"Duty" - Bob Gates Book
I've just started "Duty", the Robert Gates book getting so much hype. Only into a couple of chapters but notice what seems to me (at this point) some glaring half-truths. Maybe he will clear this up as it goes along. I hope so…I've long admired what I know of the man.

If anyone else is reading it (or has finished it) I'd be interested in a kind of "book club" chatter about it to compare notes.

The guy certainly has been at the table for lots of recent history. Looking forward to discovering the worth of the book.
While the black guy was asking The World, "Can't we all get along", Robert Gates turned to his attaché, and asked "Is my tie straight?".
(02-04-2014, 02:02 PM)illcommandante Wrote: While the black guy was asking The World, "Can't we all get along", Robert Gates turned to his attaché, and asked "Is my tie straight?".

Time, some things, and some people never change.

I'll buy you lunch if you can verify that quote.

"Daryl" Gates, a LA police chief may have said it.

Goggle "Duty"…avoid embarrassment. And read it, you might learn a bit.
Can I smoke in here Can I sit down
Am I bothering you Are you alone
Is my tie on straight Do you rate me polite
Do I need a shave Do I seem alright
Names don't matter mine's Kash Buk No it's true
Go ahead and laugh it's good for you
What's that you're drinking I like your smile you know
Hey Mister Bartender please don't be so slow
I think we got a lot in common
That's my brand wouldn't trade it for the world
We're about the same age on the outside
Inside I'm a thousand years old
Is this your room I can't do 60 like I once could
Bet you didn't know I was that hot
You didn't know I was that good
You got nothing to fear can I smoke in here?

Rye Cooder
(02-04-2014, 10:07 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Can I smoke in here Can I sit down
Am I bothering you Are you alone
Is my tie on straight Do you rate me polite
Do I need a shave Do I seem alright
Names don't matter mine's Kash Buk No it's true
Go ahead and laugh it's good for you
What's that you're drinking I like your smile you know
Hey Mister Bartender please don't be so slow
I think we got a lot in common
That's my brand wouldn't trade it for the world
We're about the same age on the outside
Inside I'm a thousand years old
Is this your room I can't do 60 like I once could
Bet you didn't know I was that hot
You didn't know I was that good
You got nothing to fear can I smoke in here?

Rye Cooder

Cooder is a genius! Love his stuff.
Just don't have squat to do with Robert Gates.
Notice the Topic?
Oh,…forgot; it's you Ponder.
Never mind Rain Man.
(02-02-2014, 12:21 AM)Wonky Wrote: I've just started "Duty", the Robert Gates book getting so much hype. Only into a couple of chapters but notice what seems to me (at this point) some glaring half-truths. Maybe he will clear this up as it goes along. I hope so…I've long admired what I know of the man.

If anyone else is reading it (or has finished it) I'd be interested in a kind of "book club" chatter about it to compare notes.

The guy certainly has been at the table for lots of recent history. Looking forward to discovering the worth of the book.

Half truths according to who? You? Care to explain?
(02-05-2014, 11:28 AM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 12:21 AM)Wonky Wrote: I've just started "Duty", the Robert Gates book getting so much hype. Only into a couple of chapters but notice what seems to me (at this point) some glaring half-truths. Maybe he will clear this up as it goes along. I hope so…I've long admired what I know of the man.

I can try SF.

Page 20: "I think mainly because they thought that I, as a member of the Iraq Study Group, would embrace…."
Now, do a Google search (WiKI for instance) and look at the names on that study group. His is not there. He even talks later about his interactions with Sandra Day O'Connor and others on that group".

It's a little thing. Perhaps later he explains it for all I know. It just raised a red flag and I commented about the "half truth". I would not want to discourage you from reading the book because of my comments.

I've been sidetracked and haven't been keeping up with the reading. I hope to get back to it soon. As I mentioned above, I've admired the man for a long time.
(02-05-2014, 04:19 PM)Wonky Wrote:

I can try SF.

Page 20: "I think mainly because they thought that I, as a member of the Iraq Study Group, would embrace…."
Now, do a Google search (WiKI for instance) and look at the names on that study group. His is not there. He even talks later about his interactions with Sandra Day O'Connor and others on that group".

It's a little thing. Perhaps later he explains it for all I know. It just raised a red flag and I commented about the "half truth". I would not want to discourage you from reading the book because of my comments.

I've been sidetracked and haven't been keeping up with the reading. I hope to get back to it soon. As I mentioned above, I've admired the man for a long time.

Gates was a member. From Google:

Quote:Robert Gates, former U.S. Secretary of Defense and former Director of Central Intelligence, resigned from the panel after he was nominated for Secretary of Defense on November 8. He was replaced by Lawrence Eagleburger.[7]
(02-05-2014, 05:16 PM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(02-05-2014, 04:19 PM)Wonky Wrote:

I can try SF.

Gates was a member. From Google:

Quote:Robert Gates, former U.S. Secretary of Defense and former Director of Central Intelligence, resigned from the panel after he was nominated for Secretary of Defense on November 8. He was replaced by Lawrence Eagleburger.[7]

Well I'm embarrassed.
Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Study_Group
And from that:
The ISG was led by co-chairs James Baker, a former Secretary of State (Republican), and Lee H. Hamilton, a former U.S. Representative (Democrat).

Republicans[edit]
In addition to Baker, the panel's Republican members were:

Sandra Day O'Connor, former Supreme Court Justice
Lawrence Eagleburger, former Secretary of State
Edwin Meese III, former US Attorney General
Alan K. Simpson, former U.S. Senator from Wyoming
Democrats[edit]
In addition to Hamilton, the panel's Democratic members were:

Vernon Jordan, Jr., business executive
Leon Panetta, former White House Chief of Staff
William J. Perry, former US Secretary of Defense
Charles S. Robb, former Governor and U.S. Senator from Virginia

By the way, could you provide me the Google link you listed. I'd be curious.
Link I found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Study_Group
Wonky. Charger posted the link that I found.
I think that's the same link Wonky posted.
(02-05-2014, 06:15 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: Wonky. Charger posted the link that I found.

Okay, NOW I am confused. (More than usual even)

But I think i've Sherlock'd the thing.

That link listed the LEADERS of the Study Group. Later in that piece (or maybe on another site I checked) it was reported that there were over 75 people involved in the group, and odds are Mr. Gates was on of those, not one of the "leaders".

Still, during his hearing before congress for Secratary of Defense it would have been a feather in his cap to have been part of that group.

Looks like I rushed to judgement. But, I swear the way it reads in the book he was rubbing elbows with the leaders on a daily basis and was a "leader".

Better I should complete the thing and report back. (Have been feeling "just a tad down" and not reading much. Back at it soon. As a lucky retired guy, reading is my life and I feel very lucky to have this time.
(02-05-2014, 07:09 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-05-2014, 06:15 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: Wonky. Charger posted the link that I found.

That link listed the LEADERS of the Study Group. Later in that piece (or maybe on another site I checked) it was reported that there were over 75 people involved in the group, and odds are Mr. Gates was on of those, not one of the "leaders".

Still, during his hearing before congress for Secratary of Defense it would have been a feather in his cap to have been part of that group.

Looks like I rushed to judgement. But, I swear the way it reads in the book he was rubbing elbows with the leaders on a daily basis and was a "leader".

Better I should complete the thing and report back. (Have been feeling "just a tad down" and not reading much. Back at it soon. As a lucky retired guy, reading is my life and I feel very lucky to have this time.

At least no matter the weather you get your exercise, jumping to conclusions.
(02-05-2014, 07:47 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(02-05-2014, 07:09 PM)Wonky Wrote:

At least no matter the weather you get your exercise, jumping to conclusions.

Come on OL, to say I "jumped to conclusions" is a bit harsh. I already admitted I "rushed to judgement" but that's gotta be a lesser evil.
From my perspective the important thing is to finally get it right. Like the call a home plate.