Do you use slang or do others use slang that is foreign to you?
One example for me is that my generation used to call marijuana: dope. We smoked dope, we bought dope, sold it, saw it on movies, grew it, whatever people did with marijuana at a certain point in time. Now, however, I've been strictly schooled by a younger crowd not to say "dope" in reference to Marijuana. Dope is now exclusive to Meth. Huh? Since when?
(11-13-2013, 11:57 PM)Tiamat Wrote: One example for me is that my generation used to call marijuana: dope. We smoked dope, we bought dope, sold it, saw it on movies, grew it, whatever people did with marijuana at a certain point in time. Now, however, I've been strictly schooled by a younger crowd not to say "dope" in reference to Marijuana. Dope is now exclusive to Meth. Huh? Since when?

MJ has gotten smarter over the years, now you say, 'Hey man, got any eggs?'

My hubby had never heard the term "4:20" before. And the other night I found out that he had no clue what "jones'in for something" meant... he had never heard that before. Awe... my sweet Conservative Republican Prince... he's adorable! Big Grin
(11-13-2013, 11:57 PM)Tiamat Wrote: One example for me is that my generation used to call marijuana: dope. We smoked dope, we bought dope, sold it, saw it on movies, grew it, whatever people did with marijuana at a certain point in time. Now, however, I've been strictly schooled by a younger crowd not to say "dope" in reference to Marijuana. Dope is now exclusive to Meth. Huh? Since when?

Since they said so I guess. I think it comes from people wanting to believe MJ is totally harmless and shouldn't be confused with harder drugs.

A rose is still a rose by.... It's still dopeRazz

I have heard "dope" used as slang for heroin but never for meth.
Here's one that I don't understand:

When I was young when you "asked someone out" that meant that you asked them to go somewhere with you... like the movies or dinner or something. Now when you "ask someone out" it simply means that you are asking them to be your boyfriend or girlfriend.

Here is a conversation that I had with one of my daughters a few years ago:

Daughter: Seth asked me out today!

Me: Cool. Where are you going?

Her: What?

Me: You said he asked you out... out to where?

Her: Nowhere. We are just going out.

Me: Like outside?

Her: No.

Me: Well where then?

Her: NOWHERE! We are just going out... him and me... that's it.

Me: Uhhhh.... allrighty then
What is axe slang for? "Can I axe you a question?" WTF are they asking?
(11-15-2013, 10:30 AM)Scar Wrote: What is axe slang for? "Can I axe you a question?" WTF are they asking?

I thought axe was slang for guitar.
Cleanup attempt #2 on this thread has been completed. Please note that this thread is in "The Lounge" session - NO argument, debate, political discussion, and personal attacks are allowed in this section of the site.
Pfftt.
(11-15-2013, 01:11 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Pfftt.

That is most likely a version of Pfft - 1.An expression of a lack of interest in another persons comment 2.Used to look down upon another.
(11-15-2013, 02:05 PM)Scar Wrote:
(11-15-2013, 01:11 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Pfftt.

That is most likely a version of Pfft - 1.An expression of a lack of interest in another persons comment 2.Used to look down upon another.

Bingo!

bin·go
—used to announce that you have won the game in bingo
—used to announce a successful result that is quick or unexpected
—used to indicate that another person's statement is correct
(11-14-2013, 10:01 AM)Scrapper Wrote: My hubby had never heard the term "4:20" before. And the other night I found out that he had no clue what "jones'in for something" meant... he had never heard that before. Awe... my sweet Conservative Republican Prince... he's adorable! Big Grin

I never knew what 4:30 meant until I moved to Medford and had to have the Magic Man commercials explained to me.

And I learned about jonesin here not to many years ago.

And that is just fine by me.
(11-15-2013, 05:46 PM)Snowlover Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 10:01 AM)Scrapper Wrote: My hubby had never heard the term "4:20" before. And the other night I found out that he had no clue what "jones'in for something" meant... he had never heard that before. Awe... my sweet Conservative Republican Prince... he's adorable! Big Grin

I never knew what 4:30 meant until I moved to Medford and had to have the Magic Man commercials explained to me.

4:20 dates back to the 70's, I heard about it when I was in High School.
I lived one county up from Marin county where it originated. (I believe it was Sir Francis Drake High School that started it). I forgot completely about it until my son told me about it in the 90's
(11-15-2013, 06:14 PM)chuck white Wrote:

4:20 dates back to the 70's, I heard about it when I was in High School.
I lived one county up from Marin county where it originated. (I believe it was Sir Francis Drake High School that started it). I forgot completely about it until my son told me about it in the 90's

I learned about 4:20 in high school in San Diego. I think I first heard "Jones'in" after moving to GP in late '77.

I've never been one to actually enjoy partaking in the illegal stuff... but my ex let it rule his life... and from what I hear, still does. Rolling Eyes

WTH is 4:30?
That's when you light the 2nd one.

(Or is that 3rd. I forget.)
(11-15-2013, 07:02 PM)PonderThis Wrote: That's when you light the 2nd one.

(Or is that 3rd. I forget.)

Laughing

I looked on UD but it was rather convoluted. Embarrassed

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=4%3A30

-"hey rob what time is it"
-"oh, it's 4:30"
-"man! its milkshake time!"
(11-15-2013, 07:01 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

WTH is 4:30?

LaughingLaughingLaughing Oops!
LOL