New & Improved: WHAT ARE YOU DOING RIGHT NOW?
(06-13-2014, 07:40 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(06-11-2014, 10:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Ants! Millions of them in different areas. I always get the tiny sugar ants. But these ones are different. They are a bit bigger, and they bite!

Cinnamon is the answer. Sprinkle where you don't want them to go.
I had to make a ring around the cat cat bowl to keep them out.

The little ants I my house are crawling up the wall. Any suggestions on how to keep a circle of cinnamon on the wall?
(06-14-2014, 06:59 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-11-2014, 10:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Ants! Millions of them in different areas. I always get the tiny sugar ants. But these ones are different. They are a bit bigger, and they bite!

The little ants I my house are crawling up the wall. Any suggestions on how to keep a circle of cinnamon on the wall?

Easy. Lick it first.

Easy. Lick it first. LaughingLaughingLaughing
(06-14-2014, 07:12 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Laughing
I think I'll try a sponge and put just a little cinnamon on the wall to see if the ants avoid it. Sometimes Chuck likes to play tricks on us.
(06-14-2014, 07:37 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Laughing
I think I'll try a sponge and put just a little cinnamon on the wall to see if the ants avoid it. Sometimes Chuck likes to play tricks on us.

Don't forget to leave a few dead ones on the wall........it's like a warning not to come back.Big Grin
(06-14-2014, 07:47 AM)Jeep Wrote:
(06-13-2014, 07:40 AM)chuck white Wrote: Cinnamon is the answer. Sprinkle where you don't want them to go.

Laughing

Don't forget to leave a few dead ones on the wall........it's like a warning not to come back.Big Grin

I have conducted the experiment and at first no ants crossed the cinnamon, then one brave ant did and others followed. See the photo below.

[Image: 109_zps1468afbe.jpg]

The experiment demonstrated that cinnamon, at least when smeared on the wall with a sponge is not an effective way to control ant migration. Now I got to wipe that cinnamon off the wall before the wife sees it and gives me the look. Laughing Easily entertained is the answer to the question you are thinking right now.
Ants on the wall don't bother her, but a little bit of cinnamon will? Some people are strange. Smiling
(06-14-2014, 09:24 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Ants on the wall don't bother her, but a little bit of cinnamon will? Some people are strange. Smiling
Woohoo! Hello Ponder. Smiling

It is the dirty looking smear of cinnamon that bothers her. Oh, and the ants do too. She has ant killer on her shopping list. I think its the Terro stuff.

Now don't try to post too much right away. You need to fully recover from you hiatus before you go gun slinging. Laughing

Nice to see you post . This place is damn near dead. Smiling
Tv will be happy.
My own experience with Terro is it is a wonderful product for controlling sugar feeding ants. However, after you get rid of the sugar feeding ants, then another species moves in to the vacuum and you will notice they laugh at Terro and move on to whatever it is they like to eat instead.

I have used diatomaceous earth against ants, but it's even messier than cinnamon, and won't stick to walls a bit better either. I haven't personally been bothered by ants in years now (decades really) so I have to chalk this down to being my good karma, too. Smiling
(06-14-2014, 10:05 AM)PonderThis Wrote: My own experience with Terro is it is a wonderful product for controlling sugar feeding ants. However, after you get rid of the sugar feeding ants, then another species moves in to the vacuum and you will notice they laugh at Terro and move on to whatever it is they like to eat instead.

I have used diatomaceous earth against ants, but it's even messier than cinnamon, and won't stick to walls a bit better either. I haven't personally been bothered by ants in years now (decades really) so I have to chalk this down to being my good karma, too. Smiling
Living with insects in the house is something people in tropical regions, do better than us. I don't mind most spiders in the house, but the ants look for food and get into cupboards. I don't like sharing my food with ants.
To celebrate Ponders return I will no longer post in color. Big Grin (because he stated it is a mild irritant to him)

Clete,
Maybe your wife would like a cute new pet?

(06-14-2014, 08:17 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-14-2014, 07:47 AM)Jeep Wrote:
(06-14-2014, 06:59 AM)cletus1 Wrote: The little ants I my house are crawling up the wall. Any suggestions on how to keep a circle of cinnamon on the wall?

Laughing

I have conducted the experiment and at first no ants crossed the cinnamon, then one brave ant did and others followed. See the photo below.

[Image: 109_zps1468afbe.jpg]

The experiment demonstrated that cinnamon, at least when smeared on the wall with a sponge is not an effective way to control ant migration. Now I got to wipe that cinnamon off the wall before the wife sees it and gives me the look. Laughing Easily entertained is the answer to the question you are thinking right now.

Maybe oil of cinnamon? I will look for some on my next foray for extracts...I need oil of oregano, and extract of california poppy. I can add oil of cinnamon to the list.
Hot sauce and bay leaves
Dollar shop cayenne pepper.
(06-14-2014, 10:44 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Hot sauce and bay leaves

I put a little hot sauce out. But terro is the best. The cinnamon works for the cat's dish. The cat is pretty old. She lost her other fang a week or so back. So, now she is fangless. I had to replace her lipped dish with a flat dish as she is no longer able to pick up the pieces of food from inside a depression.
The cinnamon on the wall was to thin, they just walked between the pieces of cinnamon. you'll need more of a solid line.
I solved my ant problem. I followed the ants (at night and at a distance of course in a non descript vehicle with the headlights off). When I turned on the lights, I found a trail of them going to an open bag of sugar in the cupboard. I only use the sugar to make hummingbird food, so I picked out the ants and stored the sugar in the refrigerator that I keep in the garage for garden vegetable storage. Smiling
(06-16-2014, 08:05 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I solved my ant problem. I followed the ants (at night and at a distance of course in a non descript vehicle with the headlights off). When I turned on the lights, I found a trail of them going to an open bag of sugar in the cupboard. I only use the sugar to make hummingbird food, so I picked out the ants and stored the sugar in the refrigerator that I keep in the garage for garden vegetable storage. Smiling

Well done Sherlock..... Wink
I wonder if the sugar will turn into a block.