Rogue, other Oregon rivers have heavy levels of mercury
(01-23-2014, 10:43 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 10:40 PM)chuck white Wrote: I think mercury evaporates rather quickly. If you bake your fish long enough it should dry out.

WHAT?

Your'e supposed to cook fish?

Well, that explains a lot.

That's the secret to anchovies on the pizza. They actually cook it.
(01-23-2014, 04:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 09:39 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 09:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: The article is talking about heavy mercury levels in the fish, especially non native fish that spend a long time in local waterways. I think that means the mercury accumulates in them, so I don't know that that correlates to dangerous mercury levels in the water itself, it maybe more just indicates the presence there. Don't eat the non-traveling fish and it sounds like you might be fine. Smiling

Yes, I know the article was about fish, it just made me curious about potential impacts to drinking water, if any. I stopped eating fish from the Rogue 20+ years ago.

Why?

Because all I ever caught was nasty sucker fish Razz

And, frankly, sewage treatment wastewater discharge, 'nuff said. Wink
(01-24-2014, 07:58 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 09:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: The article is talking about heavy mercury levels in the fish, especially non native fish that spend a long time in local waterways. I think that means the mercury accumulates in them, so I don't know that that correlates to dangerous mercury levels in the water itself, it maybe more just indicates the presence there. Don't eat the non-traveling fish and it sounds like you might be fine. Smiling

Yes, I know the article was about fish, it just made me curious about potential impacts to drinking water, if any. I stopped eating fish from the Rogue 20+ years ago.

Why?

The water seems clean to me. It's tested pretty often I would assume.
You would hate it back east. They don't have crystal clear cold rivers with rock bottoms.
And you won't catch a sucker on the Rogue on a spinner or a flieBig Grin
(01-24-2014, 08:18 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Why?

You would hate it back east. They don't have crystal clear cold rivers with rock bottoms.

I don't fish much anymore, been several years since I dropped a line, not sure why I just lost interest. I used to do a lot more fishing on the Applegate than the Rogue but I really always preferred lake fishing. I had an awesome coleman scanoe that I would paddle around and fish from, one of those things I really regret selling.
(01-24-2014, 08:42 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 09:39 AM)GPnative Wrote: Yes, I know the article was about fish, it just made me curious about potential impacts to drinking water, if any. I stopped eating fish from the Rogue 20+ years ago.

Why?

I don't fish much anymore, been several years since I dropped a line, not sure why I just lost interest. I used to do a lot more fishing on the Applegate than the Rogue but I really always preferred lake fishing. I had an awesome coleman scanoe that I would paddle around and fish from, one of those things I really regret selling.

I think I had the same canoe. It was a little wider than most and had a transom for a motor.
Lake fishing is less hassle.The river is more of a chore and most good places are crowded. Applegate is really a beautiful lake. It's REALLY gonna be low this year.
(01-24-2014, 08:42 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 09:39 AM)GPnative Wrote: Yes, I know the article was about fish, it just made me curious about potential impacts to drinking water, if any. I stopped eating fish from the Rogue 20+ years ago.

Why?

Nice ride. Smiling