Medford considers pit bull ban
Interesting. I have never own the breed but have friends that own two and both are sweethearts. One is a blood donor for a vet office. I know that some breeds are banned from dog parks in some States (pits, rots,)

MEDFORD (AP) The Medford City Council is considering a pit bull ban at a Thursday study session in City Hall.

The Mail Tribune newspaper reports pit bulls were involved in half of the 89 attacks in the past three years on people or other animals. Eight of the 11 fatal attacks on other animals involved pit bulls or pit bull mixes.
A lot of people consider them great, lovable pets, although the evidence says otherwise. I for one believe the evidence. Just because someone might have one of the "good ones" does not mean that the breed is not notorious for attacks on people and animals.
In the last couple or three years I have known a couple of pit bulls that were just the sweetest things to humans, at least seemingly. One joined with her son and attacked another dog, causing almost $1000 in vet costs to save the attacked dog (a few months after I'd banned them from my own property, after they'd viciously attacked my own dog without real damage, although my dog literally shook for a day). The other sweet pit bull, which loves both me and my dog and frequently comes to visit with his owner, who I have known since puppyhood and is my great friend (if not a bit rough, these dogs don't seem to know their own strength), went next door from his own house, attacked their dog bloody, then when the owners came home growled and snarled so much she was terrified to enter her own home. That one cost more like $1500 in vet bills. He's on a years probation with county animal control, the other pair managed to move soon enough to avoid the animal control visit.

I'm not sure I have a conclusion or an opinion here yet.
(01-09-2014, 09:43 AM)Prospector Wrote: Interesting. I have never own the breed but have friends that own two and both are sweethearts. One is a blood donor for a vet office. I know that some breeds are banned from dog parks in some States (pits, rots,)

MEDFORD (AP) The Medford City Council is considering a pit bull ban at a Thursday study session in City Hall.

The Mail Tribune newspaper reports pit bulls were involved in half of the 89 attacks in the past three years on people or other animals. Eight of the 11 fatal attacks on other animals involved pit bulls or pit bull mixes.

Nearly every dog in West Medford seems to be a pit bull. I think that says something. Pit bulls can be incredible sweethearts. Gentle, goofy, affectionate. But you have to wonder why so many pits in the lowest income part of town, the side with the most gang activities, also has the most pitbulls. When I go to the dog park I don't see too many pits. Lots of purebreds and poodles and doodles and toys. Not so many pits. So, it stands as a possible reason that the owners of the majority of pits belong to a certain demographic that is, perhaps encouraging aggressive behaviors. I think if the City Council wants to consider this ban, it might also be helpful in creating the big picture in where these dogs were, and where their owners lived and what their records or lifestyles are. That sounds terrible, coming from me, but I'm guessing there is a degree of truth to it.
Pits and rots have a stigma attached to them as killer guard dogs. They are portrayed in the media and video games a vicious killers. Certain people use them like others do with CCW.

I'm of the opinion that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.
(01-09-2014, 10:42 AM)Prospector Wrote: Pits and rots have a stigma attached to them as killer guard dogs. They are portrayed in the media and video games a vicious killers. Certain people use them like others do with CCW.

I'm of the opinion that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

That's an easy catch phrase to use, but there most certainly can be bad dogs. Owners play an important role of course, but the best owner in the world could still end up with a dog that attacks someone or something.
(01-09-2014, 10:23 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 09:43 AM)Prospector Wrote: Interesting. I have never own the breed but have friends that own two and both are sweethearts. One is a blood donor for a vet office. I know that some breeds are banned from dog parks in some States (pits, rots,)

Nearly every dog in West Medford seems to be a pit bull. I think that says something. Pit bulls can be incredible sweethearts. Gentle, goofy, affectionate. But you have to wonder why so many pits in the lowest income part of town, the side with the most gang activities, also has the most pitbulls. When I go to the dog park I don't see too many pits. Lots of purebreds and poodles and doodles and toys. Not so many pits. So, it stands as a possible reason that the owners of the majority of pits belong to a certain demographic that is, perhaps encouraging aggressive behaviors. I think if the City Council wants to consider this ban, it might also be helpful in creating the big picture in where these dogs were, and where their owners lived and what their records or lifestyles are. That sounds terrible, coming from me, but I'm guessing there is a degree of truth to it.

I see the same thing wherever I go. Tough guys need tough dogs.

Pit bulls are the most common breed found in animal control shelters. So when the tough guy gets kicked out of his house or apartment for beating up his girlfriend or not paying the rent the dog goes to the pound. Tough guys tend to be irresponsible punks when it comes do to it.

I have a Cane Corso. She's a strong/big breed, so when she was young, I spent a lot of time socializing her at a dog park. There were several "regular" pits that were sweet and goofy and definitely "pets". Then, once in awhile, in would come a (usually young) person with a un-neutered pit on a heavy leash with nasty looking collars, and everyone knew that trouble was afoot.
So, I agree with what you and Prospector say. A lot does have to do with who raises the dog and how it's raised. And, still, pits have been bred to fight, so if there is an altercation, they usually do the most damage. It's sad what people do to such a lovely animal as our friend.....the dog.
(01-09-2014, 11:13 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

I see the same thing wherever I go. Tough guys need tough dogs.

Pit bulls are the most common breed found in animal control shelters. So when the tough guy gets kicked out of his house or apartment for beating up his girlfriend or not paying the rent the dog goes to the pound. Tough guys tend to be irresponsible punks when it comes do to it.
Absolutely! I guess it's easy to give up your dog if it's only there to make you look tough. I would NEVER give up my dog. She's my baby.
I hate pit bulls. They are the only breed of dog I know of that will attack and maul children, old people or small non aggressive dogs.
Every dog I've ever owned seemed to know when they were dominant and they didn't need to attack some non threatening person or animal to prove it.

I could care less if some are sweethearts. I do care about the ones who are not. There are too many problems, the evidence is there.

I get sick of people saying it's all the owners fault. That's probably true most of the time but not always. It's an excuse. All anyone has to do is look at the evidence. They are too aggressive and too often seem to have no limits to the damage they will do.
But so what if it's true that it is these owners fault? The damage being done by these animals is still being done.
(01-09-2014, 12:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: I hate BLACKS. They are the only breed of HUMAN I know of that will attack and maul children, old people FOR DRUG MONEY.

I could care less if some are sweethearts. I do care about the ones who are not. There are too many problems, the evidence is there.

I get sick of people saying it's all SOCIETY'S fault. That's probably true most of the time but not always. It's an excuse. All anyone has to do is look at the evidence. They are too aggressive and too often seem to have no limits to the damage they will do.

But so what if it's true that it is SOCIETY'S fault? The damage being done by these BLACKS is still being done.

Fixed that for you.
(01-09-2014, 12:39 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 12:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: I hate BLACKS. They are the only breed of HUMAN I know of that will attack and maul children, old people FOR DRUG MONEY.

I get sick of people saying it's all SOCIETY'S fault. That's probably true most of the time but not always. It's an excuse. All anyone has to do is look at the evidence. They are too aggressive and too often seem to have no limits to the damage they will do.

But so what if it's true that it is SOCIETY'S fault? The damage being done by these BLACKS is still being done.

Fixed that for you.

I guess for some you could substitute any word behind "I hate ___!" to suit their argument?
(01-09-2014, 12:50 PM)Prospector Wrote:

Fixed that for you.

I guess for some you could substitute any word behind "I hate ___!" to suit their argument?

The similarity between TV's argument that pitbulls are dangerous and that blacks are criminals seemed too close to pass up.

Fixed that for you.

Wow Rowan it's too bad you are sick, confined to your apt and probably on drugs a but you need to reel in that hatred toward me and knock of this ignorant trolling stuff.

I have never said any such things about black people.
(01-09-2014, 01:00 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 12:50 PM)Prospector Wrote:

Fixed that for you.

The similarity between TV's argument that pitbulls are dangerous and that blacks are criminals seemed too close to pass up.

Too close to pass for a lying troll with a personal problem.
No, you would NEVER take a comment I made about how increased population increases per capita crime, quote it, and change the quote to read that increased BLACK population increases per capita crime...
(01-09-2014, 01:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Fixed that for you.

Wow Rowan it's too bad you are sick, confined to your apt and probably on drugs a but you need to reel in that hatred toward me and knock of this ignorant trolling stuff.

Take it easy on him TV, he just gets cranky when his GBS acts up.

Fixed that for you.

It's a close enough parody of the things you have said though.
(01-09-2014, 01:13 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

Fixed that for you.

It's a close enough parody of the things you have said though.

Of course it is to you.

I changed ONE single word in a sentence Rowan said and that didn't accuse Rowan of anything.
It didn't even change the meaning of what he said.
He changed or added SEVERAL word in a paragraph that COMPLETELY altered what I said just so he could call me a racist.
You changed what I said in such a way that it meant something completely different. You took my point and changed it to make a very different point that was not mine, by adding a word.

I took what you said about pitbulls, and I altered only the necessary words to reflect more or less what you have said about black people, while retaining as much as I could of your own words. Aside from the "I hate" part, which you've never explicitly stated, you really shouldn't object to anything in there. You've said it all, in similar words, all over this forum. And if you hate pitbulls for it, one can assume that, since you believe the same things about blacks, that you hate blacks too.