Oh, This Happens All the Time
Shots broke out at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday morning, wounding multiple people including at least one Transportation Security Administration officer who reportedly has died. The scene is obviously horrific, and it's the exact sort of nightmare that every traveler dreads to face.

But, it turns out, loaded weapons get stopped at security checkpoints all the time.

Over the last week, the TSA discovered 29 firearms—27 of which were loaded. Here, from the TSA, is the breakdown of what kinds of guns were found where:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/defense/t...g-20131101

R U feeling safe, people? Neutral
(11-01-2013, 12:26 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Shots broke out at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday morning, wounding multiple people including at least one Transportation Security Administration officer who reportedly has died. The scene is obviously horrific, and it's the exact sort of nightmare that every traveler dreads to face.

But, it turns out, loaded weapons get stopped at security checkpoints all the time.

Over the last week, the TSA discovered 29 firearms—27 of which were loaded. Here, from the TSA, is the breakdown of what kinds of guns were found where:

Sheesh you want more checkpoints but now you complain because they find weapons at the ones they already have?

And how many of these guns were found on honest law abiding citizens who had a permit to carry and just forgot to store it before the attempted to board?
I can tell you that I've never "forgotten" that I have a knife attached to my keychain when I travel by plane.
(11-01-2013, 12:45 PM)csrowan Wrote: I can tell you that I've never "forgotten" that I have a knife attached to my keychain when I travel by plane.

Good for you Rowan, so what? Are you saying that none of those weapons they found on people were simply what I described.

I think the idea that we need to be afraid because they find about 29 people a week who have a gun out of a million people is very strange.

You undoubtedly are around a lot more armed people when you are in any crowd OTHER than an airport.
You asked how many of those guns were found on people who simply forgot to store them before going through the security checkpoints.

I can't speak for the gun owners, but as a knife owner, I've always made damned sure I've never taken a knife through a security checkpoint, even if it's meant turning around and going back to the car to drop it off.
(11-01-2013, 01:10 PM)csrowan Wrote: You asked how many of those guns were found on people who simply forgot to store them before going through the security checkpoints.

I can't speak for the gun owners, but as a knife owner, I've always made damned sure I've never taken a knife through a security checkpoint, even if it's meant turning around and going back to the car to drop it off.

Good for you, too bad everyone isn't just like you..RazzRazz not reallyLaughing

Some people fly damn near every day Rowan. Some people store their weapon in a locked safe bolted in the trunk of their car.
I can see how someone under pressure in a huge hurry could forget.

I asked you once already Are you saying that none of those weapons they found on people were simply what I described.

You just ignored my question and repeater your little knife story.
Yup. I repeated my little knife story. I also said that I can't speak for the gun owners.

However, I find it odd that I can remember that I'm carrying a tiny sharp object that's not supposed to be carried on planes, but they can't remember that they're carrying a FUCKING GUN!!!
(11-01-2013, 01:46 PM)csrowan Wrote: Yup. I repeated my little knife story. I also said that I can't speak for the gun owners.

However, I find it odd that I can remember that I'm carrying a tiny sharp object that's not supposed to be carried on planes, but they can't remember that they're carrying a FUCKING GUN!!!

You're odd. Not everyone is like you Rowan der. Some people have bad memories, some people are under a ton of pressure, some people are on medication, some people are elderly, Some may have Alzheimer's , some arejust morons.
Why is what you do so damned important? I've never left my wallet or keys on a counter at a store but some people do this all the time. Women leave their purses with all their ID and money in shopping carts.
I've never forgot where I parked my car.. others do.

But you can't see how some people, a couple dozen out of a MILLION can forget they have a concealed weapon?
It's a little hard to understand how someone could forget they're carrying a gun just before walking through a checkpoint where they know people are going to check to see if they have a gun, yes.
I have traveled extensively with a Glock 40SW and one long gun plus ammo through many airports. All unloaded, properly tagged, ammo ID, paperwork in order, personal ID in order. I have lockable gun cases and made the proper declarations to Airline agents and TSA.

No issues. I do make pre-calls to airlines to make sure nothing has changed as far as FAA or TSA regulations or airline rules, some flights are limited.

Seems not to be a problem.

But agree, brain farts about walking up to checkpoints with weapons just beats the imagination.
(11-01-2013, 02:07 PM)csrowan Wrote: It's a little hard to understand how someone could forget they're carrying a gun just before walking through a checkpoint where they know people are going to check to see if they have a gun, yes.

Yes I agree it is a little hard to understand. Especially if you ignore every single scenario I just got through mentioning and the sheer volume of people that go through one of the biggest airports in the world.
(11-01-2013, 02:14 PM)Prospector Wrote: I have traveled extensively with a Glock 40SW and one long gun plus ammo through many airports. All unloaded, properly tagged, ammo ID, paperwork in order, personal ID in order. I have lockable gun cases and made the proper declarations to Airline agents and TSA.

No issues. I do make pre-calls to airlines to make sure nothing has changed as far as FAA or TSA regulations or airline rules, some flights are limited.

Seems not to be a problem.

But agree, brain farts about walking up to checkpoints with weapons just beats the imagination.

Concerning human beings and what they do nothing surprises me.

Out of a million people you are not one of the tiny fraction who do have a problem. I'm sure I wouldn't either.
Personally, I think it's more likely that they think they can manage to sneak it through somehow. I'm less concerned with the number that are found, and more concerned with the number that AREN'T.
(11-01-2013, 02:21 PM)csrowan Wrote: Personally, I think it's more likely that they think they can manage to sneak it through somehow. I'm less concerned with the number that are found, and more concerned with the number that AREN'T.

I think they do as good of a job of keeping guns off of planes and possible. I see no reason to worry.
And sure some idiots might think they can smuggle a gun through just like some could forget.
(11-01-2013, 12:26 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Shots broke out at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday morning, wounding multiple people including at least one Transportation Security Administration officer who reportedly has died. The scene is obviously horrific, and it's the exact sort of nightmare that every traveler dreads to face.

I don't feel "safe". But it's not because guns are still legal. It's what's wrong with people that they feel the need to do this that really scares me. However, that said, I would have no problem with gun laws really, because I'm not a gun owner or user. We have horrible instances of violence that are related to guns. And the fact that young people can get them and are a large part of mass shootings is true and scary. But what would it take to get this Country to submit to such gun control. Maybe a school full of young children being massacred? No? Didn't happen. So, what would make that happen?
(11-01-2013, 07:16 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I don't feel "safe". But it's not because guns are still legal. It's what's wrong with people that they feel the need to do this that really scares me. However, that said, I would have no problem with gun laws really, because I'm not a gun owner or user. We have horrible instances of violence that are related to guns. And the fact that young people can get them and are a large part of mass shootings is true and scary. But what would it take to get this Country to submit to such gun control. Maybe a school full of young children being massacred? No? Didn't happen. So, what would make that happen?
Yup I'm OK with guns too. I don't have a solution to the horrible level of gun violence in this country. I am however sure more guns is not the answer.
(11-01-2013, 07:36 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Yup I'm OK with guns too. I don't have a solution to the horrible level of gun violence in this country. I am however sure more guns is not the answer.

My answer would be to quickly eliminate anyone who uses a gun to commit any crime. Big Grin
(11-01-2013, 07:48 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-01-2013, 07:36 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

My answer would be to quickly eliminate anyone who uses a gun to commit any crime. Big Grin

And, you think that would be a deterrent? Or even possible? What a mess. Anyone who commits any crime with a firearm? What a cluster F*** that would be.
(11-01-2013, 08:19 PM)Tiamat Wrote: And, you think that would be a deterrent? Yes. Or even possible? No, but it would get rid of BAD people. What a mess. Anyone who commits any crime with a firearm? Yes. Only really bad people use a gun to commit crimes. Big Grin What a cluster F*** that would be. Why? If everyone knows the result? Won't need to build more prisons either.

Guess it's good I'm not King eh? Laughing
(11-01-2013, 09:03 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-01-2013, 08:19 PM)Tiamat Wrote: And, you think that would be a deterrent? Yes. Or even possible? No, but it would get rid of BAD people. What a mess. Anyone who commits any crime with a firearm? Yes. Only really bad people use a gun to commit crimes. Big Grin What a cluster F*** that would be. Why? If everyone knows the result? Won't need to build more prisons either.

Guess it's good I'm not King eh? Laughing

Why?
Look at how hard it is to get an execution now!