Music
I'd have to give "Over The Rainbow" to Jerry Lee Lewis.
I don't like THE WIZARD OF OZ version at all...
I love the original Judy Garland. Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole's version is wonderful too, a great interpretation of the song.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I[/youtube]
Juniper Wrote:I love the original Judy Garland. Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole's version is wonderful too, a great interpretation of the song.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I[/youtube]

Juniper,
I was wondering about the end of this video... Did the singer die and those were his ashes?
Quote:I was wondering about the end of this video... Did the singer die and those were his ashes?

Yes he died and yes that was his send off.

Hey Wonky and Janice... Eva did indeed have a flawless voice.her slowed down version of over the rainbow is just not for me. I still like IZ's the best.

Here is his version of What a wonderful world.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0xoMhCT-7A[/youtube]

Israel Kamakawiwoʻole

Born May 20, 1959(1959-05-20)
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Origin Hawaii, USA
Died June 26, 1997(1997-06-26) (aged 38)
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Genres Hawaiian
Occupations Musician, singer-songwriter
Instruments Ukulele, vocals
Labels Big Boy
Mountain Apple
Associated acts Makaha Sons of Niʻihau

Israel "IZ" KaÊ»anoÊ»i KamakawiwoÊ»ole (Hawaiian pronunciation: [kaË?makaË?Ê?iwoË?Ê?ole]; May 20, 1959 â?? June 26, 1997) was a Hawaiian musician.

He became famous outside Hawaii when his album Facing Future was released in 1993. His medley of "Over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World" was subsequently featured in several films, television programs, and commercials.

Through his ukulele playing and incorporation of other genres (such as jazz and reggae), Kamakawiwoʻole remains one of the major influences in Hawaiian music over the course of 15 years.[1]
Bob Dylan. The final lines are some of my favorites, but the whole song is good poetry.

Positively 4th Street

You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning

You got a lotta nerve
To say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on
The side thatâ??s winning

You say I let you down
You know itâ??s not like that
If youâ??re so hurt
Why then donâ??t you show it

You say you lost your faith
But thatâ??s not where itâ??s at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it

I know the reason
That you talk behind my back
I used to be among the crowd
Youâ??re in with

Do you take me for such a fool
To think Iâ??d make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he donâ??t know to begin with

You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, â??How are you?â? â??Good luckâ?
But you donâ??t mean it

When you know as well as me
Youâ??d rather see me paralyzed
Why donâ??t you just come out once
And scream it

No, I do not feel that good
When I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief
Perhaps Iâ??d rob them

And now I know youâ??re dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Donâ??t you understand
Itâ??s not my problem

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
Youâ??d know what a drag it is
To see you

Copyright  1965 by Warner Bros. Inc.; renewed 1993 by Special Rider Music

There does not seem to be a Dylan version available, so here is a good cover of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnMUEvMijHY[/youtube]
Sheryl Crow Live. Now That You're Gone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ickCJN2B ... re=related
I love the new Elton John/Leon Russell CD. I'm sure tvguy will say I have no taste.
APPLEGATE Wrote:I love the new Elton John/Leon Russell CD. I'm sure tvguy will say I have no taste.
tvguy has no taste. why would you worry.?
Larry Wrote:Bob Dylan. The final lines are some of my favorites, but the whole song is good poetry.

Positively 4th Street

You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning

You got a lotta nerve
To say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on
The side thatâ??s winning

You say I let you down
You know itâ??s not like that
If youâ??re so hurt
Why then donâ??t you show it

You say you lost your faith
But thatâ??s not where itâ??s at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it

I know the reason
That you talk behind my back
I used to be among the crowd
Youâ??re in with

Do you take me for such a fool
To think Iâ??d make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he donâ??t know to begin with

You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, â??How are you?â? â??Good luckâ?
But you donâ??t mean it

When you know as well as me
Youâ??d rather see me paralyzed
Why donâ??t you just come out once
And scream it

No, I do not feel that good
When I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief
Perhaps Iâ??d rob them

And now I know youâ??re dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Donâ??t you understand
Itâ??s not my problem

I wish that for just one time
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
Youâ??d know what a drag it is
To see you

Copyright  1965 by Warner Bros. Inc.; renewed 1993 by Special Rider Music

There does not seem to be a Dylan version available, so here is a good cover of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnMUEvMijHY[/youtube]

Great lyric!
I've always regretted that I did not follow Dillon "in the day". I really should do some retro looking into his stuff. Glad you posted this.
Okay, consider this:

A genie pops out of a lamp and offers you one of these choices.

Without any effort on your part you will be fluent in 8 languages.
Or,
Without a learning, you will be proficient, indeed a master, of any musical instrument of your choice.

I'd miss out on both 'cause I'd go insane trying to choose. But music would be so very tempting...
Not me wonk. I would go for the eight languages without a second thought.

You know where this lyric is from right. "You dont really care for music do you"

How about this one: "It's just that the moon is full. And you happened to call"

If you answer correctly, you could win a trip to beautiful downtown Grants Pass. No cheating
[quote="cletus1"]Not me wonk. I would go for the eight languages without a second thought.

You know where this lyric is from right. "You dont really care for music do you"

If you answer correctly, you could win a trip to beautiful downtown Grants Pass. No cheating[/quote

I fail.
I know "You don't care for music do ya" is from a Leonard Cohen song. (Dance me to the end of love?)

The "moon" lyric I don't know. But, sounds like I should. I'll look it up later.

Now for you: All from the same writer.
"You with the rings on your fingers and time on your hands"
"The goin' up was worth the comin' down"
"You show me your's hon, and I'll show you mine' (Emotions).
"Nightmares are somebody's daydreams, daydreams are somebody's lies. Lies ain't no harder than tellin' the truth....And truth is the perfect disguise.
"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to loose"
"Tired of spendin' Sunday's wishin' they was Monday's, sittin' in this park alone"
"Put on my cleanest dirty shirt..."
and one of my favorite lines from any song:
"I'd rather be sorry for somethin' I've done, that for something that I never did". And that goes for ridin' bikes too!
APPLEGATE Wrote:I love the new Elton John/Leon Russell CD. I'm sure tvguy will say I have no taste.

Why would I say that? And don't listen to BBQ , he thinks "taste" applies only to food and he posts crappy David Bowie videos Razz

answer ... Joan Baez
Wonky Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Not me wonk. I would go for the eight languages without a second thought.

If you answer correctly, you could win a trip to beautiful downtown Grants Pass. No cheating[/quote

I fail.
I know "You don't care for music do ya" is from a Leonard Cohen song. (Dance me to the end of love?)

The "moon" lyric I don't know. But, sounds like I should. I'll look it up later.

Now for you: All from the same writer.
"You with the rings on your fingers and time on your hands"
"The goin' up was worth the comin' down"
"You show me your's hon, and I'll show you mine' (Emotions).
"Nightmares are somebody's daydreams, daydreams are somebody's lies. Lies ain't no harder than tellin' the truth....And truth is the perfect disguise.
"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to loose"
"Tired of spendin' Sunday's wishin' they was Monday's, sittin' in this park alone"
"Put on my cleanest dirty shirt..."
and one of my favorite lines from any song:
"I'd rather be sorry for somethin' I've done, that for something that I never did". And that goes for ridin' bikes too!
You get partial credit on both. The fist lyric was from Leonard Cohen, but the song is Hallelujah. Right again about Joan Baez. The song is Diamonds and Rust.

Years ago Leon Russell put out an album titled Hank Wilson's back that was so good! Mostly country music, but with his own kind of sound applied. His take on The Night Life the best I've heard.

Never much of an Elton John fan, but millions of folks can't be wrong. One of those things were I can recognize his "genius" without embracing his sound.
cletus1 Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Not me wonk. I would go for the eight languages without a second thought.

I fail.

...SNIP...
You get partial credit on both. The fist lyric was from Leonard Cohen, but the song is Hallelujah. Right again about Joan Baez. The song is Diamonds and Rust.

Really I don't get credit: I didn't Mention Ms. Baez and did not know of the song. I think L. Cohen is a genus and Hallelujah one of his best.
I watched the stage musical of LES MISERABLES tonight. Great story.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIw0ewEsNHs[/youtube]
It's been a few years since I saw The Wilsons on The Opry. I did a double take over that. But then, I saw Gillian Welch on The Opry, whippin' Dubya until he bled.