Chromecast
Anyone have Chromecast? We're thinking about purchasing one. Wondering what what people who have used it think of it.

[Image: chromecast-black-background2.png]
One of my 0 reply threads. Laughing

http://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/sh...?tid=15229
Anyone else and it would have got talked up a storm, too. Smiling
(12-12-2013, 02:56 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Anyone have Chromecast? We're thinking about purchasing one. Wondering what what people who have used it think of it.

<Snip>

Don't!
Know some people who have it.
They can't even get "Gunsmoke".
(12-12-2013, 04:48 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(12-12-2013, 02:56 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Anyone have Chromecast? We're thinking about purchasing one. Wondering what what people who have used it think of it.

<Snip>

Don't!
Know some people who have it.
They can't even get "Gunsmoke".

And even iffin you could get Gunsmoke just look how small that thing is!
Looks like a trip to Best Buy today! We just ordered 4 of these babies over the phone. They're on sale right now for $29.99! We decided to get while the gettin' is good! Bought for us and each of the kids! Big Grin
Scrapper, you are so much more tech savvy than I am. When you get these gadgets figured out, will you tell me what they are, what they do and how does one integrate what they already have into them?

Thank you. Embarrassed
TM... search YouTube for Google Cromecast. Lots of good info!
http://m.cnet.com/reviews/google-chromecast/35823617
Dang, can't use them for Amazon Prime.
(12-16-2013, 06:29 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Dang, can't use them for Amazon Prime.

What's the difference between Amazon Prime and Instant?

I see that for $15 more you get a wider selection with Roku?
(12-16-2013, 06:39 PM)Prospector Wrote:
(12-16-2013, 06:29 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Dang, can't use them for Amazon Prime.

What's the difference between Amazon Prime and Instant?

I see that for $15 more you get a wider selection with Roku?

You pay a yearly fee for Amazon Prime and get a lot of tv shows/movies for free...like Netflix.

I have a Wii, but it doesn't stream well enough. I am thinking about a Roku 3, and then getting rid of cable.
So is it any better then a smart TV?
My TV already connects to the wireless router.

I'm still trying to figure this out. Does it only broadcast what's on the google chrome browser?
Would it display a power point or a video game too?
It will do Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, maybe some other stuff??? Oh... and anything from Google Chrome. Other than that? I recommend YouTube videos. I kike those better than hunting for regular reviews. There's a few that will take you through opening the box, connecting it, getting it to work, showing you how to work it, etc... as well as giving you a review. I only know that there are 4 of them on my kitchen table right now.
(12-16-2013, 08:44 PM)chuck white Wrote: So is it any better then a smart TV?

I'm still trying to figure this out. Does it only broadcast what's on the google chrome browser?

It only works while using Google Chrome browser, so no power point. I haven't used a smart TV, but my guess is this gadget was made for those of us that don't have one. (smart TV)
(12-16-2013, 09:50 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

It only works while using Google Chrome browser, so no power point. I haven't used a smart TV, but my guess is this gadget was made for those of us that don't have one. (smart TV)

They don't come with a browser (don't know why not). they give you , netflx, you-tube, hulu plus, skype, yahoo weather, other apps. I think the manufacture has total control, I see communication between the TV and them on the router log. I can also connect directly in to the TV and use it as a monitor from a laptop. That uses a cable so the laptop sits near the TV. But a wireless mouse makes it all remote.
(12-16-2013, 10:06 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(12-16-2013, 09:50 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

They don't come with a browser (don't know why not). they give you , netflx, you-tube, hulu plus, skype, yahoo weather, other apps. I think the manufacture has total control, I see communication between the TV and them on the router log. I can also connect directly in to the TV and use it as a monitor from a laptop. That uses a cable so the laptop sits near the TV. But a wireless mouse makes it all remote.

Same thing only wireless. I'd say you don't really need this unless you think hooking up with a wire is a hassle.