Young drivers snapping 'selfies' at the wheel
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/tech/mobil...tml?c=tech

Quote:(CNN) - Drivers are endlessly creative when it comes to finding dumb things to do while behind the wheel: eating, texting, reading a map, applying makeup.

But technology has now inspired an alarming new trend: drivers taking self-portraits, or "selfies," with their smartphone cameras while in motion.

Idiotic? Maybe so, but these self-portrait artists aren't shy about sharing their photos. Instagram shows more than 3,727 posts under the #drivingselfie hashtag, more than 1,869 for the plural #drivingselfies, and more than 9,700 for #drivingtowork. Some users add the optimistic tag, #Ihopeidontcrash.

On Twitter, a search for "driving selfie" turns up hundreds of images.

Not all the photos or videos shot by drivers are of themselves. Some are of their passengers being goofy or of pretty scenery zipping past. All this photo-taking requires using at least one hand to open a camera app, frame the shot and press the shutter button.

Not surprisingly, highway safety advocates aren't thrilled.

"Taking a photo of yourself while you're driving a 2,000-pound vehicle down the road at 50 or 60 miles per hour? That is putting your life in danger and putting the lives of those around you in danger," said Jackie Gillan, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety.

The trend isn't limited to cars. There are also selfies of people piloting motorcycles, boats and even planes.
I remember when I was very young my mother (a very young mother herself), driving the family car, showing us how she could drive it with no hands.