IH-5 political signs in Washington State
Don't know if this has been posted before, sorry if it's a repeat.

http://peregrine5700.wordpress.com/2010/...f-seattle/

Quote:You want to see something better than Burma Shave? These are Northbound on I-5 (88 miles south of Seattle )...

The federal government is now petitioning to have these signs removed or Washington state will be denied additional monies for interstate highways.

The State of Washington replied, they will secede from the Union rather than be intimidated. These are a matter of free speech paid for by a private citizen.

It seems the Obama government uses intimidation and ignores the first amendment when they want to silence someone.

These signs are priceless.

Bravo for the state of Washington Northbound on I-5 near Chehalis, WA (88 miles S. of Seattle ).
Better than Burma Shave seems like quite a stretch.
(12-06-2013, 07:29 AM)Prospector Wrote: Don't know if this has been posted before, sorry if it's a repeat.

Quote:You want to see something better than Burma Shave? These are Northbound on I-5 (88 miles south of Seattle )...

The federal government is now petitioning to have these signs removed or Washington state will be denied additional monies for interstate highways.

The State of Washington replied, they will secede from the Union rather than be intimidated. These are a matter of free speech paid for by a private citizen.

It seems the Obama government uses intimidation and ignores the first amendment when they want to silence someone.

Bravo for the state of Washington Northbound on I-5 near Chehalis, WA (88 miles S. of Seattle ).

Yes, Bravo!
And I doubt you even know what Burma Shave is. Smiling
(12-06-2013, 07:47 AM)PonderThis Wrote: And I doubt you even know what Burma Shave is. Smiling

Yes, but the reference wasn't about the shave or product but the old style of sign advertising. I remember that as a kid.
I used to keep a set of reproduction Burma Shave signs that I made and installed on the dead end road I used to live on, and changed the sayings on periodically too. Maybe that's why the reference caught my eye. Smiling

(And, in my opinion it wasn't just an old fashioned type of advertising, but rather one Burma Shave developed and excelled at, to a degree no one else even came close to approaching.)
(12-06-2013, 07:29 AM)Prospector Wrote: Don't know if this has been posted before, sorry if it's a repeat.

You seem to have left out a couple of key pieces of information.

1: Your quote is written not by the author of the blog article, but by a random internet commenter.

2: The quoted comment actually begins with the phrase... "I heard the following".

3: At least one other commenter disputes that these signs exist along that stretch of highway, and points out that it looks like one sign with a changeable message board.

Quote:Margie Miller on April 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm

These are definitely fake. I have been driving north through Chehalis to Olympia and back home every day for 7 years and I am certain these signs never existed along Interstate 5. Also, one picture shows mountains in the lower right corner. There are no visible mountains from Chehalis. It does look like an eraser board superimposed over different photos taken during different seasons (and not Chehalis).
[Image: bth_girliepopcorn.gif]

Seriously... seems like it is going to be a great day for spankings! Laughing Thumbs Up Laughing
(12-06-2013, 09:51 AM)csrowan Wrote:

1: Your quote is written not by the author of the blog article, but by a random internet commenter.

2: The quoted comment actually begins with the phrase... "I heard the following".

3: At least one other commenter disputes that these signs exist along that stretch of highway, and points out that it looks like one sign with a changeable message board.

These are definitely fake. I have been driving north through Chehalis to Olympia and back home every day for 7 years and I am certain these signs never existed along Interstate 5. Also, one picture shows mountains in the lower right corner. There are no visible mountains from Chehalis. It does look like an eraser board superimposed over different photos taken during different seasons (and not Chehalis).

Well for something that doesn't exist it sure does get a lot of attention on the Internet.

http://www.theobamafile.com/_oddsnends/Billboards.htm

So like the forum QB would say, "whatever!"

Oh, I didn't quote Char 's blog but another who quoted the exact same but left out the lead off sentence.
(12-06-2013, 09:51 AM)csrowan Wrote: 3: At least one other commenter disputes that these signs exist along that stretch of highway, and points out that it looks like one sign with a changeable message board.

I've driven through Chehalis on I-5 NB and SB recently, didn't see squat other than the changeable reader board right after the Rush Road onramp (northbound). Yeah, it had an anti-Obama message (something about him hating veterans).

If you're in the area, try the Rib Eye restaurant. Great food. Plus, you can get fat on deep fried dill pickle appetizers!
(12-06-2013, 11:37 AM)syn4xe Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 09:51 AM)csrowan Wrote: 3: At least one other commenter disputes that these signs exist along that stretch of highway, and points out that it looks like one sign with a changeable message board.

I've driven through Chehalis on I-5 NB and SB recently, didn't see squat other than the changeable reader board right after the Rush Road onramp (northbound). Yeah, it had an anti-Obama message (something about him hating veterans).

If you're in the area, try the Rib Eye restaurant. Great food. Plus, you can get fat on deep fried dill pickle appetizers!

Frickles! Razz Yummo! Big Grin
(12-06-2013, 09:51 AM)csrowan Wrote:

I went checking because I have never driven in the area but did hear of a guy named Hamilton who used to post political signs in same area. He made the news because he took on the Feds and State over his sign(s)

I did find this

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/w/I...qI0NHi9K0c

But this was the only source, Snopes didn't appear to have anything.
These are obviously all photos of, at most, two signs. Possibly one double sided sign. Taken at different times of the year. There is no "series" of these signs along some highway.

The photos with Obama to the left of the sign all have a large tree immediately behind the sign, and all four sides of the dry erase board side have black edges.

The photos with Obama to the right of the sign (in other words, taken of the other side of the double-sided sign, if that's what it is) have a small tree further in the background, and are missing the top black border on the dry erase board, but do have a piece of wire strung across the top of it instead.

Either one double sided sign, or a sign on each side of the road, facing oncoming traffic. That's it. No "Burma Shave" series of signs.

And if the federal government was really trying to blackmail the state into taking away someone's First Amendment Rights over these signs, you'd think that Right Wing Radio would have broadcast it to the stars by now if there was even a smidgen of falsehood to this story that they could spin to sound like a fact.
As my signature says. (that you can no longer see)

Consider the source. Twitch
'Comerades'? LOL, the great, uneducated, 'patriotic' GOP citizenry strikes again.

Obama won. Get over it.
(12-06-2013, 04:57 PM)TennisMom Wrote: 'Comerades'? LOL, the great, uneducated, 'patriotic' GOP citizenry strikes again.

Obama won. Get over it.

Kind of like the "Korn for Sale!" on 199.

Sometimes an eye catcher or an advertisement ploy.

By the way, nothing to get over, suffering is measured by your own perspective. Just depends if it's your turn, till then...

I believe if you look closely you'll find in the last few years the current administration has cut more social program support than increase it.

I expected the opposite.
LOL, yes, "CRON" for sale, very funny sign.

Ponder, you can give die-hard GOPers all the facts but they will continue to stick their fingers in their ears. I gave up trying to convince people after many years of frustration. It is like telling a GOPer that it's raining out and they need an umbrella. They will tell you up-and-down that it is actually sunny out there. They will stand there dripping wet, telling you how bright and hot it is outside.

Lead a horse to water but.....