For Meat Eaters
Danish Crown is the world's largest exporter of pork, killing approximately 100,000 pigs a week to cater to the growing global demand for meat. Alastair Philip Wiper visited the company's abattoir in Horsens to capture a behind-the-scenes look at the entire process, starting at the pens where the pigs arrive and moving through the spaces where the animals are slaughtered, butchered and packaged for sale.

Wiper says he "finds it difficult to tolerate those who love eating meat, but cannot bear to think about, or look at, the slaughter and death of that animal", so each image in the Danish Crown Slaughterhouse is intended to reveal the entire butchering process, made visible by the transparency and openness of the spaces.

The reality is that the society we live in craves meat, on a massive scale. Where there is a demand there will be a supply, and finding out how that supply is met is something that all meat-eaters should be interested in.

[Image: Danish-Crown-Slaughterhouse-photography-...zeen_4.jpg]

[Image: Danish-Crown-Slaughterhouse-photography-...zeen_3.jpg]

[Image: Danish-Crown-Slaughterhouse-photography-...zeen_1.jpg]

[Image: Danish-Crown-Slaughterhouse-photography-...een_10.jpg]

[Image: Danish-Crown-Slaughterhouse-photography-...zeen_7.jpg]

Interesting read as this Slaughter house is designed to keep the animals calm before killing them with.

''The first part of the process is called the "black" slaughter line, and is in stark contrast with the minimalist, office-like corridors that surround the slaughtering area. We started off in the space where the pigs arrive - holding pens where up to 3,800 pigs (3 and a half hours worth of slaughtering) will sit for 1-2 hours before they are slaughtered. "Listen to that" says my guide, Agnete Poulsen. "Listen to what?" I think. "There are thousands of pigs in here, and you can hardly hear a sound. Have you ever heard the noise that ten pigs can make? It's incredible. These are very calm pigs, and that’s the way we want them to be. This room has been designed to calm the pigs down before they go into the slaughterhouse. If the pigs are stressed when they are killed, the quality of the meat will not be so good."

From there, the pigs are gently herded in small groups by a series of moving walls into a gas chamber, where they are rendered unconscious by C02 gas. A minute later, they tumble out of the chamber on to a conveyor belt from where they are strung up by their legs before being stuck in the carotid artery and bleeding to death.''

From an article in Dezeen Magazine........... http://www.dezeen.com/2014/01/23/danish-...lip-wiper/
I wish our meat plants were that clean and efficiently run. Somehow I doubt we take the time or effort to calm our animals either. Just as you always point out, them Euro's is more advanced than us. Smiling
I've read that death from Co2 is a very calm experience, possibly with a bit of euphoria thrown in. Some have asked why condemned prisoners are not executed using this method, with the possible explanation given that it's considered too pleasant of a death for those we're trying to punish.