Medford considers pit bull ban
(01-26-2014, 05:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 05:43 PM)Wonky Wrote: There is a breaking story (hot of the presses) that the City Fathers are going to ban people and let only Pit Bull Dogs live in Medford.
If you sneak into town, be careful where you step. And bring some raw meat.

WE are raw meat,Pit bulls know this There in lies the rub.

PS I herd some guy say therin lies the rub, don't know what it means but it makes me sound all sofis... sophlis.... smart an stuff

That Shakespeare fellow, always writing late at night when he can't sleep and his old woman won't put out.
From Hamlet:
"To die, to sleep--
To sleep--perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause."

Read more at http://www.monologuearchive.com/s/shakes...Io7Gwgt.99
if you got nothin' better to do.
(01-26-2014, 06:23 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 05:43 PM)Wonky Wrote: There is a breaking story (hot of the presses) that the City Fathers are going to ban people and let only Pit Bull Dogs live in Medford.

PS I herd some guy say therin lies the rub, don't know what it means but it makes me sound all sofis... sophlis.... smart an stuff

That Shakespeare fellow, always writing late at night when he can't sleep and his old woman won't put out.
From Hamlet:
"To die, to sleep--
To sleep--perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause."

Read more at http://www.monologuearchive.com/s/shakes...Io7Gwgt.99
if you got nothin' better to do.

OK I red it... he says Whether 'tis nobler nobler? I think Hamlet was the first hillbillyBig Grin
Yes sir he was a hillbilie, here the beginin before it was all trasnplaneted to the engelish loungwidge.

HAMLET: To be, or maybe not, thats what I wuz wonderin
Whether 'tis nobler in my dome to suffer
slings and arrows of my crappy luck
Or to arm myself and get in a butt load of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die in some skanky prison

Syphilisticated, you is.
(01-26-2014, 07:16 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Syphilisticated, you is.

Aw shucks , Thanks
So, Does the MT have a stake in this fight? I notice they are posting something about pit bull attacks nearly daily. Today, a running tally:

Dog-bite cases: 54; guns fired at people: 27

January 28, 2014

http://www.mailtribune.com/
(01-28-2014, 09:51 AM)Tiamat Wrote: So, Does the MT have a stake in this fight? I notice they are posting something about pit bull attacks nearly daily. Today, a running tally:

January 28, 2014

So, if they didn't report the news of pit bull attacks, couldn't one ask if they have a stake, but on the other side?
They report the news. Unless you are suggesting they are setting up these fights, or cooking the stats to make a point, your quesiton seems illogical to me.
Their job is to inform so people can form educated opinions. It seems to me that is exactly what they are doing.
(01-28-2014, 09:55 AM)gapper Wrote:
(01-28-2014, 09:51 AM)Tiamat Wrote: So, Does the MT have a stake in this fight? I notice they are posting something about pit bull attacks nearly daily. Today, a running tally:

January 28, 2014

So, if they didn't report the news of pit bull attacks, couldn't one ask if they have a stake, but on the other side?
They report the news. Unless you are suggesting they are setting up these fights to make a point, your quesiton seems illogical to me.

Not illogical at all. Newspapers have agendas all the time. However, you make a very good point.
(01-28-2014, 09:56 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-28-2014, 09:55 AM)gapper Wrote:

January 28, 2014

They report the news. Unless you are suggesting they are setting up these fights to make a point, your quesiton seems illogical to me.

Not illogical at all. Newspapers have agendas all the time. However, you make a very good point.

I agree. Newspapers have agendas at times. But I don't see that in this case unless, again, they are fabricating these reports of dog attacks.

January 28, 2014

Of course the Mail Tribune has a stake in it. They're in the business of selling newspapers, and sensational and emotional news tugs at peoples pursestrings, and there's no motivation known to man more powerful than fear. They know every bit what they are doing. Real issue or not.

January 28, 2014

I think a current pit bull attack is more newsworthy than normally when It's been in the news that Medford considering bans or regulations.
(01-28-2014, 01:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:

January 28, 2014

I think a current pit bull attack is more newsworthy than normally when It's been in the news that Medford considering bans or regulations.

It's not that they are running the story. But the way they are running them. All these past attacks and I don't see them in the paper. The City Council considers the ban and now every pit bull related story is front page. Make what you want of it.
I wonder if Medford will stick with banning just pits or want to broaden the ban to other breed?
If they would just ban humans, crime would be non-existent.
(02-20-2014, 10:53 PM)csrowan Wrote: If they would just ban humans, crime would be non-existent.

And.....your point? I mean, esoterically, I get it, but it's not really relevant to the question. If we just banned humans we wouldn't even discuss this.
Well, you didn't exactly define the "other breed" in your previous post. Perhaps I was being a little broad in my definition. But if we actually wanted to limit the amount of harm caused by any particular breed, I've got to say that it's the generic Human that's caused the most damage to every other species out there, including other humans.

So what if pitbulls occasionally bite? Humans make entire species go extinct.
(02-20-2014, 11:58 PM)csrowan Wrote: Well, you didn't exactly define the "other breed" in your previous post. Perhaps I was being a little broad in my definition. But if we actually wanted to limit the amount of harm caused by any particular breed, I've got to say that it's the generic Human that's caused the most damage to every other species out there, including other humans.

C S Rowan for County Commissioner. Smiling
(02-20-2014, 11:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-20-2014, 10:53 PM)csrowan Wrote: If they would just ban humans, crime would be non-existent.

And.....your point? I mean, esoterically, I get it, but it's not really relevant to the question. If we just banned humans we wouldn't even discuss this.

Well yeah,…

But if you read the piece in the MT it reminded us that dogs are not the real problem, dog OWNERS are.

So, while CS had his tongue planted firmly in cheek, he did make a point. For me at least.
(02-21-2014, 08:29 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-20-2014, 11:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Well yeah,…

But if you read the piece in the MT it reminded us that dogs are not the real problem, dog OWNERS are.

So, while CS had his tongue planted firmly in cheek, he did make a point. For me at least.

I don't think that matters to the law makers in this case, Wonky. We've discussed that human element of this issue a lot in this thread.
(02-20-2014, 11:58 PM)csrowan Wrote: Well, you didn't exactly define the "other breed" in your previous post. Perhaps I was being a little broad in my definition. But if we actually wanted to limit the amount of harm caused by any particular breed, I've got to say that it's the generic Human that's caused the most damage to every other species out there, including other humans.

Well, I agree with you,Rowan. But it's a pitbull and pitbull like breed ban that is being discussed. I wasn't referring to any particular "other" breed, just wondering. But, if they start with pits, who's to say they can't broaden the definition of dangerous breeds?