LED's For Home Use
360 of those and you could power a lightbulb. Smiling (I figured 333 but what's an extra 27 bulbs.)
(11-22-2013, 07:27 PM)oregon 67 Wrote:
(11-22-2013, 01:58 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(11-22-2013, 11:39 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-21-2013, 09:05 PM)oregon 67 Wrote: Costco has some led recessed light LED replacements. I am fairly impressed with the light output of them. They are way less expensive than the Sylvania or Lithonia comparable items.

I don't know about the length of service though.

25000 hoursTwitch If I did my math right that means you can have your recessed lights on 4 hours a day for 17 yearsLaughing

They are 25 bucks each and they are dimmable. Most who have recessed lighting want dimmers.
I always thought it was odd that right in the middle of a wave of conservation and energy saving devices .That suddenly all the builders decided recessed cans were all the rage.
I've wired houses with as many as 70 of them. I remember reading that a recessed light only puts out 1/3 of the light of a surface fixture.
Whatever, it's gotta look good , that what's importantSad

here's a link to the Costco LED lights...

http://www.costco.com/led-light-bulbs.html

I was shocked, until I noticed they were a 4 pack.

I had a customer want 6 in a smaller kitchen. We dimmed them .

As with most LED lamps, they are dimmable , The problem with dimming on a marginal load( less than 40 watts) is a strobing affect at the lower than 50% dimming range. Be sure to get an LED compatible dimmer.

And add that to the costs. So at 25 bucks each for dimmable LEDs and an LED compatible dimmer which is no doubt expensive what year will it be when you break even? Will we be alive?
(11-22-2013, 08:39 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(11-22-2013, 08:29 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I never heard of such a thing as a leaky light switch. You don't think it's back feeding from something else?

5 watt LED draws about 41 ma,
If a switch had a 1 Meg ohms of leakage. You could get a 0.12 ma which is about 0.3% brightness.
In the dark it's a faint glow.

Leakage to where? I assume you mean the contacts in the switch are not completely open? I wonder if an EMF that these LEDs are getting a faint glow from.

If you pull a wire off of the switch does this faint glow go away?
I wondered about a shot of tuner cleaner in the switch too, I'm sure Chuck has a can of that lying around. Laughing Maybe there's a bit of dust on the contacts getting damp or something.
(11-23-2013, 01:16 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I wondered about a shot of tuner cleaner in the switch too, I'm sure Chuck has a can of that lying around. Laughing Maybe there's a bit of dust on the contacts getting damp or something.

Maybe .Contact cleaner might be hard to get in to the contacts. Single pole toggle switches are very cheap, just try a new one Chuck.

I know I've used 120 volt household switches for 12 volt applications and they don't always work so great with such a lower voltage and often a higher amperage.
The bathroom switch was the one I noticed would do that. I think moisture caused the contacts to leak, or it might have been old cloth wiring.

I didn't worry about it, kind of a nice feature.
I bit the bullet today and purchased my first LED bulb as a replacement for a 60watt incandescent light in our living room. It was a Costco purchase, a single bulb on sale for $7.99, and with a little extra Christmas cash burning a whole in my pocket, i figured what the heck, it is made by FEIT electric and is being sold as comparable to a 60 watt incandescent. (60 watt replacement using only 13.5 watts of power, 850 lumens, omni directional, instant on, life based on 3 hours per day 22.8 years) I must say I am very surprised by it, it is far superior to a CFL (which I HATE, but that's a whole other story) For all intensive purposes I do not see a difference in spectrum of light and brightness compared to the incandescent it replaced. As I find deals on them and as the price drops I will definitely be buying more of these. I hope they last as long as advertised.
(12-27-2013, 08:50 PM)GPnative Wrote: I bit the bullet today and purchased my first LED bulb as a replacement for a 60watt incandescent light in our living room. It was a Costco purchase, a single bulb on sale for $7.99, and with a little extra Christmas cash burning a whole in my pocket, i figured what the heck, it is made by FEIT electric and is being sold as comparable to a 60 watt incandescent. (60 watt replacement using only 13.5 watts of power, 850 lumens, omni directional, instant on, life based on 3 hours per day 22.8 years) I must say I am very surprised by it, it is far superior to a CFL (which I HATE, but that's a whole other story) For all intensive purposes I do not see a difference in spectrum of light and brightness compared to the incandescent it replaced. As I find deals on them and as the price drops I will definitely be buying more of these. I hope they last as long as advertised.

I'm surprise that you don't see a whiter light. The incandescent seem yellow in comparison. Did it say what the spectrum was? It would be a value 2500 to 6000.
It has to do where in the white you are.
[Image: led-color-temperature.jpg]
(12-27-2013, 09:03 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(12-27-2013, 08:50 PM)GPnative Wrote: I bit the bullet today and purchased my first LED bulb as a replacement for a 60watt incandescent light in our living room. It was a Costco purchase, a single bulb on sale for $7.99, and with a little extra Christmas cash burning a whole in my pocket, i figured what the heck, it is made by FEIT electric and is being sold as comparable to a 60 watt incandescent. (60 watt replacement using only 13.5 watts of power, 850 lumens, omni directional, instant on, life based on 3 hours per day 22.8 years) I must say I am very surprised by it, it is far superior to a CFL (which I HATE, but that's a whole other story) For all intensive purposes I do not see a difference in spectrum of light and brightness compared to the incandescent it replaced. As I find deals on them and as the price drops I will definitely be buying more of these. I hope they last as long as advertised.

I'm surprise that you don't see a whiter light. The incandescent seem yellow in comparison. Did it say what the spectrum was? It would be a value 2500 to 6000.
It has to do where in the white you are.
[Image: led-color-temperature.jpg]

I just checked the package, it is 3000 K

I was really surprised by how well it resembled an incandescent, I have a flood light type LED bulb that I won in a contest, I use it outside and by comparison the light it emits is very white.
I like the 4500K better. I have some cool whites and they have a bluish tint. It makes it hard sometimes to see the true color of objects.
(12-27-2013, 09:19 PM)chuck white Wrote: I like the 4500K better. I have some cool whites and they have a bluish tint. It makes it hard sometimes to see the true color of objects.

Based on that handy dandy graphic, I think 4500 would probably be the max for where I'd want to be, I prefer the "warmer" side of the spectrum to the intense white/blues
I received a gift cert to Fields for Christmas so I used it to buy 2 more LED bulbs, they have 60w equivalent on sale for $9.99, pretty much same specs as the one I bought from Costco, even the same manufacturer. 3 of our most used lamps are now LED and again so far I am really impressed by them. I will post a full review in 22 years following the general life expectancy of the bulb. Big Grin
I was at the local Dollar Store buying gift bags yesterday and noticed that they have a huge selection of old fashioned light bulbs... a buck a piece!
(01-03-2014, 09:02 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I was at the local Dollar Store buying gift bags yesterday and noticed that they have a huge selection of old fashioned light bulbs... a buck a piece!

That's a good buy, I just bought some at Bimart to add to my stock pile, they have them on sale for $1.50/pack
(01-03-2014, 09:04 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 09:02 AM)Scrapper Wrote: I was at the local Dollar Store buying gift bags yesterday and noticed that they have a huge selection of old fashioned light bulbs... a buck a piece!

That's a good buy, I just bought some at Bimart to add to my stock pile, they have them on sale for $1.50/pack

Just curious ,why do you two even want incandescent bulbs? I think they are still useful somewhere like in a shed where you rarely ever turn it on and then it's only for a very short period.

By the way the dollar tree has a 3 pack of 60 watt bulbs for a buck.
(01-03-2014, 10:36 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Just curious ,why do you two even want incandescent bulbs? I think they are still useful somewhere like in a shed where you rarely ever turn it on and then it's only for a very short period.

I didn't say that I wanted them... I didn't buy any... I just mentioned that I saw them.

They are the "slow to change anything" type and are referred to as "Stockpilers in this article. Big Grin

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/stockpil...2D11843874
(01-03-2014, 10:41 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

They are the "slow to change anything" type and are referred to as "Stockpilers in this article. Big Grin

Ahhh , the set in there ways crowd. Couldn't live like that. Anyway have you noticed it's getting hard to find bias ply tires and eight track tapes?Razz

I have to admit, a LOT of the CFL's I've bought lasted about 3 months or less rather than three hundred years like they claim.They either burned out, they're dim, or slow to become bright.

Because I like them and CFL's suck beyond all suckdom. I will happily pay the power difference between an incandescent and a CFL. But, that's why I am happy so far with these LED's, I think they truly are an acceptable replacement for an incandescent with the lower energy benefit, I hope their cost comes down as more consumers jump on board.
(01-03-2014, 10:55 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 10:41 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

Ahhh , the set in there ways crowd. Couldn't live like that. Anyway have you noticed it's getting hard to find bias ply tires and eight track tapes?Razz

I have to admit, a LOT of the CFL's I've bought lasted about 3 months or less rather than three hundred years like they claim.They either burned out, they're dim, or slow to become bright.

Nothing to do with being set in ways, if a product sucks it sucks and I wont buy it. CFLs suck. I think somewhere in this forum, maybe even this thread, I posted my experience with CFLs, in a nutshell they damn near burned my house down....twice. They are now banned from the house, I'd rather use a candle.