Get a free phone from the gubment
With 1000 texts and 250 minutes of air time renewable EVERY month.

Who knew? I signed up a poverty stricken friend who lives by working the systemRazz
Anyway If anyone knows someone who qualifies you could help them out.Smiling

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enrollm...wHome.html
Does that make you complicit in helping people work the system?
(11-06-2013, 06:05 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Does that make you complicit in helping people work the system?

The guys health is bad and at least he can call an ambulance if needed. IMO he works the system because he could work if he chose to but as long as the government feeds him he won't.
Well, that makes it sound like maybe the guy really needs the phone. Then one wonders, should people in bad health be forced to work anyway? But that's not this threads point is it. Smiling
(11-06-2013, 06:45 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, that makes it sound like maybe the guy really needs the phone. Then one wonders, should people in bad health be forced to work anyway? But that's not this threads point is it. Smiling

I never said he didn't need a phone. This person has bad health now because of excessive drinking. He hasn't worked in years and when he did it was under the table so he received food stamps then also.
He just did a 30 day stay at Rogue valley hospital, got out and started drinking the next day. Add that bill that will never be paid to several emergency room visits.
So yes he works the system, I don't really care that much. I just wondered if it was common knowledge that poor people can get a free phone.
They said it was a cell phone.
Last time I was in a jail cell, they had a phone.
I don't think I want one of them cell phones.
(11-06-2013, 08:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-06-2013, 06:45 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, that makes it sound like maybe the guy really needs the phone. Then one wonders, should people in bad health be forced to work anyway? But that's not this threads point is it. Smiling

I never said he didn't need a phone. This person has bad health now because of excessive drinking. He hasn't worked in years and when he did it was under the table so he received food stamps then also.
He just did a 30 day stay at Rogue valley hospital, got out and started drinking the next day. Add that bill that will never be paid to several emergency room visits.
So yes he works the system, I don't really care that much. I just wondered if it was common knowledge that poor people can get a free phone.

Yes, it's been something that's been available for several years. But truthfully, I know very few folks who know about it or take advantage of it. So, it's available but not well known.
I'm going to have to be poor one of these days, I think I'd be better off.
(11-06-2013, 08:44 PM)tvguy Wrote: I never said he didn't need a phone. This person has bad health now because of excessive drinking. He hasn't worked in years and when he did it was under the table so he received food stamps then also.

It sounds like this poor guy is off-the-grid, so to speak. I feel sorry for people like that.

As to the Rogue Valley Hospital stay, that cost will be charged to patients who are admitted with insurance. The ACA, by insisting that everyone have some kind of insurance, will negate everyone else having to pay for those without.
(11-07-2013, 03:37 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(11-06-2013, 08:44 PM)tvguy Wrote: I never said he didn't need a phone. This person has bad health now because of excessive drinking. He hasn't worked in years and when he did it was under the table so he received food stamps then also.

It sounds like this poor guy is off-the-grid, so to speak. I feel sorry for people like that.

He has a travel trailer, water, sewer, electricity and even cable TV that the company forgot to disconnect.
The only bill he has,electricity) is paid for by a family member.

I don't feel sorry for him one tiny bit. This is the life he chose.

Quote:As to the Rogue Valley Hospital stay, that cost will be charged to patients who are admitted with insurance. The ACA, by insisting that everyone have some kind of insurance, will negate everyone else having to pay for those without.

I realize that TM but anyway you slice it society pays for people like this. In my world and looking at all of the money this country blows I don't care a whole lot.

But unlike many of you I totally understand why this kind of stuff pisses people some off.
(11-06-2013, 09:18 PM)chuck white Wrote: I'm going to have to be poor one of these days, I think I'd be better off.

No kidding. I can only imagine how nice it would have been for me if I could have had the huge income tax returns that poor people with kids get today.
(11-07-2013, 03:37 PM)TennisMom Wrote:

As to the Rogue Valley Hospital stay, that cost will be charged to patients who are admitted with insurance. The ACA, by insisting that everyone have some kind of insurance, will negate everyone else having to pay for those without.

Even better would be a ''single'' payer system or, the only real solution to the high cost is for everyone to be on Medicare, eliminating the for profit Health Insurance Industry. Well at least the option to buy into Medicare.

If everyone understood that I have better insurance under Medicare part A and B than most every for profit insurance company they might change their minds. Though Medicare needs to add hearing and vision to the roster.
Why does anyone NEED 1000 free texts and 250 minutes!! That's crazy. There are phones that ONLY call 911.
That kind of pisses me off. I guess we're paying for that, huh?
(11-07-2013, 08:51 PM)kadylady Wrote: Why does anyone NEED 1000 free texts and 250 minutes!! That's crazy. There are phones that ONLY call 911.

Actually, I was wrong you get 1000 texts OR 250 minutes.

Any phone will work to call 911, even when it's not working for anything else.
(11-07-2013, 10:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 08:51 PM)kadylady Wrote: Why does anyone NEED 1000 free texts and 250 minutes!! That's crazy. There are phones that ONLY call 911.

Actually, I was wrong you get 1000 texts OR 250 minutes.

Any phone will work to call 911, even when it's not working for anything else.

That's what I thought. I don't understand the reasoning for providing cell phone service to someone for free.
UnsureNeutral
They might use it to get a job.
If we could get them all to do a little prostitution or drug dealing on the side, we could get away with paying them less and the taxpayers would like that.
(11-08-2013, 10:14 AM)PonderThis Wrote: They might use it to get a job.

Then should we give "them" new clothes, a car, gas, computer and internet service?
When we had to shut our business down, due to the poor economy a couple years ago, we got NOTHING from the government. I guess I'm a little bitter. Sorry. Blink

BTW.....I accidently posted twice, but when I tried to delete it, I wasn't able to???
No, the forum software that would let that happen is intentionally disabled. That's because at least one notorious now banned poster had a habit of posting things and then deleting the posts later, to the point it annoyed everybody. I don't think Kam is setting himself up for that again.

p.s. You can still edit the post though, using the edit button. Just change the text to any two digits (the minimum it allows) or a picture.