How's your health?
Glad to hear you got a diagnoses. If you are interested in a book with some answers regarding neuropathy, check out this one by Dr. Bob Martin:

Secret Nerve Cures http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936631040/?tag...c8esigv1_e

Nerves are a sort of mystery to most of us. Sadly, more people than ever suffer from nerve conditions such as neuropathy, shingles, low back pain and more, and many don't realize that unhealthy nerves are at the root of their problems. Fortunately, the newly released book, Secret Nerve Cures, offers hope and potential solutions to nerve conditions of every sort. Authored by Dr. Bob Martin, DC, CCN, DACBN, ABAAHP and nationally syndicated health talk show host, Secret Nerve Cures addresses the human plague of nerve disorders spread consequentially via our modern lifestyle and numerous therapies and solutions for those disorders. These solutions vary widely and include dietary approaches, physical therapy, topical applications, and nutritional supplements.
Given that neuropathy is a both correlated with MTHFR and is also a hereditary disease (with at least my my mother, uncle, and grandmother suffering from it), I don't think that making "unhealthy nerves" healthy through diet or therapy is the answer.

I also don't think that reading a book written by a quack is the answer either.

Quote:Dr. Bob Martin holds a science certification from the University of South Dakota Of Medicine, as well as being board certified in Anti-Aging Medicine through the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. (A.B.A.A.H.P.) Dr. Martin is double board certified as a Clinical Nutritionist (C.C.N.) through both the International and American Associations of Clinical Nutritionists and as a Diplomat of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition (D.A.C.B.N.). Additionally, Dr. Martin is a board certified Chiropractic Physician and Physiotherapist in the state of Arizona, Colorado, and Kentucky. He is certified in Applied Kinesiology and has training in the fields of medicine, acupuncture, herbology, sports medicine, and exercise physiology.
(11-27-2013, 02:18 PM)csrowan Wrote: Given that neuropathy is a both correlated with MTHFR and is also a hereditary disease (with at least my my mother, uncle, and grandmother suffering from it), I don't think that making "unhealthy nerves" healthy through diet or therapy is the answer.

I also don't think that reading a book written by a quack is the answer either.

Quote:Dr. Bob Martin holds a science certification from the University of South Dakota Of Medicine, as well as being board certified in Anti-Aging Medicine through the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. (A.B.A.A.H.P.) Dr. Martin is double board certified as a Clinical Nutritionist (C.C.N.) through both the International and American Associations of Clinical Nutritionists and as a Diplomat of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition (D.A.C.B.N.). Additionally, Dr. Martin is a board certified Chiropractic Physician and Physiotherapist in the state of Arizona, Colorado, and Kentucky. He is certified in Applied Kinesiology and has training in the fields of medicine, acupuncture, herbology, sports medicine, and exercise physiology.
Too bad about your mother. How can one walk with one shoe on, and not notice a limp. You and your mom must have been walking on the side of a hill.Laughing
I heard smoking pot was good for neuropathy.
That's for the pain, which I don't have.
(11-27-2013, 11:00 PM)csrowan Wrote: That's for the pain, which I don't have.

So is aspirin....

It's for more than pain
Pain is what is required to get a approval from your doctor.

Like aspirin, it has many health effects other than pain relief.
For anyone who cares... and mostly just so I can talk about it...

We ran some more genetic tests related to the methylation process. If you recall, I've got two mutated copies of the MTHFR gene. Apparently, approximately 30% of people have 2 mutated copies, one way or another. Mine just happen to both have the exact same mutation.

But there are other genes involved in the methylation process, and I had those tested as well. Both copies of my MTHFD gene are mutated as well. Although mutations are common, I'm the first person with homozygous mutations of both the MTHFR and MTHFD genes that my doctor had ever seen, and he's spent a fair amount of time studying this sort of thing.

Meanwhile, I've been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, with symptoms much beyond what someone my age should have. Probably related to my MTHFR and MTHFD.

And nothing new with my tics. Going up to Bend to see a neurologist there in a few weeks.
(01-02-2014, 11:19 PM)csrowan Wrote: For anyone who cares... and mostly just so I can talk about it...

We ran some more genetic tests related to the methylation process. If you recall, I've got two mutated copies of the MTHFR gene. Apparently, approximately 30% of people have 2 mutated copies, one way or another. Mine just happen to both have the exact same mutation.

But there are other genes involved in the methylation process, and I had those tested as well. Both copies of my MTHFD gene are mutated as well. Although mutations are common, I'm the first person with homozygous mutations of both the MTHFR and MTHFD genes that my doctor had ever seen, and he's spent a fair amount of time studying this sort of thing.

Meanwhile, I've been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, with symptoms much beyond what someone my age should have. Probably related to my MTHFR and MTHFD.

And nothing new with my tics. Going up to Bend to see a neurologist there in a few weeks.

I hope things get better and better, Rowan.