Absolutely Ridiculous
He was in violation of the FPPA, 'Fat People Protection Act'.
He's lucky he doesn't have the Feds coming down on him.
(11-10-2013, 11:03 AM)gapper Wrote: If the boy had been taught proper behavior at home, this would not be a school issue, nor should it have to be.

Wow, did you raise any children? If so you need to write a book on how to raise the perfect child.
Kids are people. They ALL have different personalities. No matter what you think you taught them.

But I do see your point. You're right, the school is just trying to do the right thing and make sure the parents..... PARENT.
It did sound like overkill to me at first but the way you laid it out.. not so much.

Parents are informed
Parents must respond so the school knows they were informed.
A record of this infraction is kept.
The kids is told to say I'm sorry on paper.

This sounds to me like a school doing what they have to do to stop bullying before it starts or becomes a habit.
(11-10-2013, 11:26 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-10-2013, 11:03 AM)gapper Wrote: If the boy had been taught proper behavior at home, this would not be a school issue, nor should it have to be.

Wow, did you raise any children? If so you need to write a book on how to raise the perfect child.
I helped raise 4. Not a one of them is perfect, nor did I even hint that that was the case. My stepson from my first marriage was in trouble so much the principal at his middle school jokingly told me he was going to get me my own office, since I was up at the school so much. And guess what, when my son screwed up, I wasn't posting on an internet forum about how "Absolutely Ridiculous" a simple letter of reprimand to be signed and an apology to be written is. We worked with the school and my son rather than lash out at the school for expecting my kid to act with common decency.
Quote:
Kids are people. They ALL have different personalities. No matter what you think you taught them.
No argument there.
Quote:But I do see your point. You're right, the school is just trying to do the right thing and make sure the parents..... PARENT.
It did sound like overkill to me at first but the way you laid it out.. not so much.

Parents are informed

This sounds to me like a school doing what they have to do to stop bullying before it starts or becomes a habit.

That's all I'm saying as well. If they deal with this now, when he's young, it can go a long ways toward possibly preventing really big problems down the road. If they attempt to put the fault back on the school and make their actions the focus rather than the bad behavior of the little boy, they are setting themselves up for more struggles down the road, in my opinion.

I've also had a lot experience observing and in some cases dealing with other people's kids in public school. It was an interesting exercise to observe certain kids over a course of over 8 years as they progressed through the system. I am convinced that the basis for good behavior must be created at home and those kids whose parents refused to hold them accountable, usually went on to be bigger problems down the road. One kid in our area is now in prison, and we saw this coming from him when he as in 3d grade. He, unfortunately, didn't have much of a chance, as his parents were trouble makers here back when I was in school in the 60's and grew to be poor role models and parents.
(11-10-2013, 11:38 AM)gapper Wrote:

I helped raise 4. Not a one of them is perfect, nor did I even hint that that was the case. My stepson from my first marriage was in trouble so much the principal at his middle school jokingly told me he was going to get me my own office, since I was up at the school so much. And guess what, when my son screwed up, I wasn't posting on an internet forum about how "Absolutely Ridiculous" a simple letter of reprimand to be signed and an apology to be written is. We worked with the school and my son rather than lash out at the school for expecting my kid to act with common decency.
Quote:
No argument there.
Quote:But I do see your point. You're right, the school is just trying to do the right thing and make sure the parents..... PARENT.

Parents are informed

That's all I'm saying as well. If they deal with this now, when he's young, it can go a long ways toward possibly preventing really big problems down the road.

Agreed. And it sounds like your own experience raising children contradicts your comment that this child was not taught proper behavior.

You can teach them all the same but that doesn't mean they will all react the same.
I see your side and I see TM's side AND I see GCG's sideLaughingLaughingLaughing

I'm not sure if TM's GS had a habit of name calling or just called someone fat once. If he did it once I would think a time out in the corner would be enough.
Evidently that little pork belly didn't pay attention to MO"s "Lets Moo" program. The parents should be grateful that other kids are willing to step up and point out that the kid is FAT because maybe it will drive the porker to get it under control.
(11-10-2013, 11:50 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Quote:
No argument there.

Parents are informed

That's all I'm saying as well. If they deal with this now, when he's young, it can go a long ways toward possibly preventing really big problems down the road.

Agreed. And it sounds like your own experience raising children contradicts your comment that this child was not taught proper behavior.

You can teach them all the same but that doesn't mean they will all react the same.
I see your side and I see TM's side AND I see GCG's sideLaughingLaughingLaughing

I'm not sure if TM's GS had a habit of name calling or just called someone fat once. If he did it once I would think a time out in the corner would be enough.

From TM's post:

(11-09-2013, 04:53 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Scrapper, he has been warned a few times before this incident so he deserved to be censured. I don't disagree with that aspect of it, but the school went overboard trying to cover their posterior. I told my daughter not to write the apology note. When he learns how to write, then maybe, but until then, he has been counseled and hopefully it won't happen again. (What do we do if it does, though?!). Eek!
(11-10-2013, 11:54 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Quote:
No argument there.

Parents are informed

From TM's post:

(11-09-2013, 04:53 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Scrapper, he has been warned a few times before this incident so he deserved to be censured. I don't disagree with that aspect of it, but the school went overboard trying to cover their posterior. I told my daughter not to write the apology note. When he learns how to write, then maybe, but until then, he has been counseled and hopefully it won't happen again. (What do we do if it does, though?!). Eek!

OK thenSmiling
It is sort of amusing that TennisMom, an ex teacher and one who normally might be inclined to side with schools and their need for discipline, feels differently when it's her own grandson that's involved.

(Apologies to TennisMom).

Laughing

Quote:
No argument there.

Parents are informed

Not at all. As noted, I was his step father. He was 8 I believe when his mother and I got together. His first 8 years were years in a dysfunctional household. I'm not saying I am perfect or that he came out perfect, but he had had very little direction in his formative years and we all paid the price for that.

You in particular may find it interesting that he ended up dropping out of high school, got his GED, became an electrician and now in his early 30's holds a middle management job with Intel in Hillsboro, responsible for millions of dollars worth of equipment and keeping their systems working as they are meant to work. I am very proud of him and the adult he has become.
(11-10-2013, 12:02 PM)gapper Wrote:

Quote:
No argument there.

Parents are informed

Not at all. As noted, I was his step father. He was 8 I believe when his mother and I got together. His first 8 years were years in a dysfunctional household. I'm not saying I am perfect or that he came out perfect, but he had had very little direction in his formative years and we all paid the price for that.

You in particular may find it interesting that he ended up dropping out of high school, got his GED, became an electrician and now in his early 30's holds a middle management job with Intel in Hillsboro, responsible for millions of dollars worth of equipment and keeping their systems working as they are meant to work. I am very proud of him and the adult he has become.

Good for himSmiling
NSFW Content: show