Mark Siegelman's Letter to the Editor
(01-13-2014, 05:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Yes, someone stole a copyrighten story from the Grants Pass Courier and posted it here, I don't think we're supposed to do that.

But it happens all the time and now you just mentioned it because it was prospector
(01-13-2014, 05:40 PM)Prospector Wrote: Here's the counter opinion

Quote:Marijuana use leads to numerous adverse effects (Guest Opinion)

By Ron Goodpasture for the Daily Courier

Medical marijuana activists and most of the media seem to be of the opinion that marijuana legalization in Oregon is all but a done deal, and that everyone should therefore just give up and let it happen.

The newspapers are rife with stories about the pervasive advancement of marijuana into our society. The marijuana advocates seem to have the momentum, and are doing all they can to desensitize the public to this issue much like the common analogy of boiling frogs.

Since medical marijuana was first legalized in 1998, Oregon voters have defeated all three of the subsequent pro-marijuana ballot measures that have been put before them. Yet legalization has been marching forward, via legislative action, due to intense lobbying by well-organized and financed pro-marijuana groups, such as New Approach Oregon.

Jeff Mapes, a reporter with the Oregonian newspaper, reports, "The Drug Policy Alliance, which is tied to billionaire currency trader George Soros, last month gave $50,000 to New Approach. Peter Lewis, the chairman of Progressive Insurance Company, gave $32,000 earlier this month." (www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2013/10/with_national_backing_marijuan.html) Ponder that!

Like other current issues in the nation, the will of the people is being subverted by our elected lawmakers succumbing to lobbyists with big out-of-state money. In other words, since the pro-marijuana people haven't been able to achieve their purposes by a vote, they are going against the will of the people and getting it done by legislative action.

People who have a valid medical need for marijuana should have it, but not in the disorganized and shameful way it is currently being made available. We do not allow heroin addicts to grow their own poppies; why should it be different for medical marijuana users? We have a clean and safe method of dispensing other dangerous drugs, so why not use the same system for dispensing marijuana? The marijuana people have made a sham out of the medical marijuana law. What we now have is an unmitigated, embarrassing mess, and yet another expensive bureaucracy to administer it.

Thirty-four years of service in law enforcement, observing the issues from a professional perspective, has provided me with some insights into the marijuana problem. Because they are not likely to change, habitual marijuana users are not the issue here.

The real issue is much more important and involves the treasure of our nation: our youth. Authoritative documentation of the exceptional physiological susceptibility of youth to cannabis (marijuana) is available in the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders," known as the DSM. Published by the American Psychiatric Association, the DSM classifies mental disorders according to symptoms and is the standard used by the legal and medical professions. Here is a quote from the American Psychiatric Association website: "Marijuana is the most widespread and frequently used illicit drug and is associated with:
• Short-term memory loss

• Accelerated heartbeat

• Increased blood pressure

• Difficulty with concentrating and processing information

• Lapses in judgment

• Problems with perception and motor skills

• Years of marijuana use can lead to a loss of ambition and an inability to carry out long-term plans or to function effectively."

We cannot legalize marijuana and escape the natural consequences that will follow. One of these is increased availability of other dangerous drugs. Because of Oregon's favorable climate for marijuana growing, legalization will probably create a tolerance for growing large quantities for shipment elsewhere. This will attract criminal types and of course law enforcement issues will ensue. Watch Colorado and Washington; see if their lot is improved by marijuana.

Another consequence will be increased frequency of intoxication. Our culture has crusaded against drunk driving. Why would we regress by legalizing another intoxicant? Marijuana users know that detection of marijuana intoxication in DUII enforcement is difficult.

Many of the poor are so because of their addictions. The newspapers document well the problems of the "homeless" becoming more prevalent, demanding and militant in our city.

It is well established that some of these people suffer from various mental disorders, and some are addicts who prowl the streets on the hunt for marijuana. Communities tolerant of marijuana will likely experience more crime, bars, tattoo parlors, and gambling.

The morality of our nation will be adversely affected by legalization. Legalization will certainly contribute to the decline of rugged individualism and the freedom to prosper that has made America great. It is my belief that we should seek after things that are virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy. Marijuana is not among them.

I close with a quote from a higher authority. Isaiah 5:20: "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter."

———

Ron Goodpasture is a retired sergeant from the Josephine County Sheriff's Office.

If you delete one of the double posts. I find the one that's not in purple easier to readSmiling
(01-13-2014, 05:37 PM)Prospector Wrote: I paid the 99 cents.

Quote:Legalization would provide big boost to our economy (Guest Opinion)

By Mark Seligman for the Daily Courier

On Nov. 24, my significant other and myself attempted to fight a house fire that destroyed our home in Selma. They lady involved was severely burned over 15 percent of her body and was airlifted to the Oregon Burn Center in Portland, where she spent one month. It was a time of great anguish for me. Hours spent thinking of my loved one and what is important to me.

Having been involved in the politics of Josephine County for years, I wanted to find an answer to contribute to the improvement of our economy and spiritual well-being. I am tired of constantly fighting a county government that attempts to tax its citizens despite numerous "no" votes. I am tired of attempts to pass ordinances that violate property rights and civil liberties. We cannot be "taxed into prosperity." However we need to be prosperous and we are far from it. We live amongst scenic splendor; tourists flock here. Many citizens just get by financially and are near the poverty level. We are not vibrant with new ideas to attract new and younger people for our future. The lack of income contributes to family dysfunction, loss of morals and the eventual crime. This is very sad and our children must move away to find employment.

Our county commissioners, past and present, relied on logging to fund county services. In the logging heyday there was no rainy day fund. Extreme environmentalists continue to stand in the way of future logging revenue. This was the life blood of our county. Unfortunately it is now gone. County commissioners promised to bring jobs here, which proved to be an "empty promise."

The last few weeks I realized I want a vibrancy, a prosperity in Grants Pass and our county. I want an influx of ideas to fund real growth.

One potential solution is very clear: Marijuana will be legal nationwide very soon. We live in an area that grows the best marijuana in the nation. Should we not, as a county, take advantage of that? County commissioners need to be ready to lease out substantial unused acreage to large-scale marijuana growers and corporations and receive 20 percent of gross proceeds. This could amount to $10 million to the county or more. This will be a billion-dollar business nationwide when it becomes a legal industry. Demand will outstrip supply. We need to embark on a feasibility study so we may be ready for the inevitable legalization. We cannot wait and let this golden opportunity go by.

We need to advertise our county as the place to be for a legal marijuana industry. Currently we cannot afford basic services like law enforcement. We have little chance of attracting new businesses in the current economic mode.

The many overqualified, able-bodied citizens here without work need help now. Social services are stretched to the limit.

The battle goes on. Government needs revenue and citizens say "no." Will this ever end? The inevitable legalization will not only bring revenue, it will bring hundreds of jobs here. The resulting revenue to the county (from leasing, etc.) will replace the need for a property tax levy. Furthermore, the county will attract people with funding to start marijuana and non-marijuana businesses, much like northern California towns once reliant on logging like us.
Colorado marijuana retail outlets in their first week of legalization are running out of supply. As our county and city get a reputation for being an advocate for a billion-dollar nationwide business, money will flood in here much like the wine country of Sonoma and Napa valleys, employing those who need jobs. This is our chance; failure to act decisively would be an opportunity blown.

Of course the skeptics will speak of "moral decay." We suffer from another "decay" now, a spiritual malaise of no hope. Skeptics continue to be in the antiquated "Reefer Madness" mentality with all the scare tactics. Alcohol and tobacco are legal. The same safeguards and restrictions would apply toward marijuana. Marijuana does not contribute to crime, yet law enforcement has imprisoned many for as little as a "joint." More serious crimes go on nevertheless.

Marijuana has many medical benefits helping in AIDS, glaucoma, cancer and post-traumatic stress disorders. It can act as a substitute for dangerous drugs like oxycontin. It aids in anxiety and depression. Do the skeptics look at that?

Finally, please join me in support of a feasibility study whereby Josephine County leases its land for legal growing and an improved economy.

———

Local activist Mark Seligman has twice run unsuccessfully for a seat on the Josephine Board of County Commissioners.

This could amount to $10 million to the county or more. This will be a billion-dollar business nationwide when it becomes a legal industry. Demand will outstrip supply.

Demand will outstrip supply? Blink Kind of like with booze now?

Some people forget this stuff grows like a weed.
(01-13-2014, 06:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 05:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Yes, someone stole a copyrighten story from the Grants Pass Courier and posted it here, I don't think we're supposed to do that.

But it happens all the time and now you just mentioned it because it was prospector

No, I mention it because the Courier charges for access to their web site, versus free web sites, and also because it seems in the back of my mind that the Courier specifically put pressure on the Grants Pass forum over this issue, as they seem to value their web content.
(01-13-2014, 05:39 PM)Prospector Wrote: Here's the counter opinion

Quote:Marijuana use leads to numerous adverse effects (Guest Opinion)

By Ron Goodpasture for the Daily Courier
Medical marijuana activists and most of the media seem to be of the opinion that marijuana legalization in Oregon is all but a done deal, and that everyone should therefore just give up and let it happen.

The newspapers are rife with stories about the pervasive advancement of marijuana into our society. The marijuana advocates seem to have the momentum, and are doing all they can to desensitize the public to this issue much like the common analogy of boiling frogs.

Since medical marijuana was first legalized in 1998, Oregon voters have defeated all three of the subsequent pro-marijuana ballot measures that have been put before them. Yet legalization has been marching forward, via legislative action, due to intense lobbying by well-organized and financed pro-marijuana groups, such as New Approach Oregon.

Jeff Mapes, a reporter with the Oregonian newspaper, reports, "The Drug Policy Alliance, which is tied to billionaire currency trader George Soros, last month gave $50,000 to New Approach. Peter Lewis, the chairman of Progressive Insurance Company, gave $32,000 earlier this month." (www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2013/10/with_national_backing_marijuan.html) Ponder that!

Like other current issues in the nation, the will of the people is being subverted by our elected lawmakers succumbing to lobbyists with big out-of-state money. In other words, since the pro-marijuana people haven't been able to achieve their purposes by a vote, they are going against the will of the people and getting it done by legislative action.

People who have a valid medical need for marijuana should have it, but not in the disorganized and shameful way it is currently being made available. We do not allow heroin addicts to grow their own poppies; why should it be different for medical marijuana users? We have a clean and safe method of dispensing other dangerous drugs, so why not use the same system for dispensing marijuana? The marijuana people have made a sham out of the medical marijuana law. What we now have is an unmitigated, embarrassing mess, and yet another expensive bureaucracy to administer it.

Thirty-four years of service in law enforcement, observing the issues from a professional perspective, has provided me with some insights into the marijuana problem. Because they are not likely to change, habitual marijuana users are not the issue here.

The real issue is much more important and involves the treasure of our nation: our youth. Authoritative documentation of the exceptional physiological susceptibility of youth to cannabis (marijuana) is available in the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders," known as the DSM. Published by the American Psychiatric Association, the DSM classifies mental disorders according to symptoms and is the standard used by the legal and medical professions. Here is a quote from the American Psychiatric Association website: "Marijuana is the most widespread and frequently used illicit drug and is associated with:
• Short-term memory loss

• Accelerated heartbeat

• Increased blood pressure

• Difficulty with concentrating and processing information

• Lapses in judgment

• Problems with perception and motor skills

• Years of marijuana use can lead to a loss of ambition and an inability to carry out long-term plans or to function effectively."

We cannot legalize marijuana and escape the natural consequences that will follow. One of these is increased availability of other dangerous drugs. Because of Oregon's favorable climate for marijuana growing, legalization will probably create a tolerance for growing large quantities for shipment elsewhere. This will attract criminal types and of course law enforcement issues will ensue. Watch Colorado and Washington; see if their lot is improved by marijuana.

Another consequence will be increased frequency of intoxication. Our culture has crusaded against drunk driving. Why would we regress by legalizing another intoxicant? Marijuana users know that detection of marijuana intoxication in DUII enforcement is difficult.

Many of the poor are so because of their addictions. The newspapers document well the problems of the "homeless" becoming more prevalent, demanding and militant in our city.

It is well established that some of these people suffer from various mental disorders, and some are addicts who prowl the streets on the hunt for marijuana. Communities tolerant of marijuana will likely experience more crime, bars, tattoo parlors, and gambling.

The morality of our nation will be adversely affected by legalization. Legalization will certainly contribute to the decline of rugged individualism and the freedom to prosper that has made America great. It is my belief that we should seek after things that are virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy. Marijuana is not among them.

I close with a quote from a higher authority. Isaiah 5:20: "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter."

———

Ron Goodpasture is a retired sergeant from the Josephine County Sheriff's Office.

Sorry for Ron that he can't see the writing on the wall. This statement sounds like something from 1930.

People who have a valid medical need for marijuana should have it, but not in the disorganized and shameful way it is currently being made available. We do not allow heroin addicts to grow their own poppies; why should it be different for medical marijuana users?

A better question is why shouldn't we let people grow pot? Who in their right mind compares heroin to marijuana? Or as "addict" to a marijuana user?

Someone remind me I forget, when was the last time anyone overdosed on pot or took it intravenously? This guy should be put out to some goodpasture somewhere.
(01-13-2014, 06:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

No, I mention it because the Courier charges for access to their web site, versus free web sites, and also because it seems in the back of my mind that the Courier specifically put pressure on the Grants Pass forum specifically over this issue, as they seem to value their web content.

Well if the courier finds out they can talk to kam and he can talk to us. Meanwhile it's not an issue and it's not the first time something from the courier was posted here .

BTY Thanks Prospector for paying a buck so we could see what Mark wrote.Smiling
(01-13-2014, 06:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 06:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

No, I mention it because the Courier charges for access to their web site, versus free web sites, and also because it seems in the back of my mind that the Courier specifically put pressure on the Grants Pass forum specifically over this issue, as they seem to value their web content.

Well if the courier finds out they can talk to kam and he can talk to us. Meanwhile it's not an issue and it's not the first time something from the courier was posted here .

BTY Thanks Prospector for paying a buck so we could see what Mark wrote.Smiling

Your welcome. I've asked the administrator if this was an issue before...got no answer, the post wasn't pulled, properly quoted, and attributed to the source.

I wanted both points of view to be displayed. Is MJ the answer? That's for the voters to decide just like Colorado.

I still think of Hemp as a crop considering what it cost me for a Hemp rope years ago and I keep seeing the demand for hemp clothing and other items.

But it'll come down to the voters.
I understand that it is up to the author to authorise a reprint of his guest opinion or letter to the editor. The Courier has nothing to do with it unless it is a story or opinion piece written by the Courier staff. And I am sure Mr. Seligman would not disapprove of forwarding this.
(01-13-2014, 06:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: BTY Thanks Prospector for paying a buck so we could see what Mark wrote.Smiling

That there is funny! You KNOW Mark isn't capable of such coherent thought.
(01-13-2014, 04:35 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Did anyone read yesterdays Grants Pass Courier? Mark wrote a rather articulate letter concerning legalizing marijuana. If you ignore all the anti tax crap in the letter, it was well written. I am not paying $.99 to be able to post the opinion piece here, but it is worth a read. Anyone that subscribes to the e-edition of the courier might want to post it.

Sorry... but Seligman doesn't "write" anything articulately. Rolling Eyes
Ron Goodpasture, Did he run for sheriff? I remember seeing campaign signs a few years back with Goodpasture's name on it. Might have been for commissioner. Anyway, I would buy weed from a farmer named Goodpasture. Seems so natural.
Ya'll know the old saying... once and idiot... always an.......
(01-13-2014, 08:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-13-2014, 06:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: BTY Thanks Prospector for paying a buck so we could see what Mark wrote.Smiling

That there is funny! You KNOW Mark isn't capable of such coherent thought.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Yep!
Haters!
(01-14-2014, 09:39 AM)Scar Wrote: Haters!

Yup.

[Image: skull_on_rebel_flag_x.jpg]
(01-14-2014, 10:01 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 09:39 AM)Scar Wrote: Haters!

Yup.

[Image: skull_on_rebel_flag_x.jpg]

Nice. I had no idea you were from the south too.:-)
Mark's interests in the legalization of marijuana are three fold (IMO). 1) He grows the stuff and wants to grow more of it than he can currently for his card holders. 2) He smokes the stuff and wants to be able to have it on him without getting into trouble. 3) I believe that he sells the crop also.

Shocking I know that Seligman would be so self serving, but it is what it is. Oh, wait, he's thinking of the county and all of the tax revenue it will bring in.......
(01-14-2014, 10:23 AM)BeerMe Wrote: Mark's interests in the legalization of marijuana are three fold (IMO). 1) He grows the stuff and wants to grow more of it than he can currently for his card holders. 2) He smokes the stuff and wants to be able to have it on him without getting into trouble. 3) I believe that he sells the crop also.

Shocking I know that Seligman would be so self serving, but it is what it is. Oh, wait, he's thinking of the county and all of the tax revenue it will bring in.......

Interesting. I didn't know he was a legal medical grower? If he isn't, don't you think his opposition would be all over him to shut him down or use it as a political point?

I mean what better way to eliminate a thorn in your side?
What's wrong with being a legal medical grower?
(01-14-2014, 10:23 AM)BeerMe Wrote: Mark's interests in the legalization of marijuana are three fold (IMO). 1) He grows the stuff and wants to grow more of it than he can currently for his card holders. 2) He smokes the stuff and wants to be able to have it on him without getting into trouble. 3) I believe that he sells the crop also.

It seems to me 2 out of those three claims don't make sense. He grows the stuff and wants to grow more of it than he can currently for his card holders.

If it's legal there won't be any card holders

I believe that he sells the crop also.

If MJ is legalized there goes his profit