California aims to regulate guns
Toy guns, that is. Those things are dangerous! http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/20...nguns.html

[Image: src.adapt.480.low.1390989695672.jpg]
Legislation would require BB and pellet guns to be brightly colored or transparent to avoid confusion with real weapons

Excerpt: "BB guns and pellet guns would have to look clearly different from those that fire bullets if manufacturers want to sell them in California under a bill approved Tuesday by the state Senate in response to several recent shootings involving children.

Senators approved the Imitation Firearm Safety Act on a party-line 22-8 vote, although several senators from each party did not vote. It now goes to the Assembly.

SB199 advanced in the wake of the October fatal shooting of 13-year-old Andy Lopez in the Bay Area city of Santa Rosa, when a sheriff's deputy mistook the boy's "airsoft" rifle for a real AK-47. Airsoft guns are replica firearms that fire plastic pellets, paper balls or eraser chunks.

"The tragedy has rocked Santa Rosa and Sonoma County to its very core," said Sen. Noreen Evans, D-Santa Rosa, a co-author of the bill. "A toy should look like a toy. A toy should not get a child killed."

Sen. Kevin de Leon, D-Los Angeles, unsuccessfully introduced a similar bill in 2011 after another 13-year old, Rohayent Gomez, was shot and left a paraplegic when Los Angeles police thought his replica firearm was a real weapon.

De Leon's new bill would require that BB, pellet and airsoft guns sold in the state be painted bright colors or be made transparent to distinguish them from real weapons.

"Law enforcement officers have extreme difficulty — extreme difficulty — in distinguishing between the real thing and what is fake ... especially when officers must make a split-second decision in a very dangerous situation," de Leon said.

He added later, "This is about saving lives."

More than 200 such shootings occur each year across the country, he said, citing a 1990 U.S. Department of Justice study.

Several Republicans objected that the bill could endanger police officers because some real guns are now manufactured in different colors to appeal to consumers including children.

Smith & Wesson, for instance, makes several handguns with pink hand grips to appeal to women.

Another manufacturer, Keystone Sporting Arms, makes rifles designed for use by children that are colored hot pink, royal blue and with multicolor swirls.

The legislation is opposed by the Airsoft Safety Foundation, as well as several organizations representing gun owners and retailers."
I believe airsoft guns are already required to have a bright orange tip on them to distinguish the fact they are a toy. Although I don't think the rule applies to BB and pellet guns.
Bright orange tips aren't enough apparently to keep more than 200 people a year from getting shot by police. Either the tips are removed or painted black or they aren't noticed.

And the "several Republicans" who worry that making sure that toy guns don't look at all like (the vast majority of) real guns because it could endanger police who might encounter real guns that are brightly colored. Not that they've been at all concerned that kids might remove the orange tips on their toy guns and get shot by police. Or that criminals might paint the tips of their guns orange and endanger police.
Interesting. So this legislation would require a pellet gun to look like a toy?

De Leon's new bill would require that BB, pellet and airsoft guns sold in the state be painted bright colors or be made transparent to distinguish them from real weapons.

I have a pellet gun that could easily kill someone if it hit them in the right place. IT IS a REAL weapon.

Excerpt: "BB guns and pellet guns would have to look clearly different from those that fire bullets if manufacturers want to sell them in California

Bullets? If you look up the definition of a "bullet" a pellet is ALSO a bullet.

So let me get this straight. with this new legislation a deadly pellet gun will be required to look like a TOY gun, a BB gun or an airsoft gunRolling Eyes
Whatever.

If this kid ( LOPEZ) would have not removed the bright orange tip on the end of his airsoft imitating assault weapon he would not have been shot.
If they make it a law that the whole gun has to be bright orange then what's to stop a kid from paining it black?
I'm getting a mental image of a guy holding up a bank with a pink gun. Would they hand over the money, or crack up laughing? How could a criminal maintain self respect with a pink gun? Maybe they should all be pink.
(01-29-2014, 12:04 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm getting a mental image of a guy holding up a bank with a pink gun. Would they hand over the money, or crack up laughing? How could a criminal maintain self respect with a pink gun? Maybe they should all be pink.

There are tons of REAL pink guns being sold to women in this country.
So I hear. How many of them end up in criminals hands??? Laughing
(01-29-2014, 12:15 PM)PonderThis Wrote: So I hear. How many of them end up in criminals hands??? Laughing

Probably not many , just saying there are lots of them.
California recently pass new laws that will further restrict the sales of hand guns in their state.
Both Ruger and Smith and Wesson have said they will not sell their new guns in Cal., and will not attempt to get existing guns re-approved once their time of acceptance has run out. All hand guns have to be re-approved for Cal. sale every so man years.

The issue now is that Cal. is requiring hand guns to have a unique code that is on the firing pin, to make a unique identifying mark on the primer, or base of the cartridge.

It's got a whole lot of people ticked off.
(01-29-2014, 12:04 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm getting a mental image of a guy holding up a bank with a pink gun. Would they hand over the money, or crack up laughing? How could a criminal maintain self respect with a pink gun? Maybe they should all be pink.

Ponder,
Guns don't need to be regulated, gun manufacturers and gun owners need to be regulated.

All gun manufactures and their employees must be attired in black, gun owners, when armed must always be attired, from head to toe in pink and guns can only come in 3 colours; red, white and blue.

And to further distinguish them, Law enforcement will wear White, including gloves as they do look smart thus leaving society at large the freedom make their own fashion statements.
(01-29-2014, 12:31 PM)gapper Wrote: California recently pass new laws that will further restrict the sales of hand guns in their state.
Both Ruger and Smith and Wesson have said they will not sell their new guns in Cal., and will not attempt to get existing guns re-approved once their time of acceptance has run out. All hand guns have to be re-approved for Cal. sale every so man years.

The issue now is that Cal. is requiring hand guns to have a unique code that is on the firing pin, to make a unique identifying mark on the primer, or base of the cartridge.

It's got a whole lot of people ticked off.

What's to stop a criminal from installing a new firing pin? Or maybe grinding down the information?
Sounds like people who passed this don't really care if it is a just an idea that hasn't even been shown to work or is too cost prohibitive.

One of the main arguments critics pose is the claim that the technology is not perfected, yet the requirement has been put into effect.

“The technology doesn’t fully exist yet, but by making it into a law, they [California] in fact enacted a gun law without actually passing one,” David Kopel, a constitutional law professor at the Denver University Sturm College of Law and Research Director of the Independence Institute, told FoxNews.com. “This is an indirect way to ban new handguns from being sold.”

The patent holder of microstamping tech, Todd Lizotte, was part of a Department of Justice study team which concluded that, “legitimate questions exist related to both the technical aspects, production costs, and database management associated with microstamping that should be addresses before wide scale implementation is legislatively mandated,” according to the study which was published in the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners (AFTE) Journal.
When will the gun advocates get it? The only people benefiting from the high rate of gun ownership in this country are the manufacturers.

"The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - there are 89 guns for every 100 Americans, compared to 6 in England and Wales.

And the murder figures themselves are astounding for Brits used to around 550 murders per year. In 2011 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,664 murders in the US. Of those, 8,583 were caused by firearms."
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog...e-us-state

From Canada:

"However, just 158 2011 homicides were committed with a firearm, 13 fewer than the year before and the lowest number of gun-related homicides in almost 50 years.

snip

Stabbings accounted for about 35 percent of all homicides in Canada in 2011, the agency reported. Homicides involving firearms accounted for 27 percent, beatings for 22 percent and strangulation for 7.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2...354667599/
I don't see what is keeping all the anti-Americans from moving to those other places.
When other countries begin to allow Americans to emigrate with 'refugee status' from all the guns circulating around, maybe we'll see that happening. Nice non-argument, though, Scar. Exactly what I would expect from someone with your POV.
(01-29-2014, 03:08 PM)TennisMom Wrote: When will the gun advocates get it? The only people benefiting from the high rate of gun ownership in this country are the manufacturers.

What's a gun advocate? Anyone who agrees with the constitution?

Quote:The only people benefiting from the high rate of gun ownership in this country are the manufacturers.

What? I benefit form owning my gun. It could even save my life or another life. As far as the "high rate of gun ownership" That's irrelevant as long as I want MY right everyone should also have them.
This thread is about making sure toy guns are MORE easily distinguished by the police.

Quote:"The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - there are 89 guns for every 100 Americans, compared to 6 in England and Wales.

And the murder figures themselves are astounding for Brits used to around 550 murders per year. In 2011 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,664 murders in the US. Of those, 8,583 were caused by firearms."
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog...e-us-state

From Canada:

"However, just 158 2011 homicides were committed with a firearm, 13 fewer than the year before and the lowest number of gun-related homicides in almost 50 years.

snip

Stabbings accounted for about 35 percent of all homicides in Canada in 2011, the agency reported. Homicides involving firearms accounted for 27 percent, beatings for 22 percent and strangulation for 7.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2...354667599/

BTW Nice stats comparing the USA 8,583 murders caused by firearms to 550 per year in the UK. Never mind that the USA has 6 times as many people and probably a THOUSAND Times more inner city crack head gangsters than the UK.

I don't live in a stinking Ghetto so don't throw bogus stats my way to justify taking away MY rights to own a gun.
(01-29-2014, 03:59 PM)tvguy Wrote: BTW Nice stats comparing the USA 8,583 murders caused by firearms to 550 per year in the UK. Never mind that the USA has 6 times as many people

15 times more murders than a country with 1/6 as many people? That means we have a murder rate some 2 and a half times what theirs is per capita, and you're calling that a bogus stat?

Also, explain why your 2nd Amendment should apply to you just fine, but it shouldn't apply just as equally to someone in a ghetto? Are Constitutional rights something that apply to people depending on where they live, or do they apply to everyone, equally?
I don't think it matters what color you make them. As already pointed out Airsoft guns were already marked by orange bands and it isn't failsafe. It might be better to improve police training and (more importantly) dumbass training "Yes dummy, it is a good idea to do what the police with his gun drawn tells you to do. Argue later if you want."

To bad there aren't statistics on how many are NOT shot because the police realised it was a toy or the toy holder did the right thing.
(01-29-2014, 06:50 PM)Cuzz Wrote: To bad there aren't statistics on how many are NOT shot because the police realised ... the toy holder did the right thing.

What, and actually played with their toy? Oh the horrors. Ninja
Would pink be an OK color

[Image: hiresCrop.chain%5D&scale=size%5B300%5D&sink]
Quote:[Image: makita-3-mode-sds-rotary-hammer-drill-hr...u77@14.jpg]

They need a orange tip on that one.