Music
(11-03-2017, 08:24 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 08:06 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Who?

Laughing

Barbie never misses a change to send a barb my way.  Wink

It's true. I enjoy Kristofferson's stuff (some of it anyway) and have posted videos of his songs here. He can't sing for sour apples, but I like many of his lyrics and this word-play. However, I don't expect you (or anyone else) to enjoy his stuff and wouldn't think you were at A LOSS if you didn't embrace his talent. 

See my point?

He can write some good songs. I just think he should just let other people sing them.   Razz

Laughing

It's true. I enjoy Kristofferson's stuff (some of it anyway) and have posted videos of his songs here. He can't sing for sour apples, but I like many of his lyrics and this word-play. However, I don't expect you (or anyone else) to enjoy his stuff and wouldn't think you were at A LOSS if you didn't embrace his talent. 

See my point?

I am going to jump into the conversation with my Kristofferson story, fwiw. In my years of life I have been to more concerts then I could even recall, from heavy metal to Keola Beamer on the Hawaiian slack key guitar. Without a doubt the worst live show I have ever seen was a Kristofferson show. It was truly terrible. He had as much energy as a half dead sloth, looked and acted bored, couldn't sing his way out of a bucket, terrible commentary in between songs. We almost walked out, but the venue served beer, so we enjoyed drinking instead. I think he is an amazing song writer, but his live show stunk.
(11-03-2017, 09:16 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Laughing

See my point?

I am going to jump into the conversation with my Kristofferson story, fwiw. In my years of life I have been to more concerts then I could even recall, from heavy metal to Keola Beamer on the Hawaiian slack key guitar. Without a doubt the worst live show I have ever seen was a Kristofferson show. It was truly terrible. He had as much energy as a half dead sloth, looked and acted bored, couldn't sing his way out of a bucket, terrible commentary in between songs. We almost walked out, but the venue served beer, so we enjoyed drinking instead. I think he is an amazing song writer, but his live show stunk.
Yep. I too saw him live once in the 70's at the San Jose (CA) Civic Center. In his defense the sound system was really screwed up and keep screeching feedback, so his was a pit pissed. Still, I don't think that was the significant issue. As you say, no energy and he looked for all the world like someone who did not want to be there. I've read a bit about the guy and there is a lot I don't admire about him. A pretty good mind wasted on a few clever songs while he whored around on Rita Coolidge and stayed stoned most of the time. 
Still...some really good lines.
(11-03-2017, 07:50 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 12:54 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:45 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Whats the matter? I agreed with you.   Neutral

Laughing Laughing  Cuzz makes a good point. Laughing Laughing
Maybe so, Tia. But all too often our interaction here gets tangled up because it's not clear. 
Review this.
I said, about the music, "Probably my loss"
And Cuss said yes, it is your loss.
And I wondered why he was repeating what I had already said, and wondered if there was some additional "tone" I missed. 
So, now I'm curious why you include four laughing faces and saying he makes a good point.
What am I missing here?

Wonky you said it Probably was your loss. Cuzz said it WAS your loss.

And my comment before I read the above was the same.. It's not probably a loss. it is IS a loss.
I understand you have opinions. We all do. I respect yours most of the time. When we are exchanging views about political or some idealistic stuff, we may have differences difficult to reconcile. About music, movies, television and the like, we are bound to have different tastes and likes. 
I find it kind of strange that you are so adamant that if I don't enjoy James Taylor's talent it IS MY LOSS. 
Seems kind of strange, but also doesn't seem all that important.

Of course I'm adamant because the guy is an amazing singer and the fact that he is not to you means you can't enjoy his music.
What's so hard about accepting that and in a way it's a loss for you?

I'm not and have not put you down for not liking Taylor. I'm just saying it's too bad you don't.
(11-03-2017, 01:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: Laughing Laughing  Cuzz makes a good point. Laughing Laughing
Maybe so, Tia. But all too often our interaction here gets tangled up because it's not clear. 
Review this.
And I wondered why he was repeating what I had already said, and wondered if there was some additional "tone" I missed. 
So, now I'm curious why you include four laughing faces and saying he makes a good point.
What am I missing here?

And my comment before I read the above was the same.. It's not probably a loss. it is IS a loss.
I understand you have opinions. We all do. I respect yours most of the time. When we are exchanging views about political or some idealistic stuff, we may have differences difficult to reconcile. About music, movies, television and the like, we are bound to have different tastes and likes. 
I find it kind of strange that you are so adamant that if I don't enjoy James Taylor's talent it IS MY LOSS. 

Of course I'm adamant because the guy is an amazing singer and the fact that he is not to you means you can't enjoy his music.

I'm not and have not put you down for not liking Taylor. I'm just saying it's too bad you don't.
...and I appreciate your concern. We all want others to enjoy the things we truly admire.
But TV, you went past that. You INSISTED it is my loss. 
You don't get to say that.
I HAVE heard James Taylor. I know that millions of folks (I guess) enjoy his music and buy it. 
I don't. It's not that I HATE it, or that it makes me run into the hills. I simply don't enjoy his "style". 
But I get to choose. It's NOT my loss for that reason.

I think we have had this kind of "go around" before. It's a matter of not understanding one another, and it turns too often into a pissing match that should not have to happen. 

I'm happy for you that you enjoy James Taylor. And Bluegrass. I don't. Telling me I should is a bit insulting: Suggesting the I maybe have no taste for good music. 
(Remember your comment about "Adagio For Strings" that I posted? Now I TREASURE that music. It didn't "speak to you". I don't think it's your loss. We just have different tastes) 

We all get to choose. I have. You don't get to do that for me.  Smiling
(11-03-2017, 01:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:45 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Maybe so, Tia. But all too often our interaction here gets tangled up because it's not clear. 
Review this.
What am I missing here?

...and I appreciate your concern. We all want others to enjoy the things we truly admire.
But TV, you went past that. And I have natural gas at the house...a bit more efficient than electric)

I HAVE heard James Taylor. I know that millions of folks (I guess) enjoy his music and buy it. 
I don't. It's not that I HATE it, or that it makes me run into the hills. I simply don't enjoy his "style". 

I think we have had this kind of "go around" before. It's a matter of not understanding one another, and it turns too often into a pissing match that should not have to happen. 

I'm happy for you that you enjoy James Taylor. And Bluegrass. I don't. Telling me I should is a bit insulting: Suggesting the I maybe have no taste for good music. 
(Remember your comment about "Adagio For Strings" that I posted? Now I TREASURE that music. It didn't "speak to you". I don't think it's your loss. We just have different tastes) 

Jesus Christ Wonky you are making a bunch of shit out of nothing AGAIN.

Yes when a person doesn't like apple pie or puppy's or beautiful women or whateverand t the vast majority of others DO like these things.
Then I'm allowed to say they are losing out.

I'm happy for you that you enjoy James Taylor. And Bluegrass. I don't. Telling me I should is a bit insulting:

I did not say "you should like" anything. You just think that's what I said.

We all get to choose. I have. You don't get to do that for me

I didn't.
(11-03-2017, 01:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 12:54 AM)tvguy Wrote: Wonky you said it Probably was your loss. Cuzz said it WAS your loss.

But TV, you went past that. And I have natural gas at the house...a bit more efficient than electric)

Yes when a person doesn't like apple pie or puppy's or beautiful women or whateverand t the vast majority of others DO like these things.

I'm happy for you that you enjoy James Taylor. And Bluegrass. I don't. Telling me I should is a bit insulting:

I didn't.

In post 2474 your said:

"Yes your loss indeed. I can't imagine anyone not liking James Taylor's smooth as silk voice that's also pitch perfect."

YOU can't imagine it.

Try.
(11-03-2017, 02:02 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 07:50 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I understand you have opinions. We all do. I respect yours most of the time. When we are exchanging views about political or some idealistic stuff, we may have differences difficult to reconcile. About music, movies, television and the like, we are bound to have different tastes and likes. 

I didn't.

In post 2474 your said:

"Yes your loss indeed. I can't imagine anyone not liking James Taylor's smooth as silk voice that's also pitch perfect."

YOU can't imagine it.

Try.

Wonky saying it's your loss is Not at all the same as me saying you SHOULD like JT.

So F***ing what if I can't imagine people not liking his voice. How in the hell is that offensive to you?
(11-03-2017, 02:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 01:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: Of course I'm adamant because the guy is an amazing singer and the fact that he is not to you means you can't enjoy his music.

I didn't.

In post 2474 your said:

YOU can't imagine it.

Try.

Wonky saying it's your loss is Not at all the same as me saying you SHOULD like JT.

So F***ing what if I can't imagine people not liking his voice. How in the hell is that offensive to you?
Oh boy. Again.
Maybe it's only perception, I don't know. I do know it's not a ground breaking issue. And still...
See TV, you take from me MY view, my opinion, my feelings, and even judgment of what I like and value. 
How can it be my loss if I don't FEEL the loss of it? Yet, you INSIST it's my loss. Are we just talking semantics here? I made a simple and clear statement and while you get to feel differently about this thing, you don't get to tell me how I feel about it. 
I don't really feel offended. I just again feel frustrated, irritated, and exhausted. I don't want to have to quarrel about every expression I use or the opinions I express that for the most part don't matter very much. 
At the start of this, I only wanted to say you can't tell me how I feel. I don't feel "the loss" of not enjoying James Taylor's talent. 
Seems so simple to me. 
But, we are forever caught in this web. 
I think I'll download some James Taylor tunes and LEARN to like them. 
Anything to settle this.

PS: I quit the damn book I was reading. Historical fiction, it was more tedious than this.  Wink
(11-03-2017, 04:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 01:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: ...and I appreciate your concern. We all want others to enjoy the things we truly admire.

I didn't.

In post 2474 your said:

YOU can't imagine it.

Try.

Oh boy. Again.
Maybe it's only perception, I don't know. I do know it's not a ground breaking issue. And still...
See TV, you take from me MY view, my opinion, my feelings, and even judgment of what I like and value. 
How can it be my loss if I don't FEEL the loss of it? Yet, you INSIST it's my loss. Are we just talking semantics here? I made a simple and clear statement and while you get to feel differently about this thing, you don't get to tell me how I feel about it. 
I don't really feel offended. I just again feel frustrated, irritated, and exhausted. I don't want to have to quarrel about every expression I use or the opinions I express that for the most part don't matter very much. 
At the start of this, I only wanted to say you can't tell me how I feel. I don't feel "the loss" of not enjoying James Taylor's talent. 
Seems so simple to me. 
Anything to settle this.

PS: I quit the damn book I was reading. Historical fiction, it was more tedious than this.  Wink

you don't get to tell me how I feel about it.

And I haven'tWhy do you make a big fucking deal out of everything so often anymore?
I wonder what Carly Simon thinks about this situation?
(11-02-2017, 07:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Whats the matter? I agreed with you.   Neutral

Review this.
What am I missing here?

It's not.
Well, surely there are great artists that are mostly appreciated but not by some. Understandable.
(11-03-2017, 04:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 01:49 PM)tvguy Wrote: Jesus Christ Wonky you are making a bunch of shit out of nothing AGAIN.

I didn't.

In post 2474 your said:

YOU can't imagine it.

Try.

Oh boy. Again.
Seems so simple to me. 
Anything to settle this.

And I haven'tWhy do you make a big fucking deal out of everything so often anymore?

Look TV, once and for all: I like you. You are a stand-up guy who worked hard, played by the rules, and loves his dogs. 

But you don't get to make decisions about how other people feel, react, hatch opinions, what they read, listen to, or watch. And you do that. 
Yes! It is a big fucking deal when you do things like that. I get to say what I did about James Taylor and you DON'T get to make conclusions about my feelings regarding him and his talent. You did. Can you see the arrogance in that? Of course I react to it!
So I'm not the one making a big fucking deal out of this. 
I wouldn't even bother, but this has been going on for a long time. I'm entitled to opinions and feelings. I'm NOT entitled to my own facts and you may (and should) call me when I tell lies. 
Let's get over this. It's really trivial, and gets boring.
(11-03-2017, 07:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 02:02 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: In post 2474 your said:

YOU can't imagine it.

Try.

Oh boy. Again.
Seems so simple to me. 
Anything to settle this.

Look TV, once and for all: I like you. You are a stand-up guy who worked hard, played by the rules, and loves his dogs. 

But you don't get to make decisions about how other people feel, react, hatch opinions, what they read, listen to, or watch. And you do that. 
Yes! It is a big fucking deal when you do things like that. I get to say what I did about James Taylor and you DON'T get to make conclusions about my feelings regarding him and his talent. You did. Can you see the arrogance in that? Of course I react to it!
I wouldn't even bother, but this has been going on for a long time. I'm entitled to opinions and feelings. I'm NOT entitled to my own facts and you may (and should) call me when I tell lies. 

But...you're not bored yet!   Big Grin
(11-03-2017, 07:49 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 02:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:   Wonky saying it's your loss is Not at all the same as me saying you SHOULD like JT.

Oh boy. Again.
Seems so simple to me. 
Anything to settle this.

Big Grin I guess not. Keep trying to make a point. Not going to happen. I'll give it up now.
(11-03-2017, 07:54 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 07:49 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 04:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Oh boy. Again.
Seems so simple to me. 
Anything to settle this.

Big Grin I guess not. Keep trying to make a point. Not going to happen. I'll give it up now.

Well, you made your point. It happened.
(11-02-2017, 06:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 05:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think this is awesome.

I love bluegrass. This guy has a James Taylor like voice.

I like it as well... even forwarded it on to my Daddy!  Thanks, TVg!
(11-02-2017, 07:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:56 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Yes, it would be your loss.

Well Cuzz, I said as much so I wonder about your comment.

Whats the matter? I agreed with you.   Neutral

Review this.
What am I missing here?

[Image: 1370.gif]
(11-04-2017, 08:52 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Well Cuzz, I said as much so I wonder about your comment.

Whats the matter? I agreed with you.   Neutral

Review this.
What am I missing here?

[Image: 1370.gif]
Point taken, Scrapper. I think. I'm guessing what you want to suggest here is exasperation. It looks that is what Judge Judy is expressing so I guess you want to pass that along. 
I wonder if you have followed this thread? 
Suppose you encourage me to try French onion soup and I tell you I've tasted it and just don't enjoy the flavor or texture. But, you have said you REALLY enjoy it, and again, want me to try it. 
I don't want to be dismissive and tell you I just think French onion soup is not a bit good, so I acknowledge that your taste is fine and say simply "It's my loss" that I don't enjoy it. I say "it's my loss" because I don't want to suggest that because you like it and I don't, it somehow says something negative about YOUR taste. I want to be courteous. 

Now. Suppose in reply you tell me (again!) "yes, it really is your loss" and you go on to explain in some detail why French onion soup is among the best soups ever made and it's difficult for you to understand what it is about me that keeps me from enjoying the taste and texture of French onion soup. 

At this point I might say, I really don't think continuing the conversation about the soup is going to change anything and I'm feeling like you are trying to tell me that if I don't like the soup there is something about my taste that is haywire and maybe I should eat it often until I learn to enjoy it. It's not the soup after all, it's my inability to learn to enjoy the soup. My taste, that I've expressed several times, does not seem important in the discussion. 

Doesn't matter that I have tasted it and don't enjoy it. My taste is somehow not valid because millions of people enjoy French onion soup. I said "it's my loss" because I did not want to be rude or tell you that I simply can't understand how you can enjoy French onion soup. 

Should I be exasperated?  Smiling