Jackson county code enforcement creates homeless
Lets see here . It's OK to live permanently in an RV park even though you live in something too dangerous for a permanent dwelling because it's zoned for that.Blink
But not OK for a home owner to live in his own RV while he builds a house Rolling Eyes
I don't think it's OK to live permanently in an RV park, at least by todays zoning rules. This might be a rule that's ignored, and maybe it's grandfathered in in some places, I'd have to check to be sure (and, that stuff doesn't make for light reading material).

I'm pretty sure it is OK for a homeowner to live in his own RV while he builds a house, but there's a time limit - maybe 6 months? Again, this takes some fine tooth reading. All of Jackson County's zoning and building rules are online, but be warned, for complex things you end up jumping from document to document, and it practically takes lawyer-like understanding.
Quote:
(01-13-2014, 12:32 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't think it's OK to live permanently in an RV park, at least by todays zoning rules. This might be a rule that's ignored, and maybe it's grandfathered in in some places, I'd have to check to be sure (and, that stuff doesn't make for light reading material).

Before I said that I called and asked if I could stay at an RV park permanently and the person said yes. The one in Phoenix by Bear creek.

Quote:I'm pretty sure it is OK for a homeowner to live in his own RV while he builds a house, but there's a time limit - maybe 6 months? Again, this takes some fine tooth reading. All of Jackson County's zoning and building rules are online, but be warned, for complex things you end up jumping from document to document, and it practically takes lawyer-like understanding.

I did some searching and found a lot of people saying you could NOT legally live in an RV while you build a house. And so far no one saying you can.
I know it's done all the time anyway.
(01-13-2014, 11:52 AM)Scrapper Wrote: How did they find out about him living there? Some one must have reported it???

I live in a fairly nice area in the middle of our town (not uppity... but nice and clean) and there are 2 homes on our block that have RV's (one is a 5th wheel, the other a motor home) set up in their driveways (that are barely long enough to park the RV's without touching the sidewalk) with people living in them. I believe it's either adult children or friends of the home owners. I know people are living in them, I walk past daily to get to the mailbox. But no one seems to care. They aren't noisy and they don't make a mess. I've also noticed that they disappear for a few hours every now and then... I assume it's to dump. They've been here longer than we have. I guess no one has reported it, because no one cares.

Yes this guy ended up getting discovered because code enforcement was notified by vector control. There are tires on the property.
(01-13-2014, 12:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: I did some searching and found a lot of people saying you could NOT legally live in an RV while you build a house. And so far no one saying you can.

If you're talking Jackson County (not the cities, they have their own codes), here's one that says you can:

"The Planning Department Staff may issue permits for power poles in designated
recreational areas and for temporary recreational vehicles on individual lots,
provided the building permits have been issued on the specific lot." http://www.co.jackson.ms.us/img/planning...inance.PDF

Also mentioned is this description of an RV park:

"RECREATIONAL VEHICLE (RV) PARK: Any parcel of land upon which recreational vehicle
sites are located, established, or maintained for temporary occupancy by recreational vehicles
of the general public as temporary living quarters for recreation or vacation purposes."

Note "temporary" is always the key word here. Not permanent.
(01-13-2014, 01:03 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 12:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: I did some searching and found a lot of people saying you could NOT legally live in an RV while you build a house. And so far no one saying you can.

If you're talking Jackson County (not the cities, they have their own codes), here's one that says you can:

provided the building permits have been issued on the specific lot." http://www.co.jackson.ms.us/img/planning...inance.PDF

"RECREATIONAL VEHICLE (RV) PARK: Any parcel of land upon which recreational vehicle
sites are located, established, or maintained for temporary occupancy by recreational vehicles
of the general public as temporary living quarters for recreation or vacation purposes.

OK, Thanks but the info you put in bold is from a link to Jackson County MississippiLaughing

But even so It would seem like the same rule might apply here also.
(01-13-2014, 12:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:52 AM)Scrapper Wrote: How did they find out about him living there? Some one must have reported it???

Yes this guy ended up getting discovered because code enforcement was notified by vector control. There are tires on the property.

Well, there you go. If you're going to violate the law you can't create an eyesore that pisses off the neighbors. He violated a basic tenet here. Smiling
(01-13-2014, 01:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 01:03 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

of the general public as temporary living quarters for recreation or vacation purposes.

OK, Thanks but the info you put in bold is from a link to Jackson County MississippiLaughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's pretty funny, I put "Oregon" in as one of the search words. Laughing All of this shit reads the same after awhile. Laughing Laughing Laughing
(01-13-2014, 01:09 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 12:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well, there you go. If you're going to violate the law you can't create an eyesore that pisses off the neighbors. He violated a basic tenet here. Smiling

This guy just lives on the property. The tires have been there for years. The owners of the property violated all kinds of laws. It was a full fledged junk yard at one time.
They will be removing the tires sooner or later.
OK, here's a potential out for your friend, if he has a physical or mental impairment that 2 doctors will certify to, for a non renewable one year period (and then he'd have to get a real mobile home and renew it annually). It takes some fine reading, and I won't bore the whole forum with the details: http://www.co.jackson.or.us/files/chapter_280.pdf
(01-13-2014, 01:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: This guy just lives on the property. The tires have been there for years. The owners of the property violated all kinds of laws. It was a full fledged junk yard at one time.

The owners name isn't Walker by any chance is it?
(01-13-2014, 01:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote: OK, here's a potential out for your friend, if he has a physical or mental impairment that 2 doctors will certify to, for a non renewable one year period (and then he'd have to get a real mobile home and renew it annually). It takes some fine reading, and I won't bore the whole forum with the details: http://www.co.jackson.or.us/files/chapter_280.pdf

He has no mental or physical impairments and he is flat broke so he couldn't get a mobile home or pay for hook ups or any of that.
(01-13-2014, 01:24 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 01:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: This guy just lives on the property. The tires have been there for years. The owners of the property violated all kinds of laws. It was a full fledged junk yard at one time.

The owners name isn't Walker by any chance is it?

No But I think I know who you are talking about.
(01-13-2014, 02:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 01:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote: OK, here's a potential out for your friend, if he has a physical or mental impairment that 2 doctors will certify to, for a non renewable one year period (and then he'd have to get a real mobile home and renew it annually). It takes some fine reading, and I won't bore the whole forum with the details: http://www.co.jackson.or.us/files/chapter_280.pdf

He has no mental or physical impairments and he is flat broke so he couldn't get a mobile home or pay for hook ups or any of that.

Since he has no impairments maybe he can land a gig as a park/camp host. With most of those deals I think you get a free site with hookups.
(01-13-2014, 02:20 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 02:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Since he has no impairments maybe he can land a gig as a park/camp host. With most of those deals I think you get a free site with hookups.

Not a bad idea, thanks .I have a friend who does that. He and his wife. I bet the parks have restrictions on how old( and ugly your RV is. And I think there are waiting lists, not sure.
(01-13-2014, 12:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:52 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:44 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:34 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:28 AM)GPnative Wrote: Can he pull the wheels off, add some cheap skirting (to the travel trailer, not himself) and call it a mobile home?
No, there's regulations stating the minimum size for a dwelling too - I think it varies by jurisdiction, but something like 450 square feet sticks in my mind.

Just as another example of why RV's don't qualify is, they're not built to house codes in any way, and I recently was studying egress windows (windows for you to escape from in a fire, but almost more importantly, windows big enough a firefighter with air tank can fit through, and every sleeping area is required to have one). They're required to have at least a 5.7 square feet openable area, with minimum heights and widths too. How many RV's qualify on that alone?

Yeah I read somewhere that the smallest legal home you can build is a 600 sq ft cabin.

But as far as Proper size windows being an issue in an RV. Why is it not an issue at RV parks?

That's the zoning issue. Only certain areas are zoned to allow RV parks, and in at least some of those you're not allowed to stay more than a certain amount of time - in other words, it's considered temporary living. I guess they're willing to let you risk your own life for a temporary amount of time, but not forever.

There are parks I've been in where people have lived in the same RV for many years.

I think it has to do with having approved access to sewer and sewage. I think that's what it comes down to, not home size, not windows. It's about sanitation. (I think)
I was looking into the requirements for an RV park, and the sewage is relatively easy. That little grassy strip between each trailer becomes your septic drainfield, so in effect the whole park becomes a giant drainfield. I don't know who figured that one out.
(01-13-2014, 08:25 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:44 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:34 AM)PonderThis Wrote: No, there's regulations stating the minimum size for a dwelling too - I think it varies by jurisdiction, but something like 450 square feet sticks in my mind.

Just as another example of why RV's don't qualify is, they're not built to house codes in any way, and I recently was studying egress windows (windows for you to escape from in a fire, but almost more importantly, windows big enough a firefighter with air tank can fit through, and every sleeping area is required to have one). They're required to have at least a 5.7 square feet openable area, with minimum heights and widths too. How many RV's qualify on that alone?

Yeah I read somewhere that the smallest legal home you can build is a 600 sq ft cabin.

But as far as Proper size windows being an issue in an RV. Why is it not an issue at RV parks?

That's the zoning issue. Only certain areas are zoned to allow RV parks, and in at least some of those you're not allowed to stay more than a certain amount of time - in other words, it's considered temporary living. I guess they're willing to let you risk your own life for a temporary amount of time, but not forever.

There are parks I've been in where people have lived in the same RV for many years.

I think it has to do with having approved access to sewer and sewage. I think that's what it comes down to, not home size, not windows. It's about sanitation. (I think)

I don't think so. Not after looking in to this today. I think it's about nothing other than zoning. The RV I'm talking about is connected to the sewer, Bear creek sanitation or whatever it's called.

I have another friend who rents a space right on the river, Year round. His motor home and all the other RVers where he lives have in ground septic tanks. But these tanks do NOT leach out in to a drain field. Every thing that goes in to the tank has to be pumped out and hauled off.
(01-13-2014, 08:28 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I was looking into the requirements for an RV park, and the sewage is relatively easy. That little grassy strip between each trailer becomes your septic drainfield, so in effect the whole park becomes a giant drainfield. I don't know who figured that one out.

I guess you're joking? Or maybe that's something that was allowed at one time?
(01-13-2014, 09:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 08:25 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 11:44 AM)tvguy Wrote: Yeah I read somewhere that the smallest legal home you can build is a 600 sq ft cabin.

I don't think so. Not after looking in to this today. I think it's about nothing other than zoning. The RV I'm talking about is connected to the sewer, Bear creek sanitation or whatever it's called.

I have another friend who rents a space right on the river, Year round. His motor home and all the other RVers where he lives have in ground septic tanks. But these tanks do NOT leach out in to a drain field. Every thing that goes in to the tank has to be pumped out and hauled off.

And what is it that the County/City gets in the end by enforcing zoning laws? Is it, as most things are, rooted in $$$?