?? Skype ??
I'm looking for an inexpensive way to stay in touch Eyebrows with my guy Big Grin while I'm in Mexico. Laughing So to speak. Wink Laughing Any who... considering using Skype. Anyone have any experience using Skype internationally? Trying to figure it all out and I'm finding it confusing. I don't want to purchase Mexican Skype Credit if I don't need to. Not sure if I purchase American Skype Credit that it will be good from Mexico to call USA.

Also... open to other ideas. We're with Verizon and I can temporarily change my account to an international plan, but it's spendy. Ideas?
Why don't you just use something like Yahoo Instant Messenger and do it for free?
(01-31-2014, 07:27 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Why don't you just use something like Yahoo Instant Messenger and do it for free?

Can't call each other with that, can you? We would like to be able to 'talk'. With Skype I can call his cell phone.
skype works well as long as you have a high speed connect.
Also watch out, they always seem to try and get you to pay for their service.
You only need to pay if your trying to call a land line.
(01-31-2014, 07:31 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 07:27 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Why don't you just use something like Yahoo Instant Messenger and do it for free?

Can't call each other with that, can you? We would like to be able to 'talk'. With Skype I can call his cell phone.

I've used Google Talk to make phone calls free, but I don't know if it works the same way internationally.
(01-31-2014, 07:32 AM)chuck white Wrote: skype works well as long as you have a high speed connect.

So... you don't need to buy credit to call a cell phone? Just if you're calling a land line? The resort does have free Wi-Fi.
(01-31-2014, 07:35 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 07:32 AM)chuck white Wrote: skype works well as long as you have a high speed connect.

So... you don't need to buy credit to call a cell phone? Just if you're calling a land line? The resort does have free Wi-Fi.

ya cell phone too.

the computer to computer is free.
The people at Verizon said that I should keep my cell phone on "Airplane Mode" unless I am in a position to connect to Wi-Fi. Otherwise my phone could decide to do updates or who knows what and using the data internationally is crazy expensive. I have a 4 gig per month data plan... but I guess that doesn't count with international roaming. So I thought I could just take my phone off of "Airplane Mode" while at the resort and hook up to their Wi-Fi... then use Skype or something else. In an emergency we will be able to call to/from our room... but I don't want to do that just to chit chat.
I suppose another idea would be to purchase a cheap pay-as-you-go Mexican cell phone? I don't know!!!! It's making me crazy(er)!!!! Blink
You should ask this on a more international forum. City Data maybe?
(01-31-2014, 09:25 AM)Valuesize Wrote: You should ask this on a more international forum. City Data maybe?

Thanks. I'll look into it.
(01-31-2014, 09:35 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 09:25 AM)Valuesize Wrote: You should ask this on a more international forum. City Data maybe?

You might ask these folks. I have always received good info from Tripadvisor forums. The link is to the Acapulco forum and they are discussing Skype. They have a Cabo San Lucas forum too. Smiling

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15...Coast.html
(01-31-2014, 10:10 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 09:35 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

You might ask these folks. I have always received good info from Tripadvisor forums. The link is to the Acapulco forum and they are discussing Skype. They have a Cabo San Lucas forum too. Smiling

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15...Coast.html

Thanks! Thumbs Up
Just in case anyone is interested... I posed the question to my Saint Martin-Sint Maarten loving crew and got some great answers! Big Grin

Quote:Karen
When hubby was in China we used Yahoo skype it worked well.

Dave
Skype is great, just need a wireless connection to the internet. The cost for calling the us is very cheap, I think about 8 cents per minute. Just need to be able to access the internet and you are good. I do it from SXM all the time.

Tom
Skype even worked on the crummy internet at Club O last June. I bought the US-only plan, fixed monthly cost.

Vicki
As long as you have direct connect internet or a strong WiFi, it won't make a diff if you are there or in the US. Use it... it's great and if you call people who also have Skype, the calls are free.

Bruce
Skype all the way, just put 10.00 worth of minutes if you are calling landline phones, if you are doing skype to Skype it's free

Philippe
used skype in mexico to call USA and SXM it's all good!

Tara
My brother used it to call Myrtle Beach from Cabo and it worked fine....no problems...it's all good.
Actually, if your going to use Skype on a computer to computer connection from mexico, you need to send $10 to the Chuck White skype fund. care of Rouge Vally Forum.
Rouge Valley, is that where the men have rosy faces?
(01-31-2014, 02:20 PM)chuck white Wrote: Actually, if your going to use Skype on a computer to computer connection from mexico, you need to send $10 to the Chuck White skype fund. care of Rouge Vally Forum.

Luckily we're planning on using Skype cell phone to cell phone! Big Grin
(01-31-2014, 02:33 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Rouge Valley, is that where the men have rosy palms?

There. Fixed that for ya! Evil Big Grin Laughing Laughing
What an odd place to use rouge.