Middle School Football Team Party at Hooters: Good/Bad idea?
What say you?

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index....tball.html
Quote:Corbett Middle School's football coach plans to wrap up the team's season by taking his 12- to 14-year-old players to Hooters, a restaurant best known for female servers in tight tanktops.

In a letter written to “Families and Friends of Corbett 7th/8th Grade Football,” Athletic Director J.P. Soulagnet said he tried to persuade coach Randy Burbach to move the event to another location, so that "families could attend and feel comfortable." But Burbach was “unyielding and emphatically said no,” Soulagnet wrote.

The letter was posted on the Corbett School District website this morning. [Full text is below.] Burbach could not immediately be reached for comment.

Mike Painter, a parent volunteer, praised Burbach and said it would be a shame if the Hooters controversy resulted in him not continuing as coach.

"It would be a huge loss for the kids," Painter said. "This guy is as good as it gets."

Soulagnet's note mentions one athletic patron who announced by email that his family would not attend the celebration if it were held at Hooters. But the athletic director said the discomfort level in the district is widespread.
“I spoke to many people over the weekend regarding the location of the event and time after time they looked at me in disbelief," Soulagnet wrote. "I started the conversation off with posing a question. Outside of a bar, tavern, or strip club where would be the next worse place in the lines of restaurants to take a middle school football team to? Time after time the reply was Hooters.”

The athletic director said the football party is no longer affiliated with Corbett Middle School, and it appears Burbach and perhaps other team coaches might not be far behind. Soulagnet wrote that he “cannot further support them in coaching roles here at Corbett based on the unwillingness to change the location of this event to a more appropriate spot.”

Painter, the parent volunteer, said Burbach bought the kids dinner after every game and also bought them pizza when they went to his house to review film for game preparation. He also took them on a team trip to Mount Hood. Painter guesses that Burbach spent $1,000 to $2,000 of his own money.

"He went so far over and above what any coach would do," Painter said. "It's unbelievable. It's because he cares."

Painter said he didn't personally have a problem with having the party at Hooters, which he said was chosen for its fun and "family" atmosphere and it gave them an ability to show some season video highlights. But because there were some concerns, Painter said perhaps changing party locations would be appropriate. He said he saw emails from 2-3 concerned parents.

The Corbett School District, known for its nationally recognized and sometimes controversial academic programs, serves a rural area at the east end of Multnomah County. The closest Hooters to the unincorporated community is in Portland's Jantzen Beach area, according to the restaurant chain's website.
Phil Pearson, principal of the district's middle and high schools, posted Soulagnet's letter on the district's website and said he supported his AD's approach.

Here is the full text of the letter:

An important notice about MS Football
November 4, 2013
By Phil Pearson

This is the text of the letter Athletic Director JP Soulagnet sent out to the families of MS football players. I fully endorse JP’s approach to this issue.

Dear Families and Friends of Corbett 7th/8th Grade Football –

First I want to thank Brian Davis for the e-mail he sent out regarding the end of the year celebration and the fact that he and his family will not be in attendance. I spoke with Randy Burbach this evening and asked him to move the event to a different venue so that all of the athletes and their families could attend and feel comfortable about the location and enjoy the season. He was unyielding and emphatically said no for a number of reasons. As a school district and athletic department we do not support nor condone the decision to hold an end of season celebration at Hooter’s for any of our teams, groups, or clubs cross the board and at at all levels including high school. This was a choice made by Randy Burbach on his own accord. This is no longer a Corbett Middle School Football event.

I’m disappointed on a many different levels. The one that affects me the most however is the fact that “the team” is the one that loses out. It has become an issue that is no longer about your boys.

Another unfortunate thing is that we will lose coaches that did a great job turning a group of middle school boys into a cohesive, affective football team. I’m very supportive of the time and effort that they have put in and contributed towards Corbett Football but cannot further support them in coaching roles here at Corbett based on the unwillingness to change the location of this event to a more appropriate spot.

I spoke to many people over the weekend regarding the location of the event and time after time they looked at me in disbelief. I started the conversation off with posing a question. Outside of a bar, tavern, or strip club where would be the next worse place in the lines of restaurants to take a middle school football team to? Time after time the reply was Hooters.

Their menu and food is good! They however are not known worldwide for their family style restaurant. If you have never been to a Hooter’s restaurant you can visit their website at www.hooters.com. This international chain bills itself as “delightfully tacky yet unrefined”.

Some might say that this restaurant objectifies women. I would tend to agree. It is not a restaurant that I would feel good about my wife or daughter working at. I think it sends the wrong message to our young men and that saddens and worries me the most. I’m surprised that more families are not concerned. If my son had played on this team our family would not be in attendance as well. As a 21 year old he was shocked about the location.
I agree it's a poor choice to take 12- to 14-year-olds to Hooters. Silly me, I always thought Hooters was a bar.
But I disagree with the prudes comments below. As far as I'm concerned this person can move to the middle east.

Some might say that this restaurant objectifies women. I would tend to agree. It is not a restaurant that I would feel good about my wife or daughter working at. I think it sends the wrong message to our young men and that saddens and worries me the most. I’m surprised that more families are not concerned.
I doubt he'd do it again, so it's probably a moot question.
http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index....cart_river

Quote:A Corbett middle-school football coach said he feels blindsided by criticism of his planned end-of-season party at Hooters, the restaurant that features women in tight tanktops.

“I believe this is a fine venue,” said Randall Burbach. “It’s not a strip club. If you have a dirty mind, you’ll find dirt.”

The coach said he will move forward with the party this week, as planned, for the team’s 12-to 14-year-old players and their families to attend.

“You teach your linemen to play through pressure,” he said of the controversy, “and that’s exactly what’s happening to me.”
Oh, it hasn't happened yet. Smiling He'll probably lose his job over this one.
(11-05-2013, 12:00 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Oh, it hasn't happened yet. Smiling He'll probably lose his job over this one.

I don't know... but this article states he has been fired.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Corbett-football...73061.html
Quote:PORTLAND – Corbett Middle School football coach Randall Burbach has been fired for planning an awards dinner at a Jantzen Beach Hooters.
Maybe it is a fine restaurant. And it's not like these kids lives will be ruined forever because they get to see part of some boobies.
Especially considering seeing garbage like Miliey Cyrus on TV.
(11-05-2013, 12:03 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 12:00 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Oh, it hasn't happened yet. Smiling He'll probably lose his job over this one.

I don't know... but this article states he has been fired.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Corbett-football...73061.html
Quote:PORTLAND – Corbett Middle School football coach Randall Burbach has been fired for planning an awards dinner at a Jantzen Beach Hooters.

Well I'm thinking he wasn't fired for what he planned but rather for being a dumb ass and refusing to listen to peoples objections.
I agree with TVg that it's probably a poor decision. However, we've been to the Hooters in Waikiki several times and there was always a mix of people including families. I never felt like it was something 'icky' or something to be hidden from children. The worst thing about Hooters is their 9-1-1 Chicken Wings! They'll burn a hole through your gut! Twitch Laughing
There's a reason why it's called "Hooters" and it's not because of the chicken breast.

It was a marketing ploy to bring in the men by parading women, period.
(11-05-2013, 12:14 PM)Prospector Wrote: There's a reason why it's called "Hooters" and it's not because of the chicken breast.

I've seen better looking and bustier women on the streets and in restaurants everywhere. Well maybe not in Grants Pass, but in the more civilized cities of our state.

Prospector, women are objectifying themselves. Ask Scrapper even she is considering a boob job huh Scrapper? Don't be such a prude. Of course there is no way in hell I would have taken students there middle school or high school. Moms of school kids hate that stuff.

Damn Prospector you edited your post.
(11-05-2013, 12:14 PM)Prospector Wrote: There's a reason why it's called "Hooters" and it's not because of the chicken breast.

Ya think? DerRazz
(11-05-2013, 01:14 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

I've seen better looking and bustier women on the streets and in restaurants everywhere. Well maybe not in Grants Pass, but in the more civilized cities of our state.

Prospector, women are objectifying themselves. Ask Scrapper even she is considering a boob job huh Scrapper? Don't be such a prude. Of course there is no way in hell I would have taken students there middle school or high school. Moms of school kids hate that stuff.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Hey, not to give TMI but... I nursed 3 kids... one of which was born weighing in at 10 pounds... he was born a flippin' toddler! Twitch Ya think that kid couldn't put it away?!?! Embarrassed There was a time I thought it might be nice to have "the girls" put back where they used to be Eyebrows ... but now I'm an old broad... a Granny... doesn't seem so important at this time in my life. Besides, Clone always told me I had awesome boobs! Big Grin

Don't remember editing. Still think Hooters not the place for kids...based on the clientele that show up.

Boob jobs...interesting. Some might invest in other aspects of self before throwing silicone or saltwater inserts around.
I haven't heard Scrapper saying anything about wanting a boob job, for whatever that's worth. I made a joke about boob enlargement when she had surgery recently, since she didn't seem to want to talk about what specifically she was having done, just that it involved surgery. It was sort of a low class joke anyway, I admit it but then I'm sort of a low class kind of guy too. Smiling That might be where you got the idea from.
(11-05-2013, 08:12 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I haven't heard Scrapper saying anything about wanting a boob job, for whatever that's worth. I made a joke about boob enlargement when she had surgery recently, since she didn't seem to want to talk about what specifically she was having done, just that it involved surgery. It was sort of a low class joke anyway, I admit it but then I'm sort of a low class kind of guy too. Smiling That might be where you got the idea from.

Ha! Laughing I had oral surgery. Zipped I guess you all missed this:

(11-05-2013, 01:22 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Hey, not to give TMI but... I nursed 3 kids... one of which was born weighing in at 10 pounds... he was born a flippin' toddler! Twitch Ya think that kid couldn't put it away?!?! Embarrassed There was a time I thought it might be nice to have "the girls" put back where they used to be Eyebrows ... but now I'm an old broad... a Granny... doesn't seem so important at this time in my life. Besides, Clone always told me I had awesome boobs! Big Grin
Now that I'm over 55, I'm getting awesome boobs too.
(11-05-2013, 09:52 PM)chuck white Wrote: Now that I'm over 55, I'm getting awesome boobs too.

Moobs!
(11-05-2013, 09:53 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 09:52 PM)chuck white Wrote: Now that I'm over 55, I'm getting awesome boobs too.

Moobs!

Guess I'll have to get a bro.
(11-05-2013, 09:55 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(11-05-2013, 09:53 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Moobs!

Guess I'll have to get a bro.

Now that is TMI