Winter Ending Soon
Yes…I know winter is not even here officially.
Officially being the operative word.
But I'm already tired of it.
Snow, freezing bursting pipes, legs freezing while wearing shorts, and not enough sunshine to tan a earthworm.

So, I'm shutting down winter weather before it starts. I'm thinking December the 20th…a good even, round number, don't you think? Balmy weather in the 70's after that.

If any of you need this crap, let me know and I'll hold off a day or two…no longer.

Hope I'm not raining (reigning?…aren't you glad you were BORN here?) on your parade.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
(12-18-2013, 09:32 AM)Wonky Wrote: Yes…I know winter is not even here officially.
Snow, freezing bursting pipes, legs freezing while wearing shorts, and not enough sunshine to tan a earthworm.

So, I'm shutting down winter weather before it starts. I'm thinking December the 20th…a good even, round number, don't you think? Balmy weather in the 70's after that.

If any of you need this crap, let me know and I'll hold off a day or two…no longer.

Hope I'm not raining (reigning?…aren't you glad you were BORN here?) on your parade.

Or you could go south for the winter?
(12-18-2013, 09:49 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 09:32 AM)Wonky Wrote: Yes…I know winter is not even here officially.

He tried that last year but he claimed it was even colder and the people were weird.
Maybe next time he'll go farther south than Ashland.
(12-18-2013, 09:55 AM)tvguy Wrote:

He tried that last year but he claimed it was even colder and the people were weird.

One can go farther south than Ashland?
You told me once Ashland was WAY OUT THERE.

So, I'll be happy with the "winter we have" as Don Rumsfeld no doubt would advise. The difference is that he went to to war with the "army he had" and seemed happy about it.
(12-18-2013, 09:55 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I guess it could be worse, you could be farther north or somewhere -32 is warm?
(12-18-2013, 09:55 AM)tvguy Wrote: He tried that last year but he claimed it was even colder and the people were weird.

Laughing

Winter works fine for me all the way up until New Year's Day. Once the Christmas stuff is put away, I'm ready to vamoose this joint. As long as the DH is willing to drive the trailer down to Tucson, we'll haul ourselves down there. We visit our daughter, sit in the sun and go swimming. (Although last year we had four inches of snow on February 4th!!!!). No kiddin'. It doesn't even get all that bad here, compared to the northeast and where BZ lives in South Dakota. Still, it's gray, wet and chilly. The fireplace isn't enough to counteract all of it. So, off we go. Cool
(12-20-2013, 02:36 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 09:55 AM)tvguy Wrote: He tried that last year but he claimed it was even colder and the people were weird.

Laughing

Winter works fine for me all the way up until New Year's Day. Once the Christmas stuff is put away, I'm ready to vamoose this joint. As long as the DH is willing to drive the trailer down to Tucson, we'll haul ourselves down there. We visit our daughter, sit in the sun and go swimming. (Although last year we had four inches of snow on February 4th!!!!). No kiddin'. It doesn't even get all that bad here, compared to the northeast and where BZ lives in South Dakota. Still, it's gray, wet and chilly. The fireplace isn't enough to counteract all of it. So, off we go. Cool

Dove Mountain works for me (off of Tangerine Rd) minus the 4 inches of snow. Smiling
Happy Solstice. This may be the beginning of "Winter" but from this point on, every day gets a bit longer. It's not that I really long for longer days, but more sunlight helps to feel better. Less dreary.
January 21st holds more meaning to me, as that's typically the coldest day of the winter (lagging the soslice by 2-4 weeks, depending on a few circumstances I'm not going to go into here). The reason that date means more to me is, by that date you should still have half your firewood pile left, because there's just as much more to come. If not, better scramble for some more, or plan on being a little chillier come spring. Smiling
(12-20-2013, 02:36 PM)TennisMom Wrote:

Laughing

Nice thing is, it's rarely gray here...when it snows, it's sunny (or rather "bright")...kinda cool and the snow sparkles.
(12-21-2013, 10:46 AM)PonderThis Wrote: January 21st holds more meaning to me, as that's typically the coldest day of the winter (lagging the soslice by 2-4 weeks, depending on a few circumstances I'm not going to go into here). The reason that date means more to me is, by that date you should still have half your firewood pile left, because there's just as much more to come. If not, better scramble for some more, or plan on being a little chillier come spring. Smiling

There's a weather "saw" that says: As the days begin to lengthen, Winter strength begins to strengthen." The coldest days are typically after the Solstice.
Record temperatures in Australia.
(12-21-2013, 01:03 PM)chuck white Wrote: Record temperatures in Australia.

Thanks,Don't bog us down with too much infoLaughing
(12-21-2013, 10:48 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Nice thing is, it's rarely gray here...when it snows, it's sunny (or rather "bright")...kinda cool and the snow sparkles.

It's still snow. Big Grin

Our snow has pretty much melted and the temps are in the mid-to-upper 40s, which is not unpleasant. The roads are good, our driveway and walkway are clear of ice, there's no snow in the forecast and Christmas is around the corner. Happy happy joy joy.
(12-22-2013, 06:04 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(12-21-2013, 10:48 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Nice thing is, it's rarely gray here...when it snows, it's sunny (or rather "bright")...kinda cool and the snow sparkles.

Our snow has pretty much melted and the temps are in the mid-to-upper 40s, which is not unpleasant. The roads are good, our driveway and walkway are clear of ice, there's no snow in the forecast and Christmas is around the corner. Happy happy joy joy.
I feel it toooo. We had our winter weather for the year, now lets just enjoy the easy kind of winter we know and are used to.
(12-22-2013, 06:04 PM)TennisMom Wrote:

I was surprised to day when I took the dog to Beekman trail in Jacksonville. I had to turn back because the trail was so thick with ice it was hazardous.