New & Improved: WHAT ARE YOU DOING RIGHT NOW?
(01-03-2014, 08:22 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:13 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I don't get it. Is it like a scavenger hunt?

I thought you told me you loved geocaching?
I love the idea of chasing stuff, but I'm foggy on the execution. Is it like orienteering?

I don't know what orienteering is. There's a much older form of the game that dates back to I think the late 19th century called letterboxing that doesn't use the high tech and the users have their own individual stamp that they use to prove their find. It was based on snail mail and real life clues. Hardly anyone does it. It's cool. I'd like to do that.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYAtmDvxFLSVsXetFykOJ...ax2rZh2vc5]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTayHJ679HXK34p8kA1CXn...zydi9Yl5pV]
Our family has launched a couple of the trackables (travel bugs) one of them has logged over 11,000 miles and is currently in Germany. Truly a world wide game!
(01-03-2014, 08:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:12 PM)Tiamat Wrote: But truth be told, I just can't afford one. I could buy one, but it would not be a very frugal purchase or one reflecting my means.

Craigslist...

Magellan GPS for sale - $35 (talent)
Magellan Maestro 4040 GPS for sale. Great deal, in brand new shape! Email for more details if interested!

I actually have a borrowed magellan. It's an automobile navigator. I'll be damned if I can figure out how to enter the coordinates. It's all geared to addresses and streets maps. Some are better for geocaching.
(01-03-2014, 08:28 PM)GPnative Wrote: Our family has launched a couple of the trackables (travel bugs) one of them has logged over 11,000 miles and is currently in Germany. Truly a world wide game!

I have one trackable launched this summer that has gone to Utah and Idaho. Currently in Idaho.
(01-03-2014, 08:24 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Or it can be a multiple one. With hints to the next one. Or a game of clue, or a variety of ways to make it more fun and interesting. Riddles. Location clues and answers. Lots of variations.

It could be very interesting. With some stinging nettle, snakes, whoopee cushins, trip wires. My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives to standard geocaching.
(01-03-2014, 08:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:24 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Or it can be a multiple one. With hints to the next one. Or a game of clue, or a variety of ways to make it more fun and interesting. Riddles. Location clues and answers. Lots of variations.

It could be very interesting. With some stinging nettle, snakes, whoopee cushins, trip wires. My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives to standard geocaching.

Oh yeah, we were knee deep in stickers and then holly today. Ouch! I couldn't find the one in the stickers. (the folks with the gps device did) but we found the Holly one ahead of them. We were searching simultaneously. Then they led me to another one that they just walked up to with their device, but I kind of felt like where is the fun in that? That's why some people make them hard and some are easy. Obviously I have to go for somewhat easier ones. I have found one in a flattened soccer ball, an squished plastic bottle and a fake pile of dog doo.Big Grin

Ticks and poison oak are pretty standard and ongoing occurrences for most cachers Big Grin

LaughingLaughing There are rules you know.
(01-03-2014, 08:35 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Ticks and poison oak are pretty standard and ongoing occurrences for most cachers Big Grin

Ticks! Ugh!! Tics?

OK what if I paint a garter snake to look like a rattler and hot glue a rattle on his tail!
Yeah yeah, ya saw one of those last weekSad
I took my GS a couple of times and he could often spot them before I did. I go by the general location and hints. Some people don't post hints because they are making it hard. I need the hints. Sometimes people find them and leave hints that help in their find logs.
(01-03-2014, 08:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:

OK what if I paint a garter snake to look like a rattler and hot glue a rattle on his tail!

Technically I guess that would be within the rules.

Hiding them in lampposts is popular.
Still bellied up... my main squeeze has won more $$$ for my Cabo fund! Woo Hoo!
Hey, BBQ, there is one directly across the street from the current As IS.
(01-03-2014, 08:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Lamp posts eh? Being an electrician and working a lot on street lights , traffic signals and lamp posts .There is one thing I know that most people don't.
There's a black widow in every oneTwitch
(01-03-2014, 08:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: It could be very interesting. With some stinging nettle, snakes, whoopee cushins, trip wires. My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives to standard geocaching.

Lamp posts eh? Being an electrician and working a lot on street lights , traffic signals and lamp posts .There is one thing I know that most people don't.

LOL. No one has ever reported one.

There is one in Medford called WigWag. Not a lamp post one. But the guy was pointing out that the Wig Wag in Medford is one of only 50 left in the United States. Obviously a railroad buff. But it was cool. Instead of things it was knowledge. I appreciated it. And learned what a WigWag is.Big Grin
(01-03-2014, 08:41 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Hey, BBQ, there is one directly across the street from the current As IS.

that's what we discussed & I asked if it was the Volvo. You said no. That was the extent of my knowledge. Big Grin
(01-03-2014, 08:46 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:41 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Hey, BBQ, there is one directly across the street from the current As IS.

that's what we discussed & I asked if it was the Volvo. You said no. That was the extent of my knowledge. Big Grin

It's something permanent. A volvo moves. It's directly across the street from the front gate. (entry gate) Mystery! See if you can figure it out. Took me two times to get it. Now that you know that, you'll be able to figure it out too!Laughing
(01-03-2014, 08:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:35 PM)GPnative Wrote: Ticks and poison oak are pretty standard and ongoing occurrences for most cachers Big Grin

LOL. No one has ever reported one.

There is one in Medford called WigWag. Not a lamp post one. But the guy was pointing out that the Wig Wag in Medford is one of only 50 left in the United States. Obviously a railroad buff. But it was cool. Instead of things it was knowledge. I appreciated it. And learned what a WigWag is.Big Grin

OH I see now. These hidden things are permanent. Anyway is a wigwag one of those old charcoal burners?