Puppi and Burma the adventure cat.
(12-18-2013, 09:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote: Tia Is homelessness becoming a taboo or too controversial a topic in todays world?

Not for me. I think the TERM homeless has become a one size fits all word for the mentally ill, drunks or drug users and people who just fell on hard times.

Right, but it seems to create polarized reactions sometimes. Like Food Stamps.

Homelessness didn't used to be the way it is now.
(12-18-2013, 09:08 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
Quote: Tia Is homelessness becoming a taboo or too controversial a topic in todays world?

Not for me. I think the TERM homeless has become a one size fits all word for the mentally ill, drunks or drug users and people who just fell on hard times.

Really? Because the homeless used to be called bums. And that's exactly what a great many of them are.
But since some of them are decent hard working people who simply lost everything they own then it's just not PC OR morally right to look down on ANY of them.
(12-18-2013, 09:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 09:08 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Really? Because the homeless used to be called bums. And that's exactly what a great many of them are.
But since some of them are decent hard working people who simply lost everything they own then it's just not PC OR morally right to look down on ANY of them.

Well, I think it was different though. "Bums" would approach homes and ask for a meal for work. And do it. Not so now. My mother said they were sure there was a mark on their house. That signified to other bums that this was a place they could go for a meal.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0_SokFsnGlchyPY7nC0-...I9wwFr45KO]

I've heard of that before too. But it's riskier now. I'd love to 'employ' someone who has a "work for food" sign, but I don't feel it's a safe thing to do.
(12-18-2013, 08:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 08:45 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 08:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm going to hijack my own thread and go off topic here. Based on the above 3 posts. It occurs to me that the term "homelessness" has become such a hot button topic. You can't even say it without polarizing the issue. Or seeming to. For instance: in the above post I even said that I couldn't understand why the guy didn't know his own bank balance. I said maybe homelessness was an issue. But I wasn't saying it was the reason. Or that it was a bad thing, or poor guy, he's homeless or anything. But it went there fast. It's interesting that homelessness as an idea has become so touchy and polarizing. (TV, I'm making discussion not arguing with youLaughing) Is homelessness becoming a taboo or too controversial a topic in todays world?

Home is where the heart is.

Forgive me, VS, but that isn't really the question.Smiling

No, forgive me. The subject is not taboo, but around here EVERYTHING is controversial.
(12-18-2013, 09:34 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 08:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 08:45 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 08:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm going to hijack my own thread and go off topic here. Based on the above 3 posts. It occurs to me that the term "homelessness" has become such a hot button topic. You can't even say it without polarizing the issue. Or seeming to. For instance: in the above post I even said that I couldn't understand why the guy didn't know his own bank balance. I said maybe homelessness was an issue. But I wasn't saying it was the reason. Or that it was a bad thing, or poor guy, he's homeless or anything. But it went there fast. It's interesting that homelessness as an idea has become so touchy and polarizing. (TV, I'm making discussion not arguing with youLaughing) Is homelessness becoming a taboo or too controversial a topic in todays world?

Home is where the heart is.

Forgive me, VS, but that isn't really the question.Smiling

No, forgive me. The subject is not taboo, but around here EVERYTHING is controversial.

Well, that's true.Laughing Has Cohort stuck around?
Hi I googled my cat Burma looking for something and this came up, I'm Stephen the veteran in t b e story so I wanted to say hi and ty for mentioning our story, and I felt compelled to answer some of the unknowns mentioned in some of the responses.
Burma follows along when we go out in the mountains and I carry him sometimes in his backpack and he runs and plays when we're up on top of a mountain or out somewhere and I just take a lot of pics of the landscape Puppi and Burma and they're all easy subjects. So Burma is just doing whatever he wants in the pics and I just get it on camera. He's calm and fearless wherever we are because ever since I got him when he was 8 weeks old last spring he's lived this lifestyle on the go and he wakes up in another place most days and his comfort zone is wherever we are. He's a unique cat for certain. Puppi is a dept of veterans affairs service dog. Most everyone likes Puppi.

I first enlisted in '86 but that was just 1 enlistment. I re enlisted after sep 11 to serve when they started needing people for the Iraq war and served 3 more years. Overall I have 9 1/2 years service so I don't draw military retirement. I do have 40% disability for things such as hearing loss and not being able to sleep. That's roughly 500$s a month to live on and I will say I'm thankful to have that.
I do choose to life in my jeep but its the best of 2 options. The other is hud vouchers for apartments and I couldnt have Burma but that's ok our jeep is a comfort zone and it takes time to change that. I'm using what I have, this lifestyle, for the books, stories for opportunities to move forward. Simply using what's there.
I'm personally not a fan of the term homeless considering my situation although basically it applies.
As for the mistake about my balance it basically goes with not managing $s very well and any number of other ways getting by or functioning normally with ptsd or depression is difficult. Sometimes we're our own worst enemies.
As for the prints I sale or pity I never exept or will hear of pity for me being a veteran.
However there is such a thing as emphasizing with anothers' situation and wanting to help. Likewise I help others any time I can not out of pity but because someone needs it and I can. Veterans didnt serve the country out of pity but because they wanted to. Thats the type of help I identify with and so if friends I know locally want to help at times, like me recently wanting to go back to Virginia for Christmas, I'm thankful and offering something of myself regardless of it's value in return, it s my way of giving something back for helping me. It's not about a print or anything else it's about the thanks represented.
We didn't make it back for Christmas anyhow but that's ok it is what it is and now we're ready to try again. We'll be back in spring this is our home here in Grants Pass and southern Oregon. We enjoy sharing and thank you to anyone and everyone who enjoys our pics or stories! Be well friends! Stephen Puppi and Burma
It's nice to hear from you, and welcome to the forum.
Hey... thanks for taking the time to check in with us and post! Awfully nice of you!
I guess he heads south for the winter months?
I knew a Native American who always slept outside or in his van until the day he died (of bone marrow cancer, which was undiagnosed and untreated, so it might have been a grim existence). In his case, he'd spent enough time behind bars he wasn't ever going to voluntarily sleep in a building again.
we don't go south for winter but that's where I'm from and I haven't seen loved ones in over a year and I'd like too
ty PonderThis and Scrapper
(01-02-2014, 08:28 PM)PuppiandBurma Wrote: ty PonderThis and Scrapper

PuppiandBurma,

Welcome and please hang out long enough for Tiamat (the one who started this thread about you and your "friends") to chime in. Big Grin
(01-02-2014, 06:35 PM)PuppiandBurma Wrote: Hi I googled my cat Burma looking for something and this came up, I'm Stephen the veteran in t b e story so I wanted to say hi and ty for mentioning our story, and I felt compelled to answer some of the unknowns mentioned in some of the responses.
Burma follows along when we go out in the mountains and I carry him sometimes in his backpack and he runs and plays when we're up on top of a mountain or out somewhere and I just take a lot of pics of the landscape Puppi and Burma and they're all easy subjects. So Burma is just doing whatever he wants in the pics and I just get it on camera. He's calm and fearless wherever we are because ever since I got him when he was 8 weeks old last spring he's lived this lifestyle on the go and he wakes up in another place most days and his comfort zone is wherever we are. He's a unique cat for certain. Puppi is a dept of veterans affairs service dog. Most everyone likes Puppi.

I first enlisted in '86 but that was just 1 enlistment. I re enlisted after sep 11 to serve when they started needing people for the Iraq war and served 3 more years. Overall I have 9 1/2 years service so I don't draw military retirement. I do have 40% disability for things such as hearing loss and not being able to sleep. That's roughly 500$s a month to live on and I will say I'm thankful to have that.
I do choose to life in my jeep but its the best of 2 options. The other is hud vouchers for apartments and I couldnt have Burma but that's ok our jeep is a comfort zone and it takes time to change that. I'm using what I have, this lifestyle, for the books, stories for opportunities to move forward. Simply using what's there.
I'm personally not a fan of the term homeless considering my situation although basically it applies.
As for the mistake about my balance it basically goes with not managing $s very well and any number of other ways getting by or functioning normally with ptsd or depression is difficult. Sometimes we're our own worst enemies.
As for the prints I sale or pity I never exept or will hear of pity for me being a veteran.
However there is such a thing as emphasizing with anothers' situation and wanting to help. Likewise I help others any time I can not out of pity but because someone needs it and I can. Veterans didnt serve the country out of pity but because they wanted to. Thats the type of help I identify with and so if friends I know locally want to help at times, like me recently wanting to go back to Virginia for Christmas, I'm thankful and offering something of myself regardless of it's value in return, it s my way of giving something back for helping me. It's not about a print or anything else it's about the thanks represented.
We didn't make it back for Christmas anyhow but that's ok it is what it is and now we're ready to try again. We'll be back in spring this is our home here in Grants Pass and southern Oregon. We enjoy sharing and thank you to anyone and everyone who enjoys our pics or stories! Be well friends! Stephen Puppi and Burma

Hey! Glad to see you on here. I was happy to meet you (sorta) when I did. (sorry I couldn't stop and talk) but I was so impressed I did google you and then started this thread. And now you stop by for a visit. Way cool.
I appreciate the comments! Cool forums and ty for sharing the story Tia we enjoyed seeing you all at the store! And that is the smith river.
we have an instagram that has Burma pics and some Puppi and lots of regional landscapes from Mt Thielsen the Kalmiopsis to the coast Mt Shasta Trinity Alps and Grants Pass Table Rock and on.
its burmaadventurecat instagram
(01-02-2014, 10:48 PM)PuppiandBurma Wrote: we have an instagram that has Burma pics and some Puppi and lots of regional landscapes from Mt Thielsen the Kalmiopsis to the coast Mt Shasta Trinity Alps and Grants Pass Table Rock and on.
its burmaadventurecat instagram

You can post links if you want.....

http://instagram.com/burmaadventurecat
Cool friends to have.
(01-02-2014, 06:35 PM)PuppiandBurma Wrote: Hi I googled my cat Burma looking for something and this came up, I'm Stephen the veteran in t b e story so I wanted to say hi and ty for mentioning our story, and I felt compelled to answer some of the unknowns mentioned in some of the responses.

Hi Stephen. You sound like a great guy with an awesome attitude. Also thank you for your military service. You did more than your share , it seems to me you should get be getting more than $500 but it sounds like you are making the most of it. Good luck and check in here once in a while.Smiling