Delete thread??
Why is there a delete option that I cannot use??

Quote:You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:

Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

You are currently logged in with the username: 'Tiamat'
I'm pretty sure you can thank Ham Sandwich for that one.
(01-22-2014, 09:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Why is there a delete option that I cannot use??

Quote:You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:

Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

It's been like that for years. What are you actually asking, that the delete thread option be restored of that you want the delete thread option selection removed if it does not function?
(01-22-2014, 09:15 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 09:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Why is there a delete option that I cannot use??

It's been like that for years. What are you actually asking, that the delete thread option be restored of that you want the delete thread option selection removed if it does not function?

Why it is there. And by extension, why it does not function. I know it has been that way for years. But it still offers it as an option.
It's there because it's part of the forum software. It has the capacity to allow the person who started the thread to delete it. But the admin can set permissions at various levels... For individual users, for groups (like mods, or custom groups then assign users to those groups), to boards or subforums... In this case, it was turned off globally for all basic users. But that just turned off the permissions, not the button.
(01-22-2014, 09:12 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm pretty sure you can thank Ham Sandwich for that one.

Yea, he figured out the art of starting a thread and after getting everyone excited, would than pull thread out from under us.
(01-22-2014, 09:45 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 09:12 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm pretty sure you can thank Ham Sandwich for that one.

Yea, he figured out the art of starting a thread and after getting everyone excited, would than pull thread out from under us.

Yeah, I remember.
(01-22-2014, 09:38 PM)csrowan Wrote: It's there because it's part of the forum software. It has the capacity to allow the person who started the thread to delete it. But the admin can set permissions at various levels... For individual users, for groups (like mods, or custom groups then assign users to those groups), to boards or subforums... In this case, it was turned off globally for all basic users. But that just turned off the permissions, not the button.

Well. They need to grant that permission. To me.Razz
(01-22-2014, 10:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 09:38 PM)csrowan Wrote: It's there because it's part of the forum software. It has the capacity to allow the person who started the thread to delete it. But the admin can set permissions at various levels... For individual users, for groups (like mods, or custom groups then assign users to those groups), to boards or subforums... In this case, it was turned off globally for all basic users. But that just turned off the permissions, not the button.

You have my permission.
Press the delete button all you want.
(01-22-2014, 11:36 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 10:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

You have my permission.
Press the delete button all you want.

SmilingSmiling
Been a while since I've revisited this, but it used to be a bug in the software. It would let you delete a thread you created at any point in time, not just during the "edit window". I'll have to give it a try again when I have a little more free time.

For whatever reason, the software also doesn't check permissions when displaying that button - which it does for most others (e.g. you won't see the 'warn', 'move thread', and other administrative buttons). Strange.

Thanks!
I can see where the delete thread button could be a helpful feature if it only worked for the 2 hour window. It would allow posters to delete duplicate threads or threads with comments they reconsidered. However, I hated it when threads were deleted just because the topic starter did not like the direction the conversation was going.

I think the delete post function could be useful too; now I just use the edit feature to remove comments that I posted when I was PUI. Smiling
(01-23-2014, 07:29 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I can see where the delete thread button could be a helpful feature if it only worked for the 2 hour window. It would allow posters to delete duplicate threads or threads with comments they reconsidered. However, I hated it when threads were deleted just because the topic starter did not like the direction the conversation was going.

I think the delete post function could be useful too; now I just use the edit feature to remove comments that I posted when I was PUI. Smiling

Gotta stay on top of it though. That window closes after a few hours also! (in my case it was a double post) I just went back and removed the post, but left the thread.
Sheesh who freaking cares. I would rather Kgasso figured out why sometimes when I try to post or just view a post it takes forever.
If only he valued your time more. Laughing