Apple Cider vinegar is amazing!
Recently a family member had an ear infection where the walls of the inner ear basically swelled shut.( Swimear) I got on the internet and searched natural remedies as he doesn't have health insurance and found a site talking about the healing properties of Apple Cider vinegar. I followed the directions and put 2 drops in his ear for 5 minutes, then had him turn over and drain it. We did this twice a day. I was actually surprised when he told me his ear was starting to feel better the next day and within a week the infection was gone. So now my Jack Russell is shaking his head and when I look in the ear it's red and kinda yucky. I'm going to try this with him too.

I started researching and find drinking apple Cider Vinegar (2 tablespoons, honey and hot water has amazing health benefits. So I've started a daily regimen. See the link below.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/apple-cid...efits.html
I take it with breakfast every morning but i don't mix it with anything. The Bragg organic "raw unfiltered" is the way to go.
(01-25-2014, 09:12 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: Recently a family member had an ear infection where the walls of the inner ear basically swelled shut.( Swimear) I got on the internet and searched natural remedies as he doesn't have health insurance and found a site talking about the healing properties of Apple Cider vinegar. I followed the directions and put 2 drops in his ear for 5 minutes, then had him turn over and drain it. We did this twice a day. I was actually surprised when he told me his ear was starting to feel better the next day and within a week the infection was gone. So now my Jack Russell is shaking his head and when I look in the ear it's red and kinda yucky. I'm going to try this with him too.

I started researching and find drinking apple Cider Vinegar (2 tablespoons, honey and hot water has amazing health benefits. So I've started a daily regimen. See the link below.

What if the infection was cured by the body's immune system and not the Apple Cider Vinegar?

Report to the Big Alterna thread immediately. Laughing Just kidding and playing devil's advocate.
(01-25-2014, 09:21 AM)Scar Wrote: I take it with breakfast every morning but i don't mix it with anything. The Bragg organic "raw unfiltered" is the way to go.

The honey has healing properties too. It's said it's like a natural antibiotic.

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-dun...n-benefits
(01-25-2014, 09:50 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote:
(01-25-2014, 09:21 AM)Scar Wrote: I take it with breakfast every morning but i don't mix it with anything. The Bragg organic "raw unfiltered" is the way to go.

The honey has healing properties too. It's said it's like a natural antibiotic.

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-dun...n-benefits

No doubt it does. I get my honey dose at tea time.:-)
You can also use it to build homemade fruit fly traps that easily surpass any other trap on the market
(01-25-2014, 10:06 AM)GPnative Wrote: You can also use it to build homemade fruit fly traps that easily surpass any other trap on the market

We do that! Thumbs Up Works every time!
(01-25-2014, 09:12 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: Recently a family member had an ear infection where the walls of the inner ear basically swelled shut.( Swimear) I got on the internet and searched natural remedies as he doesn't have health insurance and found a site talking about the healing properties of Apple Cider vinegar. I followed the directions and put 2 drops in his ear for 5 minutes, then had him turn over and drain it. We did this twice a day. I was actually surprised when he told me his ear was starting to feel better the next day and within a week the infection was gone. So now my Jack Russell is shaking his head and when I look in the ear it's red and kinda yucky. I'm going to try this with him too.

If you were to ask a pharmacist they would point you to a little squirt bottle of Aliro-Dri. It's 95% isopropyl alcohol and will both cure and prevent this in the future. (and it doesn't smell like vinegar) I just refill the little bottle with the economy size rubbing alcohol.

Scar is correct. If you are doing the vinegar thing, make sure it's Braggs unfiltered or another unfiltered "mother" type vinegar. I myself never found much of an effect by doing the vinegar routine, but I know people who swear by it. However, I have had good (anecdotal) results with drinking Roobios tea. I haven't gotten sick since I started taking it. I started at the end of a really annoying cycle of virus that I just couldn't shake off. Started that, got better and haven't been sick for months. H1N1 and regular influenza and strep is going around at work. Crossing my fingers my luck holds out.
Well nobody else has said it. You folks are full of piss and vinegar .Big GrinTwitchRazz
(01-25-2014, 09:12 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: So now my Jack Russell is shaking his head and when I look in the ear it's red and kinda yucky. I'm going to try this with him too.

Mineral oil is sometimes used in dogs ears as well (for ear mites, I think).
(01-25-2014, 11:07 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

If you were to ask a pharmacist they would point you to a little squirt bottle of Aliro-Dri. It's 95% isopropyl alcohol and will both cure and prevent this in the future. (and it doesn't smell like vinegar) I just refill the little bottle with the economy size rubbing alcohol.

I know the alcohol is good to put in your ear after a shower to prevent Swimear..
Tiamat, Thanks for the head's up on the Roobios tea.. I'm going to check it out.
(01-25-2014, 10:14 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-25-2014, 10:06 AM)GPnative Wrote: You can also use it to build homemade fruit fly traps that easily surpass any other trap on the market

OK I've had fly traps and yellow jacket traps... but fruit fly traps? Do you mean in your house or something? Because I know at the end of summer they can be pretty annoying.
(01-26-2014, 03:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

OK I've had fly traps and yellow jacket traps... but fruit fly traps? Do you mean in your house or something? Because I know at the end of summer they can be pretty annoying.
It works well. I'm a bartender and we set them out during late summer
because fruit flies love beer! =)
Double post

For us, yes, in the house....it seems like at some point every summer we bring home some fruit from the store or growers market and end up with an outbreak of the annoying little buggers.
Shape a piece of paper into a funnel, tapered to a very small opening at the bottom, put this in a cylindrical glass with AC vinegar in the bottom so it is suspended above the vinegar, they are drawn to it like a magnet and they get in and can't get back out, works like a charm.
(01-27-2014, 07:57 AM)GPnative Wrote:

For us, yes, in the house....it seems like at some point every summer we bring home some fruit from the store or growers market and end up with an outbreak of the annoying little buggers.
Shape a piece of paper into a funnel, tapered to a very small opening at the bottom, put this in a cylindrical glass with AC vinegar in the bottom so it is suspended above the vinegar, they are drawn to it like a magnet and they get in and can't get back out, works like a charm.

OK but this is more fun. When you are drinking beer they get in your face and somehow they escape when you try and smash them between two hands. And off and on go the clap on clap off lights.
I keep one of the small butane torches with the automatic striker and burn those little suckers right out of the air.
The go down like tiny comets.
(01-27-2014, 10:37 AM)tvguy Wrote:

OK but this is more fun. When you are drinking beer they get in your face and somehow they escape when you try and smash them between two hands. And off and on go the clap on clap off lights.
I keep one of the small butane torches with the automatic striker and burn those little suckers right out of the air.

Laughing
(01-27-2014, 10:37 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Laughing