Hugo fugitive shoots himself in gut as marshals close in
"HUGO -- A fugitive shot himself Friday on Hitching Post Road in the Hugo area, after being tracked by his cell phone and visited by U.S. marshals from Medford and other law enforcement.

Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson said two of his deputies also responded to the incident along with the Oregon State Police, shortly before 2 p.m.

Earlier in the day the brother-in-law of the man, who was not identified, called Options for Southern Oregon from out of state to say the man was suicidal and under the influence of the painkiller oxycontin.

The man’s phone was last used to call his mother at 8 a.m., sheriff’s logs indicate. U.S. marshals were contacted, and went to a residence on Hitching Post Road after tracking the cellular phone.

The wanted man talked through the screen door and claimed he had a gun pointed to his head. Three shots were fired, and logs say the man had a .22 caliber wound to the abdomen.

Gilbertson said he believes the man was taken to the hospital. The logs indicate he was in custody for mental hold.

The shots were not fired by any law enforcement, Gilbertson said.

The man was wanted on warrants in Washington County, according to the logs."

Source: Daily Courier
It seems odd that a shot aimed at a persons own head would end up hitting his abdomen instead. And, not a very lethal place to hit, either, especially for a .22. I suppose the mental hospital might be the right choice here. What was his original crime?
(12-14-2013, 09:53 AM)PonderThis Wrote: It seems odd that a shot aimed at a persons own head would end up hitting his abdomen instead. And, not a very lethal place to hit, either, especially for a .22. I suppose the mental hospital might be the right choice here. What was his original crime?

No where does it say he shot at his head and missed.

The wanted man talked through the screen door and claimed he had a gun pointed to his head. Three shots were fired, and logs say the man had a .22 caliber wound to the abdomen.
Of course, TV. Laughing
I had a foster sister when I was young, who comiitted suicide after returning to her parents home, by shooting herself in the stomach. It took an ambulance a half hour to get to her, as she was out in Sams Valley. She used a 45. I think she may have survived had they been able to get to her fast enough. Maybe not. This was in 1979.
I still think of her often, and miss her.
(12-14-2013, 09:53 AM)PonderThis Wrote: It seems odd that a shot aimed at a persons own head would end up hitting his abdomen instead. And, not a very lethal place to hit, either, especially for a .22. I suppose the mental hospital might be the right choice here. What was his original crime?

No where does it say he shot at his head and missed.