"Lone Survivor" The Movie
(01-26-2014, 07:28 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 06:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 06:14 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 05:54 PM)tvguy Wrote: Book? Someone wrote a book?

You have no idea how NOT funny that is!

Womens in the bars say that same thing about my unsucksesspool pick up lines.

You are so good at this ….hillbilly (?) thing you do.
But I know you, if casually, have broken bread with you, and you don't fool me a bit.
But it's funny, and if it pleases you to carry on with it as I'm sure you will.
Except for your OVERWHELMING need to argue with Ponder (and others) you are a stand-up guy with many skills and an eclectic knowledge.
So, fight with you I will, if I must. But don't think for a moment I'm buying your Shuck and Jive routine, or whatever you call it.

It's ELECTRIC knowledge.
(01-26-2014, 07:37 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

But I know you, if casually, have broken bread with you, and you don't fool me a bit.
Except for your OVERWHELMING need to argue with Ponder (and others) you are a stand-up guy with many skills and an eclectic knowledge.
So, fight with you I will, if I must. But don't think for a moment I'm buying your Shuck and Jive routine, or whatever you call it.

It's ELECTRIC knowledge.

Yup Wnky dont spell so goodRazz
(01-26-2014, 07:37 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

It's ELECTRIC knowledge.

Laughing That too.
http://www.vocativ.com/world/afghanistan...h-taliban/

Interesting article on this.

The events that brought these two men together occurred nearly a decade ago. In June 2005, Gulab stumbled upon a stranger at a waterfall near his home in the mountains of Kunar province in northeastern Afghanistan. The man—Luttrell—was the only survivor of a four-man recon team that Taliban fighters had ambushed. He’d been shot twice and was bleeding profusely, his back was broken and he had shrapnel wounds in both of his legs.
A scene of Lone Survivor with Matt Damon (Marcus Luttrell) and Ali Suliman (Muhammad Gulab)

Blockbuster: A scene from the movie Lone Survivor, which starred Wahlberg, left, as Luttrell and Ali Suliman, center, as Gulab.
Furia Films

Gulab immediately knew that the man was American—and that the Taliban were after him. Nevertheless, he took Luttrell into his home and protected him. He considered it his sacred duty under the tribal code of honor known as Pashtunwali, which mandates Pashtuns should protect anyone in need. When the insurgents came to demand that he hand over Luttrell, Gulab refused. The Taliban persisted, alternating between promises of money and threats to murder him and the rest of the village. None of it changed Gulab’s mind. He and his neighbors remained steadfast.

Without phones or radios, the villagers sent a man on foot across the mountains to carry a message to the nearest American base. Several days passed before the helicopters appeared. And as the Americans airlifted Luttrell out of the village, Gulab left, too. Fearing a Taliban reprisal, he and his family relocated to a house in Asadabad, the capital of Kunar province. To support his family, Gulab took a job doing odd tasks at the nearby U.S. military base.

And then, crazy as it sounds, the Americans detained the man who risked his life to save Luttrell. The reason: misplaced suspicions that he had collaborated with the enemy. U.S. officials soon realized their mistake and set him free. He was still barred from the base, but the paychecks continued. “There’s no use complaining,” Gulab says. “The Army mindset is the Army mindset.”
(Left To Right) Gunner’s Mate Second Class Danny P. Dietz, 25, from Aurora, Colo, Lt. Michael P. Murphy, from Patchogue, N.Y. and Sonar Technician Second Class Matthew G. Axelson, 29, from Cupertino, Calif., killed by enemy forces during a reconnaissance mission June 28, 2005.

The departed: From left, Navy SEALs Danny Dietz, Michael Murphy and Matthew Axelson all perished during the mission that brought Luttrell and Gulab together.
U.S. Navy

The paychecks eventually stopped, but the Taliban’s threats didn’t. Five years ago, an unidentified gunman shot Gulab just outside his house. He suffered only a flesh wound on his leg, but the shooting was a painful reminder that he was a marked man. “I put my life, my family’s life and the lives of my tribesmen at risk,” he says.

Years passed with little contact between Gulab and Luttrell, according to the Afghan. In 2007, with the help of the British thriller writer Patrick Robinson, the Navy Cross recipient ­­­­­­­­­­­­­penned a book about his ordeal, also called Lone Survivor, which became a New York Times bestseller.