Who are strong heroines?
"The Bride", or in the sequel revealed as Beatrix Kiddo
Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman. Laughing
Geena Davis in Cutthroat Island. She kicks ASS in that movie.
(11-13-2013, 08:00 AM)Larry Wrote: Geena Davis in Cutthroat Island. She kicks ASS in that movie.

Or...Gina Davis in Long Kiss Goodnight.
(11-13-2013, 07:57 AM)Larry Wrote: Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman. Laughing

Maybe for some. Not me, however. A lot of the suggestions, while good aren't really what I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of well written characters. Not just "strong" in a one dimensional sort of way, but characters who are strong, complex and well written. They can be anti heroes. Salander and O'Hara would be considered anti heroes, I think.
(11-13-2013, 09:20 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

Maybe for some. Not me, however. A lot of the suggestions, while good aren't really what I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of well written characters. Not just "strong" in a one dimensional sort of way, but characters who are strong, complex and well written. They can be anti heroes. Salander and O'Hara would be considered anti heroes, I think.

How about Cher in "Mask"?

"Rosanne"?
(11-13-2013, 09:45 AM)Larry Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 09:20 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

How about Cher in "Mask"?

"Rosanne"?

Meh. Cher's role is a feminine trope: The impassioned, mother fighting for her young.

Roseanne? No, another trope. An original one but not so much what I mean.
(11-12-2013, 11:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(11-12-2013, 11:22 PM)chuck white Wrote: What were you looking for in a roll model, from a Actor type heroine?

Just strong, well written characters. But not 1 dimensional types. Just admirable but realistic characters. It's only conversation. I'm not looking for anything. I just think that aren't a lot of really well written characters for women, that aren't based on their gender moving the role and when people resort to bad jokes when it's really just a conversational question, it just kind of proves (to me) that there are not a lot of them out there. I mean we have book and movie threads and they don't get hijacked that way. I don't have a problem with the first couple, but then it's really just a case of hijacking the thread. TV can call me a whiner, but then I'm gonna take my thread back and he can just bite it.
Or crybaby Razz hey I just thought you were complaining about nothing. And now IMO you still are. No one understands TiaWink all bad examples. Yada yada
... nothing is ever good enough....
(11-13-2013, 01:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-12-2013, 11:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(11-12-2013, 11:22 PM)chuck white Wrote: What were you looking for in a roll model, from a Actor type heroine?

Just strong, well written characters. But not 1 dimensional types. Just admirable but realistic characters. It's only conversation. I'm not looking for anything. I just think that aren't a lot of really well written characters for women, that aren't based on their gender moving the role and when people resort to bad jokes when it's really just a conversational question, it just kind of proves (to me) that there are not a lot of them out there. I mean we have book and movie threads and they don't get hijacked that way. I don't have a problem with the first couple, but then it's really just a case of hijacking the thread. TV can call me a whiner, but then I'm gonna take my thread back and he can just bite it.
Or crybaby Razz hey I just thought you were complaining about nothing. And now IMO you still are. No one understands TiaWink all bad examples. Yada yada

*Shrugs*. I have nothing to say TV. You're impossible to please. Which are the "bad" examples?
(11-13-2013, 01:09 PM)Larry Wrote: ... nothing is ever good enough....

Well??????? Is this my fault?
(11-13-2013, 08:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You're impossible to please.

LaughingLaughingLaughing Exactly. Pot, meet kettle.

EVERYONE tried to suggest an answer to your topic here. You accepted NONE.

Impossible to please? Please....
(11-13-2013, 08:42 PM)Larry Wrote:

Uhmmmm.....Larry? That's not true. I agreed with many, many, many. Should I list them?
(11-13-2013, 08:43 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Uhmmmm.....Larry? That's not true. I agreed with many, many, many. Should I list them?

But were you ever really satisfied? Or did you keep asking for more? Wink
(11-13-2013, 09:03 PM)Larry Wrote:

Oh. Do you mean I felt that the list should have been finite and at some point said: "Yep, that's it, that's about all there is." It was posted for discussion. You could have discussed with me about my opinions. GCG did.
Clarice Starling
(11-13-2013, 09:46 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: Clarice Starling

Yes.
(11-13-2013, 09:06 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Oh. Do you mean I felt that the list should have been finite and at some point said: "Yep, that's it, that's about all there is." It was posted for discussion. You could have discussed with me about my opinions. GCG did.

Did you immediately watch Cutthroat Island and discuss it with me? Nope.
(11-13-2013, 10:48 PM)Larry Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 09:06 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 08:42 PM)Larry Wrote: LaughingLaughingLaughing Exactly. Pot, meet kettle.

Did you immediately watch Cutthroat Island and discuss it with me? Nope.

Did I say watch anything? You've made no point. In fact I did check out your sitcom. The one I should have hated. I didn't really have any strong opinions about it, but I said so. And I gave it a shot. Made the effort. Agreed with you on some of your points. You just want to say I'm whining. Was there something in particular about Gina Davis's character that spoke to you? Was she a great, believable strong character you wanted to share about?
What I'm getting from you, Larry is some kind of finite idea of what I should have done that would have been more ....acceptable.