Ashland City Council bans children from homeless shelters
(12-20-2013, 07:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-20-2013, 03:14 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Those children need to be removed from parents who cannot provide a home for them, until such time as they can or are helped to do so. Putting them up in a motel somewhere could be an option.

Surprised

To me that says it's a crime to be homeless. It's true that perhaps the situation you describe needs some attention, but that anyone without a home should lose custody of their child is shocking. (to me)

I'm saying that a motel should be an option for a family, or a specific shelter for families. It's not a crime to be homeless but children could be exposed to some pretty gnarly people in those shelters.

Who said anything about losing custody? Eek!

If the parents can get on their feet knowing their child is safe somewhere, that would get them together sooner; maybe after a night or two, especially if the right government agency is helping them. Families need help, not censure.
(12-22-2013, 07:07 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(12-20-2013, 07:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-20-2013, 03:14 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Those children need to be removed from parents who cannot provide a home for them, until such time as they can or are helped to do so. Putting them up in a motel somewhere could be an option.

Surprised

To me that says it's a crime to be homeless. It's true that perhaps the situation you describe needs some attention, but that anyone without a home should lose custody of their child is shocking. (to me)

I'm saying that a motel should be an option for a family, or a specific shelter for families. It's not a crime to be homeless but children could be exposed to some pretty gnarly people in those shelters.

Who said anything about losing custody? Eek!

If the parents can get on their feet knowing their child is safe somewhere, that would get them together sooner; maybe after a night or two, especially if the right government agency is helping them. Families need help, not censure.

You did. Only you said "removed". In legal speak that means losing custody. So, I took you at your word.
I heard today that there are over 300 kids that need foster homes in Josephine County alone, the highest number per population of any county in Oregon.

Rather than homeless shelters or taking children from families, perhaps as a nation and in these economic times every adult should have a guaranteed, liveable income and health care through Medicare.
Nah, let's just take the kids away from the parents.

[Image: 320px-Berlin_Pankow_orphanage.jpg]
(12-22-2013, 08:41 PM)Leonard Wrote: I heard today that there are over 300 kids that need foster homes in Josephine County alone, the highest number per population of any county in Oregon.

Rather than homeless shelters or taking children from families, perhaps as a nation and in these economic times every adult should have a guaranteed, liveable income and health care through Medicare.

Most of the kids needing foster care are in abusive/neglectful situations. As much as a livable income and health care would be a great thing, I don't know how much it would change the need for foster homes for children.
Don't you think if everyone had a livable income and health care, that abusive and neglectful situations would decline?
(12-22-2013, 09:12 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Don't you think if everyone had a livable income and health care, that abusive and neglectful situations would decline?

Yes, but perhaps not as much as you think. The people losing their kids usually are making poor choices, not trying as hard as they can on what they can make.
I don't really know either, but I'm thinking for example of Scandinavian countries, and whether a homeless situation or child care situation like this either one would compare as a problem.
(12-22-2013, 09:04 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Nah, let's just take the kids away from the parents.

[Image: 320px-Berlin_Pankow_orphanage.jpg]

And give them jobs.
[Image: india-child-labour_1570360i.jpg]
(12-22-2013, 08:41 PM)Leonard Wrote: I heard today that there are over 300 kids that need foster homes in Josephine County alone, the highest number per population of any county in Oregon.

Those 300 kids have mostly meth head parents or chronic drug or are alcohol abusers. GUARANTEED.

It figures you would jump to the conclusion that it's the nations fault Just because you don't have two dimes to rub together. Get over your whiny ass and go EARN some money.
(12-22-2013, 09:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Most of the kids needing foster care are in abusive/neglectful situations.

Exactly
(12-23-2013, 04:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Those 300 kids have mostly meth head parents or chronic drug or are alcohol abusers. GUARANTEED.

Yep.
(12-22-2013, 09:39 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't really know either, but I'm thinking for example of Scandinavian countries, and whether a homeless situation or child care situation like this either one would compare as a problem.

What is it with this desire to compare our multicultural multiracial or ethnic country to some tiny wealthy country in Northern Europe??
Us being the most wealthy country in the world, for one thing.
(12-23-2013, 04:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-22-2013, 09:39 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't really know either, but I'm thinking for example of Scandinavian countries, and whether a homeless situation or child care situation like this either one would compare as a problem.

What is it with this desire to compare our multicultural multiracial or ethnic country to some tiny wealthy country in Northern Europe??

Well, maybe it isn't relevant. But I can speak to the foster care situation in this County. It's overwhelmingly white kids in foster care. The Ethnic folks are doing great.
(12-23-2013, 04:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-23-2013, 04:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well, maybe it isn't relevant. But I can speak to the foster care situation in this County. It's overwhelmingly white kids in foster care. The Ethnic folks are doing great.

I wasn't trying to imply different. It just seems absurd to me that so many want to compare this country to Sweden or Finland when we are so different in so many ways.
America is just so singularly exceptional in every measurable way as to make comparison impossible in your mind, I know. By your notions we will just always stay exceptional on those same grounds, too. Is this a wonderful country, or what? Ninja

[Image: ostrich.jpg?w=300&h=238]
(12-23-2013, 05:04 PM)PonderThis Wrote: America is just so singularly exceptional in every measurable way as to make comparison impossible in your mind, I know. By your notions we will just always stay exceptional on those same grounds, too. Is this a wonderful country, or what? Ninja

Yes I think comparing the USA to tiny rich all white countries is usually stupid. And especially comparing them to us about Foster care.
I has nothing to do with how we are exceptional in many ways.

And yes this in indeed a wonderful country.
[Image: 08%20america%20fuck%20yeah-thumb-500x400.jpg]
(12-23-2013, 05:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-23-2013, 05:04 PM)PonderThis Wrote: America is just so singularly exceptional in every measurable way as to make comparison impossible in your mind, I know. By your notions we will just always stay exceptional on those same grounds, too. Is this a wonderful country, or what? Ninja

Yes I think comparing the USA to tiny rich all white countries is usually stupid. And especially comparing them to us about Foster care.
I has nothing to do with how we are exceptional in many ways.

And yes this in indeed a wonderful country.

It's so amusing to hear you spout on about how we're the Best! Best! Best! Best! Best! all the time, only to hear you complain about how we can't be compared to other countries any time someone says Country Y is better than we are at X.

If we're the Best! Best! Best! Best! Best!, you're comparing us to other countries. You're saying we're better than they are. And you do it all the time.

But the moment someone brings any specifics into it, "You can't compare them to us! We're different!" Rolling Eyes

And the funniest part is that you don't recognize that you're doing it.