Seligman House Fire
(11-30-2013, 06:17 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm sure you've donated heavily then, since this is obviously a cause near and dear to you.

Be careful....you are assuming again. Never made a claim just informational posting plus I'm not in the area
Well, if you're not willing to donate, don't bitch to us about it. Most of us here consider Mark to be an asshole.

That's what happens to people that are continually unpleasant to others. It doesn't go well for them when they need help from others for a change. That is a basic tenet of human nature.
(11-30-2013, 11:01 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, if you're not willing to donate, don't bitch to us about it. Most of us here consider Mark to be an asshole.

That's what happens to people that are continually unpleasant to others. It doesn't go well for them when they need help from others for a change. That is a basic tenet of human nature.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
And I'm not donating when some disaster befalls your life, either.
I donated a can of lighter fluid and a box of matches
(11-30-2013, 01:28 PM)chuck white Wrote: I donated a can of lighter fluid and a box of matches

How touching. And that's why you're a better man than me. Smiling
(11-30-2013, 01:30 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(11-30-2013, 01:28 PM)chuck white Wrote: I donated a can of lighter fluid and a box of matches

How touching. And that's why you're a better man than me. Smiling

Who isn't?
Like anyone would know if you did or didn't donate, take your word for it?

That's classic....of course. I never made any claims that I would like some....or did I bestow ill tidings upon him, either.
He should have homeowners insurance that will cover his house, belongings and his girlfriend's medical bills, I hope.
I had somebody else get injured on my property once, and insurance capped them off at something like $3,500 in medical expenses. I wonder if they have to sue you to get more. (A 20 year old story now, the numbers might be different.)
My mother slipped and fell at our house on Christmas Eve in 1990. Our (supposedly) good home owners insurance through Allstate capped her off at $1000. Dry She had to have emergency surgery to have her ankle put back together with a rod and 3 pins... a week in the hospital... and then a year later another surgery to get them removed. Considering we had our home, 2 autos, 2 motorcycles and a boat insured with them... it was pure B.S. Thumbs Down We dumped Allstate. Since then... we've had wonderful service from State Farm. Thumbs Up
I had State Farm cancel me after a $16,000 loss where pipes had broken while I was gone (they said because I was running a business out of my home, that they wouldn't insure because they said they didn't have a category for). I've also had them put used body parts on a car that was only 3 or 4 years old at the time.

I've only got liability insurance on my truck anymore, because I don't want a wreck that's been fixed anyway and if I have to suck up to the loss I just will, and I'm thinking about dropping my house insurance too. Some of these things almost never happen, and I'm a gambling man when it comes to things like that too. I'd probably just get some catchall liability coverage if that happened, I can't remember what they call that.

(Thinking about it, I've already got 2 houses uninsured anyway, so I guess I'm well on my way.)
(11-30-2013, 09:25 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I had State Farm cancel me after a $16,000 loss where pipes had broken while I was gone (they said because I was running a business out of my home, that they wouldn't insure because they said they didn't have a category for). I've also had them put used body parts on a car that was only 3 or 4 years old at the time.

I've only got liability insurance on my truck anymore, because I don't want a wreck that's been fixed anyway and if I have to suck up to the loss I just will, and I'm thinking about dropping my house insurance too. Some of these things almost never happen, and I'm a gambling man when it comes to things like that too. I'd probably just get some catchall liability coverage if that happened, I can't remember what they call that.

(Thinking about it, I've already got 2 houses uninsured anyway, so I guess I'm well on my way.)

Sometimes you can get a multiple policy discount.
They don't seem to like insuring these very rural properties that are out in the national forest. Maybe because of the forest fire danger and maybe because they know no fire department could ever arrive in time to save anything but the surrounding forest maybe. They definitely don't seem to want to insure the off-grid one either, and I never asked them about the one built of straw and mud, I just wasn't sure they would understand. Laughing
(11-30-2013, 10:52 PM)PonderThis Wrote: They don't seem to like insuring these very rural properties that are out in the national forest. Maybe because of the forest fire danger and maybe because they know no fire department could ever arrive in time to save anything but the surrounding forest maybe. They definitely don't seem to want to insure the off-grid one either, and I never asked them about the one built of straw and mud, I just wasn't sure they would understand. Laughing

Maybe you could insure the content and not the structure.
I don't have that much value in content, so why bother? I'm really only worried if somebody sues me for something, I'm pretty much willing to take on all the other risk myself.
I noticed my insurance company keeps increasing the value of my content then charges me more.
I need to call them on that.
They've been doing that to me, too. I think it's a scam. I'm pretty sure I tried to get them to lower it one time and they told me they wouldn't, that the insurance company figured contents as a certain percentage of value and wouldn't deviate from that. There's really only one insurance company I've found that will insurance this house (I think Grange insurance), the others all think I live too far away from the volunteer fire department apparently.
(12-01-2013, 12:07 AM)PonderThis Wrote: They've been doing that to me, too. I think it's a scam. I'm pretty sure I tried to get them to lower it one time and they told me they wouldn't, that the insurance company figured contents as a certain percentage of value and wouldn't deviate from that.
So will they pay that amount if I burn to the ground, or do I have to itemize?
Ha ha, you have to itemize. Each and every item. If you plan on a disaster like that happening, better take some videos now while the gettin's good.

I always laughed at illcommandante saying, when he lived close to the river, to buy all the collector records you could, paying no attention whatsoever for the scratches, etc., and then pray for rain, they were worth gold in the insurance settlement. Smiling