Duolingo. The possibilities.
The "New Technology" is so much more than Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, and watching "The Stones" on You Tube.

This link is a bit long. It's also a great insight into the wonders the Net provides should it turn in that direction.

If you have a few minutes. I look forward to comments.

http://www.ted.com/talks/luis_von_ahn_ma...ation.html
(01-19-2014, 11:11 AM)Wonky Wrote: The "New Technology" is so much more than Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, and watching "The Stones" on You Tube.

This link is a bit long. It's also a great insight into the wonders the Net provides should it turn in that direction.

I watched the entire video. I think Luis Von Ahn is a genius. The duolingo program he discussed gave me an idea. Perhaps I could take my iPad on vacation and use it to learn Spanish. Well, assuming that I could type what I want to say then translate my words into Spanish. I don't know that it is possible at this time, one of you internet smart folks might.
(01-19-2014, 11:48 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 11:11 AM)Wonky Wrote: The "New Technology" is so much more than Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, and watching "The Stones" on You Tube.

I watched the entire video. I think Luis Von Ahn is a genius. The duolingo program he discussed gave me an idea. Perhaps I could take my iPad on vacation and use it to learn Spanish. Well, assuming that I could type what I want to say then translate my words into Spanish. I don't know that it is possible at this time, one of you internet smart folks might.

There is a site called babblefish that translates language. I've been using for over 10 years.
(01-19-2014, 11:51 AM)tvguy Wrote:

There is a site called babblefish that translates language. I've been using for over 10 years.

Thanks. I have heard of that site. Did I mention that I'm going to Mexico? Big Grin
(01-19-2014, 11:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Thanks. I have heard of that site. Did I mention that I'm going to Mexico? Big Grin
I wish I new Spanish also but the truth is that if I REALLY wanted to learn I'm sure I could and the truth is I'm just lazy.
I spent 17+ years just this side of the border. I took Spanish in school for 6 years. Yet, I know muy poco español. Embarrassed Perhaps I should have paid better attention. I suppose it doesn't help that I haven't had an occasion to use Spanish in about 38 years. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick out a few words while I'm in Mexico. Did I mention that I'm going to Mexico? Razz
(01-19-2014, 12:14 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I spent 17+ years just this side of the border. I took Spanish in school for 6 years. Yet, I know muy poco español. Embarrassed Perhaps I should have paid better attention. I suppose it doesn't help that I haven't had an occasion to use Spanish in about 38 years. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick out a few words while I'm in Mexico. Did I mention that I'm going to Mexico? Razz

Well at least you tried, Scrappy. More than I did. (I'm still struggling with English).

However, the video posted was a bit more than just learning another language. It was (in part at least) how the Web could be translated into many, many languages without spending billions of dollars (money). And, using that technique, how information might be shared around the world in an entirely new way.
(01-19-2014, 12:14 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I spent 17+ years just this side of the border. I took Spanish in school for 6 years. Yet, I know muy poco español. Embarrassed Perhaps I should have paid better attention. I suppose it doesn't help that I haven't had an occasion to use Spanish in about 38 years. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick out a few words while I'm in Mexico. Did I mention that I'm going to Mexico? Razz

In a nut shell you use it or lose it. I think if you had actually needed to and used the Spanish you learned to communicate with non English speaking people. You would be fluent by now.
I must have had hundreds of occasions where I wished I knew Spanish since I moved to Oregon. I still do at least once or twice a month.
(01-19-2014, 12:30 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Well at least you tried, Scrappy. More than I did. (I'm still struggling with English).

However, the video posted was a bit more than just learning another language. It was (in part at least) how the Web could be translated into many, many languages without spending billions of dollars (money). And, using that technique, how information might be shared around the world in an entirely new way.

It's a cool idea Wonky. There have been a lot of times when I end up on a blog or even reading the comments on a Youtube video and suddenly realizing it was a foreign language.

I stopped using babblefish because it translated, but poorly. I need to be able translate quite often and babblefish seems to work better for very simple phrases. GoogleTranslate translates much better and I've had much better success with it. However, maybe Babblefish has improved? It's been years since I gave up on it.
(01-19-2014, 02:52 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I stopped using babblefish because it translated, but poorly. I need to be able translate quite often and babblefish seems to work better for very simple phrases. GoogleTranslate translates much better and I've had much better success with it. However, maybe Babblefish has improved? It's been years since I gave up on it.

Yeah, it never did a very good job. But usually it translated enough to get the idea about what was important.
"Google translate" eh? Thanks.
I use Google as well. It has served me well with my BFF who speaks Chinese and my daughter's father-in-law who speaks Italian.
(01-19-2014, 03:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yeah, it never did a very good job. But usually it translated enough to get the idea about what was important.

I think you can get the general idea across on Babblefish, but start getting in depth and it's completely unintelligible.
(01-19-2014, 03:22 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 03:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 11:48 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I watched the entire video. I think Luis Von Ahn is a genius. The duolingo program he discussed gave me an idea. Perhaps I could take my iPad on vacation and use it to learn Spanish. Well, assuming that I could type what I want to say then translate my words into Spanish. I don't know that it is possible at this time, one of you internet smart folks might.

I think you can get the general idea across on Babblefish, but start getting in depth and it's completely unintelligible.

Yep , that's exactly the same experience I've had entering blocks of text.
If I recall, you can click on the individual words in the translation in Google translate and see other possible translations. So you can try to make sense of it by picking the better sounding words until you get a coherent sentence.
(01-19-2014, 04:39 PM)csrowan Wrote: If I recall, you can click on the individual words in the translation in Google translate and see other possible translations. So you can try to make sense of it by picking the better sounding words until you get a coherent sentence.

And that's true of course.

But one can't compare Google Translate with Duolingo. I think one has to watch the video (or investigate text) to appreciate why.

Again, I posted the video not simply to show the ability of Duolingo to translate, but for the wider implications of it's potential to translate Web instructions and applicable meaning across the entire Web….connecting the world as never before.

I thought the central theme was when the presenter explained it required 10,000 people to accomplish major projects like the pyramids (and more than 10,000 were just in the way) but in this context millions of people can be involved in solving big problems. Revolutionary stuff!

PS: I also understand the reluctance to open and view long videos posted here. I wonder however about those who respond at length without bothering to have a look and learning the content.
(01-19-2014, 05:11 PM)Wonky Wrote: I wonder however about those who respond at length without bothering to have a look and learning the content.

I'm pretty sure Leonard would say the same thing. Smiling
(01-19-2014, 05:11 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 04:39 PM)csrowan Wrote: If I recall, you can click on the individual words in the translation in Google translate and see other possible translations. So you can try to make sense of it by picking the better sounding words until you get a coherent sentence.

But one can't compare Google Translate with Duolingo.

One isn't. One gets it. I thinks other ones did too. One seems really smart & stuff when one uses one a lot like this one just didRazz
(01-19-2014, 05:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 05:11 PM)Wonky Wrote:

But one can't compare Google Translate with Duolingo.

One isn't. One gets it. I thinks other ones did too. One seems really smart & stuff when one uses one a lot like this one just didRazz

Simple enough.
I won't bother posting this kind of thing again.
(01-19-2014, 05:16 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 05:11 PM)Wonky Wrote: I wonder however about those who respond at length without bothering to have a look and learning the content.

I'm pretty sure Leonard would say the same thing. Smiling

Ponder, I doubt your are pretty sure of anything.