New & Improved: WHAT ARE YOU DOING RIGHT NOW?
(01-03-2014, 08:01 PM)GPnative Wrote: Our family geocaches, we love it....it is a great hobby and has taken us to some very cool places. We are closing in on 900 finds and counting.
Having a premium membership is worth every penny as it allows for full paperless caching and you can run pocket queries, routes, etc all of which helps you get the most out of the hobby.

Things contingent on having the necessary technology. What I'm doing is quite different. It's like pointing me in a general direction, spin me around a couple of times and saying "Go find it."
(01-03-2014, 07:28 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 06:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 05:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Nice day. So, I decided to do a little geocaching. Geocaching and I are a bit of a joke as I don't have a gps tracker. So, it actually takes skill to find them. I ran into a coupld of elderly cachers while I was out. They were able to just walk up to it basically and grab it. I, on the other hand am really trying to sleuth out the caches. I explained this to them. They looked at me like I was nuts. "Why don't you just get a gps?" looking at me bemused, and not at all appreciating my super Spidey skills.Dry 5 out of 11. Not bad for just blindly trying to needles in haystacks.

I found a little jar with some odd stuff in it last year.It was partly hidden but I spied it anyway.I didn't know what the hell Geocaching was but I'm pretty sure I screwed it up for someoneRazz

Probably. You should have put it back, silly. Did it have a log? A paper to sign?

I found it right by a truck weigh station It was a small jar. I thought it was something some trucker stashed so I grabbed it and didn't open it until I got home.
Even then I didn't know what the hell it wasLaughing It had a little plastic bear and a key ring and some other junk.
After I discovered it wasn't crank I was bummedRazz I just thought it was some kids crap.
(01-03-2014, 08:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 05:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Nice day. So, I decided to do a little geocaching. Geocaching and I are a bit of a joke as I don't have a gps tracker. So, it actually takes skill to find them. I ran into a coupld of elderly cachers while I was out. They were able to just walk up to it basically and grab it. I, on the other hand am really trying to sleuth out the caches. I explained this to them. They looked at me like I was nuts. "Why don't you just get a gps?" looking at me bemused, and not at all appreciating my super Spidey skills.Dry 5 out of 11. Not bad for just blindly trying to needles in haystacks.

I found a little jar with some odd stuff in it last year.It was partly hidden but I spied it anyway.I didn't know what the hell Geocaching was but I'm pretty sure I screwed it up for someoneRazz

Probably. You should have put it back, silly. Did it have a log? A paper to sign?

I found it right by a truck weigh station It was a small jar. I thought it was something some trucker stashed so I grabbed it and didn't open it until I got home.
Even then I didn't know what the hell it wasLaughing It had a little plastic bear and a key ring and some other junk.
After I discovered it wasn't crank I was bummedRazz I just thought it was some kids crap.

Yep, sounds like a cache. Seems like you would have noticed the log though.
(01-03-2014, 08:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:01 PM)GPnative Wrote: Our family geocaches, we love it....it is a great hobby and has taken us to some very cool places. We are closing in on 900 finds and counting.
Having a premium membership is worth every penny as it allows for full paperless caching and you can run pocket queries, routes, etc all of which helps you get the most out of the hobby.

Things contingent on having the necessary technology. What I'm doing is quite different. It's like pointing me in a general direction and saying "Go find it."

Nothing wrong with that, that's the beauty of geocaching there is no right or wrong way to do it.
(01-03-2014, 08:10 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Things contingent on having the necessary technology. What I'm doing is quite different. It's like pointing me in a general direction and saying "Go find it."

Nothing wrong with that, that's the beauty of geocaching there is no right or wrong way to do it.

I'd like to actually do it with the technology, to go out and find big ones and motivation for longer hikes. But truth be told, I just can't afford one. I could buy one, but it would not be a very frugal purchase or one reflecting my means.
(01-03-2014, 08:09 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yep, sounds like a cache. Seems like you would have noticed the log though.

I did and I was planning on taking the thing back later when I was going that way but I kept forgetting until I figured it was too late.

But who else can say they found a geo treasure without coordinates, Google earth or even searchingBig Grin
I don't get it. Is it like a scavenger hunt?
(01-03-2014, 08:12 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I'd like to actually do it with the technology, to go out and find big ones and motivation for longer hikes. But truth be told, I just can't afford one. I could buy one, but it would not be a very frugal purchase or one reflecting my means.

Find big ones? Are you supposed to keep something? or trade?
(01-03-2014, 08:13 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I don't get it. Is it like a scavenger hunt?

I thought you told me you loved geocaching?
The GPS I use set me back around $150, but it allows for full paperless caching. It has more than paid for itself in the amount of fun it has given our family but to your point, yes $150 is a lot to shell out on a not essential item.
(01-03-2014, 08:12 PM)Tiamat Wrote: But truth be told, I just can't afford one. I could buy one, but it would not be a very frugal purchase or one reflecting my means.

Craigslist...

Magellan GPS for sale - $35 (talent)
Magellan Maestro 4040 GPS for sale. Great deal, in brand new shape! Email for more details if interested!
(01-03-2014, 08:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That's one way.[Image: fortpointcache.jpg]
(01-03-2014, 08:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:13 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I don't get it. Is it like a scavenger hunt?

He thought it was something to do with hostesss CachesRazz

You are supposed to trade, if you take something you are supposed to leave something. However some caches are "log only" and can be very very small, called nano's or micros.
Hmm. I just learned my phone has a GPS. I don't have a clue how to use it. Men never get lost or need directions anyway.
(01-03-2014, 08:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I love the idea of chasing stuff, but I'm foggy on the execution. Is it like orienteering?
(01-03-2014, 08:21 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Things contingent on having the necessary technology. What I'm doing is quite different. It's like pointing me in a general direction and saying "Go find it."

You are supposed to trade, if you take something you are supposed to leave something. However some caches are "log only" and can be very very small, called nano's or micros.

I see. I wonder if my dog would help me zoom in once I got close. I think she would.
The urban ones are usually log only. [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsmZQaALE_F7e1IARUxoX...dirSt5EBMN]

It's just the idea.

And people use tags. [Image: geocoinstravelbug.png]

And people move them around the world.

Ideally they take pictures of your tag and post details about where they are.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfn9Q05oQFN0Q5X7l1xEt...ueCEyaPNcw]

You can have a goal. Like having your tag go to Mount Everest and back. Or just to a location and then return.

Or collectibles.[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIJu8gRPQ5ec7GDyALijh...XEphT5Ji8g]

Because after a while just swapping junk is kind of lame. It's the game that's fun. If you are doing it with kids, though, they love the swag. (stuff)
Or it can be a multiple one. With hints to the next one. Or a game of clue, or a variety of ways to make it more fun and interesting. Riddles. Location clues and answers. Lots of variations.
(01-03-2014, 08:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hmm. I just learned my phone has a GPS. I don't have a clue how to use it. Men never get lost or need directions anyway.

I think you need an app to play.