resting for 24hrs. Will report back tomorrow.

And???
Excellent! Mix up the dough(hand mixer), cover for 24 hours, drop into a heavy dutch oven and bake. Crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. Even better the next morning toasted. Thinking I may use a loaf pan next time just to experiment with the dough.
(11-05-2013, 08:20 PM)Jeep Wrote: Excellent! Mix up the dough(hand mixer), cover for 24 hours, drop into a heavy dutch oven and bake. Crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. Even better the next morning toasted. Thinking I may use a loaf pan next time just to experiment with the dough.

Great to hear. I hate bread that falls apart. I love a good toasted bread that holds up to peanut butter and freezer jam
Second batch of dough resting in my vintage yellow pyrex mixing bowl. Found the bowl at a garage sale for a buck. Thinking of adding dried cherries and orange zest to the dough tomorrow. Sweet breakfast bread? Maybe french toast?
(11-07-2013, 08:36 PM)Jeep Wrote: Second batch of dough resting in my vintage yellow pyrex mixing bowl. Found the bowl at a garage sale for a buck. Thinking of adding dried cherries and orange zest to the dough tomorrow. Sweet breakfast bread? Maybe french toast?

Thumbs Up

What time is breakfast? We'll all be there! Big Grin
(11-07-2013, 08:36 PM)Jeep Wrote: Second batch of dough resting in my vintage yellow pyrex mixing bowl. Found the bowl at a garage sale for a buck. Thinking of adding dried cherries and orange zest to the dough tomorrow. Sweet breakfast bread? Maybe french toast?

YUMMY!

From that recipe? Cool! At least someone can get use out of it!!