Brrr 14 degrees next wednesday
If you have any pipes that aren't well insulated you better get busyWink

OR.. leave your water trickling. Mom to used to leave the cabinet doors under the sink in the old house where where I grew up in Ohio.

Maybe no one who reads this needs to do anything but I know that sometimes I pay no attention to the news, weather or my wifeRazz
And if you go to Grover's Or Lowe's next Thursday you'll see a crowd of people who had something freeze. Who didn't pay attention eitherRazz

And No Wonky before you ask again, you don't have to insulate your gas meter or phone lines.

[Image: 2gtvxgk.jpg]
I just saw on the TV weather that they are now calling for 20 degrees next Thursday. I think that will be IF there is some cloud cover. I assume there will be because they say we might get an inch of snow next Wednesday.

Ya just never know when they TRY and forecast very far ahead.Smiling
(11-29-2013, 07:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: I just saw on the TV weather that they are now calling for 20 degrees next Thursday. I think that will be IF there is some cloud cover. I assume there will be because they say we might get an inch of snow next Wednesday.

Yea, it seems like the further out they try and forecast the more likely it is to change. Although, Dan Pope on KDRV was one of the most accurate forecasters I've ever seen in this area......but for some reason KDRV gave him the boot. Personally I think they opted for eye candy over accuracy.
(11-29-2013, 07:30 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(11-29-2013, 07:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: I just saw on the TV weather that they are now calling for 20 degrees next Thursday. I think that will be IF there is some cloud cover. I assume there will be because they say we might get an inch of snow next Wednesday.

Yea, it seems like the further out they try and forecast the more likely it is to change. Although, Dan Pope on KDRV was one of the most accurate forecasters I've ever seen in this area......but for some reason KDRV gave him the boot. Personally I think they opted for eye candy over accuracy.

Maybe but I doubt it because sometimes I'm surprised that they hire some people who are closer to being homely than eye candyRazz
(11-29-2013, 07:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-29-2013, 07:30 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Maybe but I doubt it because sometimes I'm surprised that they hire some people who are closer to being homely than eye candyRazz

True enough. I just get annoyed with "meteorologist's" who seem all they are doing is reading a forecast directly from NOAA, vs. someone like Pope who actually study trends, etc and come up with an accurate forecast.

As you can see I am a little peeved about them firing Pope Laughing
Various weather models are all over the board. All agree on temps below 30 but there is a wide variation.
The national weather service still shows me at 14 that night. And generally, my place is colder than they say for nighttime lows.
(11-29-2013, 07:47 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Various weather models are all over the board. All agree on temps below 30 but there is a wide variation.

True enough. And that does sort of say that human beings are doing a little bit of thinking to come up with what they believe is most likely.

So at least all meteorologist's don't just read a forecast directly from NOAA like GP mentioned.
It looks to me like severe cold is extremely likely but will only happen with clear night skies.
I think I have our house pipes pretty well protected, but it's our first winter in this house so hopefully I do not find a weak link the hard way. Unsure
(11-29-2013, 08:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: I think I have our house pipes pretty well protected, but it's our first winter in this house so hopefully I do not find a weak link the hard way. Unsure

I remember back about 30 years ago we had about a week of temps that were right around 10 degrees. That spell froze some pipes that people said had never frozen in years.
We could get that weather again, who knows.
About 40 years ago I remember Medford getting to -6. I was working on mobile homes at the time and a lot of buried pipes froze. Back then most water lines were galvanized pipe, and my boss talked about having thawed peoples pipes out with an arc welder and enough cable to run to each end of the pipe, and set the welder on a low amperage (in Utah where he had come from). He also said rental yards were on to the trick, and wouldn't rent their welders out if they thought that's what you were going to do with it. Funny the things you remember.
Better light the fire.

(11-29-2013, 09:23 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Better light the fire.

Sad
(11-29-2013, 09:30 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Sad

I don't have one either.
People forget about well houses. That's where most see freezing water issues.

Of course, I feel for those that still have outdoor plumbing. Man, those outhouses do get cold.
[Image: Capture_zps63344758.png]

I put that on the big screen and it feels a lot warmer in the living room.
Did you set a little heater behind the TV too? Big Grin

Maybe Seligman should have used this instead /\
|
Brrr! I'm still seeing a prediction of 16 on Thursday nite. That's with a "partly cloudy" forecast.
I will keep the water dripping!! That should keep the pump house from freezing, too. I just got back from the Coast!! Beautiful weather.
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.