New & Improved: WHAT ARE YOU DOING RIGHT NOW?
(03-18-2014, 10:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I'm not sure what you want to transport, but if you intend to grocery shop by bike, I like a detachable basket with a handle you can bring in the store with you.

[Image: BrooksFrontBasketOnBike2.jpg]

Anyway, as I said above.....I transport my handbag. That's my commuter bag You could call it a purse, I think it qualifies as a handbag. It contains a wallet, a separate wallet with keys and cards, a case with sunglasses in it. A box with things like aleve and throat lozenges in it. A compact, a cell phone a geocache log and whatever else I choose to transport. Today it was a pack of white drawing paper and a couple of pump bottles. I was bundled up in slouchie hat, gloves, flannel shirt and gloves. But when it was time to go home, I didn't need those things, so they got crammed into the bag to make the trip home. I like to stop at the Natural Growers and pick up veg for dinner. So, that's more to add. A sturdy carrier would be nice. As long as it's sturdy and it functions the way it should. In other words. It holds and transports without difficulty. Tomorrow, it will be slouchie hat, mittens, scarf, more pump bottles and a set of watercolor paints and probably a lunch squeezed in there. I like to listen to tunes on the phone. Right now limited to Pandora, but will be changing that soon to a better source and more convenient.
Right now, realizing, that without the right music in my ears, it's almost impossible to even TRY and post here.

Helpful tip.
(03-18-2014, 08:37 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm usually not too far from home. I am commuting after all. Does AAA apply to bicycles?Laughing

Anyway, what I do now is ride with a bag slung over one shoulder. Kind of a hippy bag made in Tibet. I use a handbag when I go to work, so the handbag goes inside the hippy sack and over the shoulder it goes. I like better than a backpack. But a rack on the back would be better. I tend to pick things up as I go. I have a helmet that my daughter gave me, but it's a skater helmet and incredibly hot. I'll pick up a cycling helmet. Plus, I'm still kind of a hold out from the old days when nobody wore helmets, (and nobody used pipes but smoked jointsLaughing)but I realize that's kind of a stupid and selfish attitude, so, I will pick one up.

It's selfish to smoke a joint?Razz
(03-18-2014, 10:29 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Sad thing I'm doing right now. I'm discontinuing my land line of 22 years. I sent out messages to everyone. We all feel sad to lose this number that's been our heads for so so long. It's like saying goodbye...to something.

Yes saying Goodby to paying for phone you don't needWink
My mother will never get rid of her land line.

She only gives out her cell phone to people she is willing to let contact her wherever she is. Otherwise, they get the land line. And if the power goes out for a couple of days (unlikely, but possible), or the cell towers go down (again, unlikely, but possible), the land line doesn't need electricity. As long as the phone line isn't damaged, she can make phone calls.

Maybe it's not necessary 99% of the time, but she can afford to have a cell phone and a land line, and it makes her feel more secure. I can't fault her logic, either.
(03-18-2014, 10:57 PM)csrowan Wrote: My mother will never get rid of her land line.

She only gives out her cell phone to people she is willing to let contact her wherever she is. Otherwise, they get the land line. And if the power goes out for a couple of days (unlikely, but possible), or the cell towers go down (again, unlikely, but possible), the land line doesn't need electricity. As long as the phone line isn't damaged, she can make phone calls.

Maybe it's not necessary 99% of the time, but she can afford to have a cell phone and a land line, and it makes her feel more secure. I can't fault her logic, either.

It's not really logic is it? Smiling It's just someone stubborn and set in their ways. The odds that cell phones will all fail and land lines will save the day are extremely unlikely.But you know that.Smiling
But YOUR logic is fine. Let her have what makes her happyBig Grin
It is logic.

My mother likes the security of having a cell phone. Therefore she has a cell phone. She does NOT like having the cell phone ring whenever anyone wants to get ahold of her. Therefore she only gives out her cell phone number to certain people. Therefore she needs another phone number to give to other people. Therefore she either needs another cell phone or a land line.

My mother likes to plan for potential problems, not because she thinks they are going to happen, but because if she can plan for them with relative ease, then IF they happen, she will be prepared. We get power outages on a regular basis. Maybe not week-long power outages, but we get them. You ever have your cell phone die on you because you forgot to charge it? My mother is the emergency contact for my grandfather. Next time we have a power outage, if her cell phone is dead and he has a problem, he needs to be able to contact her.

Just because YOU don't see a need to have a land line and a cell phone doesn't mean it's illogical for someone else to do so.
I like my land line. I like having it there. I love the the number I've had unchanged for 20 years. And I never use it. No one calls me on it. I pay for a box that rings with telemarketers. I love the number, but in reality, Indeed to trip some expenses. Cellphone I use. It's definitely about logic.

And money.
(03-18-2014, 11:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-18-2014, 10:57 PM)csrowan Wrote: My mother will never get rid of her land line.

It's not really logic is it? Smiling It's just someone stubborn and set in their ways. The odds that cell phones will all fail and land lines will save the day are extremely unlikely.But you know that.Smiling

Set in her ways, probably has had a cell phone and land line all her life.
(03-18-2014, 11:14 PM)csrowan Wrote: It is logic.

My mother likes the security of having a cell phone. Therefore she has a cell phone. She does NOT like having the cell phone ring whenever anyone wants to get ahold of her. Therefore she only gives out her cell phone number to certain people. Therefore she needs another phone number to give to other people. Therefore she either needs another cell phone or a land line.

My mother likes to plan for potential problems, not because she thinks they are going to happen, but because if she can plan for them with relative ease, then IF they happen, she will be prepared. We get power outages on a regular basis. Maybe not week-long power outages, but we get them. You ever have your cell phone die on you because you forgot to charge it? My mother is the emergency contact for my grandfather. Next time we have a power outage, if her cell phone is dead and he has a problem, he needs to be able to contact her.

Just because YOU don't see a need to have a land line and a cell phone doesn't mean it's illogical for someone else to do so.

You're a loopy waffeler you practically admitted in the first post the logic was lacking.
You said yourself..
Quote: Maybe it's not necessary 99% of the time,

keeping a land line is logical for that ONE percent of the time?
but she can afford to have a cell phone and a land line,

She can afford it is using logic?

and it makes her feel more secure.

Yeah that the part I agreed with but that doesn't mean it "logical"

BTW you could get her a car charger if the power went out long enough to have your cell battery go dead. And they make little chargers you can crank.

And the giving number to certain people on one phone and other people on another phone.. BlinkThat's logic?
I still have my landline, and will continue with one when we move. I much prefer yakking on it than on my cell. Which I only even got so that I can be contacted when away from my hubby. I am at my home more than 90% of the time. I do like to text with my girls, tho.
(03-18-2014, 11:19 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-18-2014, 11:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Set in her ways, probably has had a cell phone and land line all her life.

Because I'm attached to it. I've had it for 20 + years. My cellphone is attached to my daughters account. So it's not really my account anymore. But it costs me less than having my own account. This is the number the kids have had all their lives. Can you remember your first phone number in your life? I can.
(03-18-2014, 10:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-18-2014, 08:37 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm usually not too far from home. I am commuting after all. Does AAA apply to bicycles?Laughing

Anyway, what I do now is ride with a bag slung over one shoulder. Kind of a hippy bag made in Tibet. I use a handbag when I go to work, so the handbag goes inside the hippy sack and over the shoulder it goes. I like better than a backpack. But a rack on the back would be better. I tend to pick things up as I go. I have a helmet that my daughter gave me, but it's a skater helmet and incredibly hot. I'll pick up a cycling helmet. Plus, I'm still kind of a hold out from the old days when nobody wore helmets, (and nobody used pipes but smoked jointsLaughing)but I realize that's kind of a stupid and selfish attitude, so, I will pick one up.

It's selfish to smoke a joint?Razz

Absolutely not. Joints are meant to be shared. I haven't seen one in 30 years.
(03-19-2014, 08:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Can you remember your first phone number in your life? I can.

714-427-8866 Smiling

They have a different area code there now. zip code too.
(03-19-2014, 08:55 AM)tealeaf Wrote:
(03-19-2014, 08:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Can you remember your first phone number in your life? I can.

714-427-8866 Smiling

The OC
(03-19-2014, 12:14 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-18-2014, 11:14 PM)csrowan Wrote: It is logic.

You're a loopy waffeler you practically admitted in the first post the logic was lacking.
You said yourself..
Quote: Maybe it's not necessary 99% of the time,

keeping a land line is logical for that ONE percent of the time?
but she can afford to have a cell phone and a land line,

She can afford it is using logic?

and it makes her feel more secure.

Yeah that the part I agreed with but that doesn't mean it "logical"

BTW you could get her a car charger if the power went out long enough to have your cell battery go dead. And they make little chargers you can crank.

And the giving number to certain people on one phone and other people on another phone.. BlinkThat's logic?

I never waffled.

I said that I couldn't fault her logic. Just because you personally would not do the same thing in her shoes does not mean that her logic is flawed. You would be operating from a different set of premises.

As long as the arguments agree with the premises, the logic is not flawed.

Maybe you like having everyone you know be able to call you wherever you are. My mother doesn't. Family and close friends have her cell phone number. Emergency contacts have her cell phone number. Everyone else has her home number. If she's not there, they can leave a message.

Maybe you have your cell phone on your belt at all times. My mother leaves hers in her purse. At home, there are phones in every room. No running for the phone all the time.

There are numerous reasons. But ultimately, she wants to know that she will have phone service even if the power goes out. Even if the cell towers go out.

Maybe it won't ever happen. But there are a lot of people who won't ever need to use a gun in self defense either.
(03-19-2014, 08:55 AM)tealeaf Wrote:

714-427-8866 Smiling

213-442-1622
Until I was 8 408-530-4004, then 541-772-3706, then 541-830-0411 (there are more)....I remember all of mine.

Kind of cool that my latest LL # is VERY similar to my first in life.
(03-19-2014, 05:37 AM)tealeaf Wrote: I still have my landline, and will continue with one when we move. I much prefer yakking on it than on my cell. Which I only even got so that I can be contacted when away from my hubby. I am at my home more than 90% of the time. I do like to text with my girls, tho.

You just need one of these, it's a cell phone inside an old phone...It's a car phone [Image: dsc05234.jpg?w=750&h=563]

You can carry it around...

[Image: dsc05237.jpg?w=750&h=563]

...Portable Rotary Phone
Fully functional Portable Rotary Phone! Phone comes fully assembled and tested. All you have to do is open the phone, insert your SIM card, and turn the unit on. The unit will utilize your phone number and account minutes. Phone can dial out using the rotary and will ring with the original metal bells with an incoming call.The battery can run the phone for 5-6 hours and is charged by unscrewing two screws on the bottom of the phone, opening it, and attaching the charger.
Phone comes with:
(03-19-2014, 02:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-19-2014, 05:37 AM)tealeaf Wrote: I still have my landline, and will continue with one when we move. I much prefer yakking on it than on my cell. Which I only even got so that I can be contacted when away from my hubby. I am at my home more than 90% of the time. I do like to text with my girls, tho.

You just need one of these, it's a cell phone inside an old phone...It's a car phone [Image: dsc05234.jpg?w=750&h=563]

You can carry it around...

[Image: dsc05237.jpg?w=750&h=563]

...Portable Rotary Phone
Fully functional Portable Rotary Phone! Phone comes fully assembled and tested. All you have to do is open the phone, insert your SIM card, and turn the unit on. The unit will utilize your phone number and account minutes. Phone can dial out using the rotary and will ring with the original metal bells with an incoming call.The battery can run the phone for 5-6 hours and is charged by unscrewing two screws on the bottom of the phone, opening it, and attaching the charger.
Phone comes with:

But why?