Rogue, other Oregon rivers have heavy levels of mercury
Mercury used to be used by hat makers, with mercury poisoning being behind the term "crazier than a mad hatter". Are forum fishermen afflicted by this malady from eating local fish? You decide: Smiling http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/in..._have.html

[Image: 14135785-mmmain.jpg]
Tests show that mercury levels in the Rogue River (see here last summer) have reached toxic levels

Excerpt: "The Rogue and about a dozen other Oregon rivers are poised to join the state's growing list of mercury-impaired waters tapped for future cleanups and other efforts to reduce levels of this toxic pollutant.

The state Department of Environmental Quality has proposed adding the 216 miles of the Rogue River — including the main stem upstream of Lost Creek Lake, as well as Emigrant Creek — on the dubious list of water bodies with high levels of mercury in resident fish.

The findings also are expected to lead to public-health advisories limiting the amounts of resident fish people eat from Rogue Basin waters. But those won't include the Rogue's famed salmon and steelhead, which don't accumulate mercury in their bodies like other fish do, toxicologists say.

Tests on nonnative pikeminnow collected from the Rogue in 2010 near what used to be Gold Ray Dam and Robertson Bridge in Josephine County showed levels more than 10 times above the state's water-quality standards for toxic pollutants.

If adopted this year, the designation would lead DEQ scientists to determine what levels of mercury in the Rogue are safe and develop a plan to get them there — and address any natural or artificial sources of mercury.

It's the first time the DEQ has looked for mercury in the Rogue.

The DEQ is proposing similar designations for the Clackamas, McKenzie and North Santiam as well as the mid-Columbia River. Other streams, such as the Willamette River, were studied for mercury last decade.

"As we look more closely for mercury, we're finding it at these elevated levels," said Bill Meyers, the DEQ's Rogue Basin coordinator. "That indicates to me it's a broader problem than the Rogue."

The DEQ chose to sample pikeminnow, which generally are not consumed by humans, because they are resident fish that help provide a snapshot of the basin's water quality, Meyers said.

The DEQ tests did not sample the Rogue's salmon and steelhead, whose adult biomass is made up primarily of food consumed in the sea.

"Wherever we look, the pikeminnow seem to have the highest mercury levels," said David Farrar, a public-health toxicologist for Oregon Public Health. "Salmon and steelhead have some of the lowest levels of mercury we find. They're just passing through."

Oregon Public Health expects this spring to issue advisories against eating too many pikeminnow in the Rogue as well as warmwater fish in Applegate Reservoir, Farrer said. Those advisories will be issued once toxicologists calculate how many meals per month are considered safe, he said.

Forrest English, of the Rogue Riverkeeper program, which is the water-quality arm of KS Wild in Ashland, said the levels of mercury clearly will have people questioning their fish consumption. He wants to see the mercury surveys expanded to include tributaries.

"This is a big red flag that there's a lot of mercury in the system," English said. "Whether it's naturally occurring or not, there's still a human-health risk we have to take pretty seriously."

High mercury levels have been documented for decades in smallmouth bass and other nonnative, warmwater fish in Emigrant Lake, most recently in 2006. A standing public-health advisory has been in place there against regular eating of all Emigrant-caught fish except trout, particularly among pregnant women.

In 2006, tests on Emigrant Lake trout showed levels of mercury far below health standards.

It comes as little surprise to see mercury in the Rogue's pikeminnow, which are long-living fish-eaters that are not native to the basin, said Russ Stauff, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife's Rogue Watershed manager.

His agency plans to coordinate with DEQ officials to learn more about the issue and keep anglers and others who eat Rogue fish apprised, Stauff said.

"This is a big deal to understand," Stauff said.

The DEQ is taking public comment on its Draft 2012 Integrated Report Assessment Database and its list of proposed water-quality limited streams through Feb. 3.

Done every two years, the draft contains information on the quality of Oregon's surface water and lists pollutants found to exceed minimum levels.

Listing in the assessment starts in motion a series of more studies, the determination of total amount of the pollutants allowed in the stream to remain healthy and a plan to make that happen, similarly to how DEQ deals with improving dissolved oxygen and other water-quality issues.

While mercury in Emigrant Lake bass was traced to natural deposits, part of the plan for the Rogue will be tracing those sources as well, Meyers said.

"We don't know whether it's erosion of native soils, legacy mines, other mining or what," Meyers said.

Mercury is a toxin most dangerous to fetuses because it can cross the placenta. It is known to cause permanent problems with developing brains.

Mercury is a worldwide health issue and so prevalent in the aquatic food chain that it's present in virtually all fish, including those caught in the ocean.

Because the element builds up over time in a fish's flesh, older and larger fish tend to have higher concentrations of mercury. Since mercury chemically bonds with muscle tissue, it cannot be removed or significantly reduced by fish-cleaning methods, cooking, brining or smoking."
Most likely gold mining.
This made me wonder if the city (GP) tests the water before/after treatment for mercury if they do the results are not published on the water quality reports posted online, at least on the ones I could find.

A further search showed the EPA regulates mercury in drinking water, so I would assume they are testing, I am curious what the results are?
(01-23-2014, 08:24 AM)GPnative Wrote: This made me wonder if the city (GP) tests the water before/after treatment for mercury if they do the results are not published on the water quality reports posted online, at least on the ones I could find.

A further search showed the EPA regulates mercury in drinking water, so I would assume they are testing, I am curious what the results are?
You can go online and find out. It has been a while since I have looked and I can't remember exactly where on the site to look. Anyway, go to OHD/DWP that's the Oregon Health Division Drinking Water Program. Scroll to find the public water system then find the test results. The city also publishes an annual water quality report.

Edit: I just took a quick look. Go to the site and click on the Drinking Water Data Online feature. Then enter the public water system number. You can look up Grants Pass's number there.
(01-23-2014, 08:47 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 08:24 AM)GPnative Wrote: This made me wonder if the city (GP) tests the water before/after treatment for mercury if they do the results are not published on the water quality reports posted online, at least on the ones I could find.

You can go online and find out. It has been a while since I have looked and I can't remember exactly where on the site to look. Anyway, go to OHD/DWP that's the Oregon Health Division Drinking Water Program. Scroll to find the public water system then find the test results. The city also publishes an annual water quality report.

Edit: I just took a quick look. Go to the site and click on the Drinking Water Data Online feature. Then enter the public water system number. You can look up Grants Pass's number there.

A lot of info on that OHDDWP site, I managed to find a mercury non-detect result for 5/16/13. The GP ID# is 00342

just FYI, I checked the city published annual report and it really does not have very much info, at least the reports I found. It seems to me I remember one time seeing a very detailed testing report so maybe they post those somewhere but I didn't find it.
The article is talking about heavy mercury levels in the fish, especially non native fish that spend a long time in local waterways. I think that means the mercury accumulates in them, so I don't know that that correlates to dangerous mercury levels in the water itself, it maybe more just indicates the presence there. Don't eat the non-traveling fish and it sounds like you might be fine. Smiling
(01-23-2014, 09:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: The article is talking about heavy mercury levels in the fish, especially non native fish that spend a long time in local waterways. I think that means the mercury accumulates in them, so I don't know that that correlates to dangerous mercury levels in the water itself, it maybe more just indicates the presence there. Don't eat the non-traveling fish and it sounds like you might be fine. Smiling

Yes, I know the article was about fish, it just made me curious about potential impacts to drinking water, if any. I stopped eating fish from the Rogue 20+ years ago.
There are very, very few if any full time resident fish in the Rogue worth eating.
Suckers and squaw fish just don't eat very well.
(01-23-2014, 09:42 AM)gapper Wrote: There are very, very few if any full time resident fish in the Rogue worth eating.
Suckers and squaw fish just don't eat very well.

Exactly, I'm not sure I know anyone who eats anything other than Salmon or steelhead and neither have acquired high levels of mercury because they mature in the ocean.
And trout? I would say almost all of them were raised in a hatchery and released as legal sized fish but the others? Don't eat too many I guess.

I'm surprised they actually caught a pike minnow at the Old Gold ray damn site.I have,'t ever caught one in the Rogue. BTW some of you may know these fish by their older non PC name "squaw fish".
Except the article also mentions a dozen other rivers plus warm water fishes in Applegate Lake and Emigrant Lake among other places. I dare say you've eaten your share of mercury. Smiling
It gives the fish extra weight.
(01-23-2014, 01:26 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Except the article also mentions a dozen other rivers plus warm water fishes in Applegate Lake and Emigrant Lake among other places. I dare say you've eaten your share of mercury. Smiling

Immigrant lakes mercury levels are nothing new. I think they missed that in the article.
I release bass and other than crappie I eat almost exclusively Salmon trout and steel head.
It's the warm water fish in the lakes that have the high levels of mercury.

Quote:Ponder..The article is talking about heavy mercury levels in the fish, especially non native fish that spend a long time in local waterways. I think that means the mercury accumulates in them, so I don't know that that correlates to dangerous mercury levels in the water itself, it maybe more just indicates the presence there. Don't eat the non-traveling fish and it sounds like you might be fine. Smiling

I think the way the mercury levels get high in fish doesn't necessarily come from how long a fish is in the water. But more about fish eating other fish.
Every time a predator fish eats another fish he gets to keep the mercury that that fish had.
So the levels build up in certain types of fish more than others, like bass.
(01-23-2014, 09:39 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 09:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: The article is talking about heavy mercury levels in the fish, especially non native fish that spend a long time in local waterways. I think that means the mercury accumulates in them, so I don't know that that correlates to dangerous mercury levels in the water itself, it maybe more just indicates the presence there. Don't eat the non-traveling fish and it sounds like you might be fine. Smiling

Yes, I know the article was about fish, it just made me curious about potential impacts to drinking water, if any. I stopped eating fish from the Rogue 20+ years ago.

Why?
(01-23-2014, 04:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 01:26 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Except the article also mentions a dozen other rivers plus warm water fishes in Applegate Lake and Emigrant Lake among other places. I dare say you've eaten your share of mercury. Smiling

Immigrant lakes mercury levels are nothing new. I think they missed that in the article.
I release bass and other than crappie I eat almost exclusively Salmon trout and steel head.

According to the Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, all the fish in Emigrant are affected except trout, with no exception for crappie: "Fish, other than trout, in Emigrant Lake show high mercury levels. Before keeping and consuming fish, anglers should consult the Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations for consumption recommendations." http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fis...p#Emigrant

So I looked up the Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations for consumption guidelines at https://public.health.oregon.gov/Healthy...#southeast . They have a helpful chart that shows recommendations for all the area lakes. For Emigrant, they say "vulnerable populations" (children under age 6, women of childbearing age and people with thyroid or immune system problems) can eat one meal of fish from Emigrant Lake a month, and everyone else can eat 3 meals. How big is a meal? That's spelled out too: "A meal is about ... 1 ounce of uncooked fish for every 20 pounds of body weight.

160 pound adult = 8 oz.
80 pound child = 4 oz."
(01-23-2014, 04:40 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

According to the Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, all the fish in Emigrant are affected except trout, with no exception for crappie: "Fish, other than trout, in Emigrant Lake show high mercury levels. Before keeping and consuming fish, anglers should consult the Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations for consumption recommendations." http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fis...p#Emigrant

So I looked up the Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations for consumption guidelines at https://public.health.oregon.gov/Healthy...#southeast . They have a helpful chart that shows recommendations for all the area lakes. For Emigrant, they say "vulnerable populations" (children under age 6, women of childbearing age and people with thyroid or immune system problems) can eat one meal of fish from Emigrant Lake a month, and everyone else can eat 3 meals. How big is a meal? That's spelled out too: "A meal is about ... 1 ounce of uncooked fish for every 20 pounds of body weight.

160 pound adult = 8 oz.
80 pound child = 4 oz."

Yep, thanks anyway , I've seen all that . I didn't mean to imply that there was any exception for crappie. It's just the only fish I eat that could contain high levels of mercury.
Although I doubt they do because smaller fish have less mercury and also they grow very fast.
(01-23-2014, 05:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 04:40 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

160 pound adult = 8 oz.
80 pound child = 4 oz."

Yep, thanks anyway , I've seen all that . I didn't mean to imply that there was any exception for crappie. It's just the only fish I eat that could contain high levels of mercury.
Although I doubt they do because smaller fish have less mercury and also they grow very fast.

I love to fish for Crappie.
I throw the fish away and just eat the mercury.
Speaking of..

[Image: zl3g3d.jpg]

[Image: 9krvys.jpg]
(01-23-2014, 05:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: Speaking of..

[Image: zl3g3d.jpg]

[Image: 9krvys.jpg]

Wow! You caught a dog too.
I think mercury evaporates rather quickly. If you bake your fish long enough it should dry out.
(01-23-2014, 10:40 PM)chuck white Wrote: I think mercury evaporates rather quickly. If you bake your fish long enough it should dry out.

WHAT?

Your'e supposed to cook fish?

Well, that explains a lot.