Ashland City Council bans children from homeless shelters
(12-27-2013, 03:06 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(12-25-2013, 02:26 PM)bbqboy Wrote: As someone who volunteers at a church dinnner in Ashland, I feel
you are misguided in your fears , TM. There are
folks trying their best to make a bad situation a little bit better.
I can't speak for Medford, but Ashland is a pretty gentle place and
folks need help and a helping hand, not chastising.

I will defer to your opinion, bbq. My thoughts of homeless shelters stem from when Rudy Guiliani had people taken there involuntarily if they were sleeping on subway grates and park benches in freezing weather. Many of them were actually frightened of the shelters.

If the Ashland shelters are not on the same level, then it is indeed questionable why they wouldn't allow a family to spend a night in one of them. As the volunteers have said, they would not turn a family away. If they have to, I wonder if an alternative is offered?

They probably do what everyone else does. Make referrals.
(12-25-2013, 02:06 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(12-24-2013, 05:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Nope. As long as people are providing bare essentials, homelessness is not a crime that takes your children away from you.

True, but (with me there's always a 'but') if the only alternative is in what is perceived to be an unsafe or unhealthy environment, it might benefit the child or children to be placed somewhere safe until arrangements can be made; hopefully ASAP.

Apparently in England this view is supported.

[Image: 20131112-192847.jpg]

http://agirlcalledjack.com/2013/11/12/im...-was-dead/