Indoctrinators Strike
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=22399673

School's out for Thousands; Oregon Teachers Strike

More than 13,000 students were out of school Thursday —and likely will remain so through Monday— after teachers in southern Oregon's largest district went on strike.

The walkout Thursday in the Medford School District occurred after all-night bargaining yielded no results. No new talks are scheduled until Saturday, and the district has canceled classes through Monday. If no deal is reached, the district plans to reopen schools Tuesday with substitute teachers and shorter hours.

with a graduation rate of 68%, these "teachers" should not be paid at all. Better yet fire em all and home school your kids if you care about them.
Evidently 100K+ a yr in salary/benefits for a job that lets you take summers off is not enough for the teachers.....oh wait, it's all about the kids, that's right Rolling Eyes

I'm glad it's raining just in time for the strike.
There actual class time equals about 6 months on the job.
(02-07-2014, 09:01 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: There actual class time equals about 6 months on the job.

Class time is only part of their job. I have friends who are teachers. I don't know if all teachers are as dedicated to their job as they are, but I'd guess most are. They begin work before students arrive, finnish at least an hour after students have left and work at home grading papers for at least an hour.
(02-07-2014, 10:17 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 09:01 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: There actual class time equals about 6 months on the job.

Class time is only part of their job. I have friends who are teachers. I don't know if all teachers are as dedicated to their job as they are, but I'd guess most are. They begin work before students arrive, finnish at least an hour after students have left and work at home grading papers for at least an hour.

Exactly!

I do have to add though... that IF the graduation rate is REALLY just 68%... there's a HUGE problem!
(02-07-2014, 10:25 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Exactly!

I do have to add though... that IF the graduation rate is REALLY just 68%... there's a HUGE problem!

The huge problem rests with the uninvolved parents in most cases.

Don't forget the weekends making lesson plans, finding teaching materials, trying to learn about new methods of teaching that might actually increase the graduation rates and seeing if there are ways to work that into their state-mandated curriculum.
Crying
How many hours do educators really work?
http://www.edtechmagazine.com/k12/articl...ually-work

[Image: teachers-dont-work-hard-enough-think-again.png]
You can't just look at salary, you have to look at the entire benefits package. Jackson county teachers were offered a very fair deal, period. With exception of the mail tribune, most local media outlets have done a horrible job of reporting the facts. The teachers and the teachers union should be ashamed of themselves.

The Mail Tribune summed it up nicely:
Teachers have not been offered a bad deal financially. They are fairly paid, have pensions and superior health insurance benefits, have 14 weeks of time off — not counting holidays — and a large majority still have an early retirement benefit, even if it's not the one they want. The cries of financial deprivation just don't ring true.

Entire editorial: http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../OPINION02
brick and mortar schools will be obsolete one day anyway. With a 3 year old laptop and internet connectivity, a stay at home kid can beat the odds and have a good career later on in life. See http://www.k12.com/ If you have kids in the Medford area you can sign them up at http://www.k12local.com/d9 . Teacher unions are trying to stop this and spewing all sorts of fake statistics to scare parents not to do this. But if they really wanted to help children learn, why go on strike and hurt the children? You can't have it both ways. And how dare they use children as pawns in negotiation. That is morally and ethically wrong, it makes me sick. I know this is just my anecdotal observation, but the smartest kids in my neighborhood are homeschool.
I haven't paid any attention to the strike, what's being asked for, what they're getting now, or what's being offered. I just want to clear up this misconception about "how little teachers work" and "how much time off" they have. It's bullcrap.
(02-07-2014, 12:13 PM)csrowan Wrote: I haven't paid any attention to the strike, what's being asked for, what they're getting now, or what's being offered. I just want to clear up this misconception about "how little teachers work" and "how much time off" they have. It's bullcrap.

So lets clear up another misconception, teachers PICKED their job KNOWING what it was and its benefits and pitfalls. If it wasn't enough then, it probably will never be enough.

Simple question, how many taxpayers does it take to meet the salary and benefits of just 1 teacher?

SOME are there before students arrive. SOME finish an hour after the students have left. Even if they are there an hour before and an hour after. They have over a month of paid vacation DURING the school year with Christmas Vacation, Spring Break, and various other holidays/school closures. Then, three more months off in the summer.

Don't get me started on "in service days". Drive by a school on an 'in service day' and there will be a handful of cars there.

And they want paid benefits on top of that. Half of the teachers that I've come across with my son are extremely overpaid.

Four months off a year and they cry "We work long hours"

Even IF the teachers spent one hour grading papers at home EVERY school day of the year it would work out to be about 170 hours, or one month of work for the rest of us (40 hours a week x 52 weeks a year / 12 months = 173 hours a month). They are STILL GETTNG THREE MONTHS OFF, PAID.

They are so burdened.

I would have more respect for them if they went on strike when there was a curriculum change that they disagreed with. That would show that they care about the students. Some of the shit (lattice method multiplication for one) they've tried to teach is absolutely ridiculous.
(02-07-2014, 11:16 AM)csrowan Wrote: How many hours do educators really work?

8 hours standard day huh? School begins at 8am and gets out at 3pm at GPHS. I'm no teacher but I'm counting 7 hours. Correct me if I'm wrong. In that time is a lunch period. Also a 'prep' period (YES, a period with no students for them to grade papers and prep)...

There is one teacher that my son has that I have emailed four separate times this year and I've gotten ONE response from, that was on the fourth email and only after I asked if I should contact the administration due to lack of a response from the teacher. Surprise, immediate response.

Watching the Medford Union rep on the news yesterday morning she must be some type of politician. She completely avoided answering the anchors question when the news anchor asked "why the union thinks it's right for the teachers to have their insurance premiums completely paid for while most people in the private sector don't", didn't answer, just went to another subject.
(02-07-2014, 03:32 PM)BeerMe Wrote: 8 hours standard day huh? School begins at 8am and gets out at 3pm at GPHS. I'm no teacher but I'm counting 7 hours. Correct me if I'm wrong. In that time is a lunch period. Also a 'prep' period (YES, a period with no students for them to grade papers and prep)...

That's why I also linked to the article that went along with the infographic.

Quote:In addition to a full day in front of the classroom (the graphic pegs the average school day at eight hours), teachers are expected to arrive at school at least an hour before school begins, and many stay an average of three to five hours beyond the traditional school day for meetings, grading, and other administrative or volunteer activities.
(02-07-2014, 10:54 AM)csrowan Wrote:

Don't forget the weekends making lesson plans, finding teaching materials, trying to learn about new methods of teaching that might actually increase the graduation rates and seeing if there are ways to work that into their state-mandated curriculum.
All of the hard work has moved them up from D- to D, when it comes to their rating. I suggest teachers retire, and leave the teaching to the breeders of the offspring.
http://www.oregonlive.com/education/inde...venes.html
Oregon got a D for teacher effectiveness Thursday from the National Council on Teacher Quality, which dinged the state for not having stronger rules stating that ineffective teachers can't get tenure and should be fired.

The grade represented an improvement from the D- the same group gave Oregon last year. The D puts Oregon in a seven-way tie for No. 40 on the council's teacher quality policies list.
(02-07-2014, 03:32 PM)BeerMe Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 11:16 AM)csrowan Wrote: How many hours do educators really work?

8 hours standard day huh? School begins at 8am and gets out at 3pm at GPHS. I'm no teacher but I'm counting 7 hours. Correct me if I'm wrong. In that time is a lunch period. Also a 'prep' period (YES, a period with no students for them to grade papers and prep)...

There is one teacher that my son has that I have emailed four separate times this year and I've gotten ONE response from, that was on the fourth email and only after I asked if I should contact the administration due to lack of a response from the teacher. Surprise, immediate response.

Watching the Medford Union rep on the news yesterday morning she must be some type of politician. She completely avoided answering the anchors question when the news anchor asked "why the union thinks it's right for the teachers to have their insurance premiums completely paid for while most people in the private sector don't", didn't answer, just went to another subject.

A $12,000,000.00 dollar difference between the district and the union. If the teachers really put their kids first they would ask for that money to go into the classrooms to cover what we parents now pay for. They want a raise, then next year we will have to shell out hundreds of dollars per student to our kids classes to cover what the district doesn't.

82% of the education budget for the state of Oregon goes solely to salaries, benefits, and retirement payments.
(02-07-2014, 03:38 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 03:32 PM)BeerMe Wrote: 8 hours standard day huh? School begins at 8am and gets out at 3pm at GPHS. I'm no teacher but I'm counting 7 hours. Correct me if I'm wrong. In that time is a lunch period. Also a 'prep' period (YES, a period with no students for them to grade papers and prep)...

That's why I also linked to the article that went along with the infographic.

Quote:In addition to a full day in front of the classroom (the graphic pegs the average school day at eight hours), teachers are expected to arrive at school at least an hour before school begins, and many stay an average of three to five hours beyond the traditional school day for meetings, grading, and other administrative or volunteer activities.

I challenge you to go to ANY school and find a teacher who stays at school 3 hours after school unless they are REQUIRED to for an activity. And on a daily basis, bullshit. They need to stop saying "many" and replace with "few".

You can reference your link to 'edtech' a magazine geared TOWARDS educators. They definitely aren't going to say it's an easy job, that would go against the propaganda.

I know my work day is from 8-5. That's my eight hour work day. I challenge you to find a teacher still at school past 3:30pm on a Friday.
Hell, I could find a number of my high school teachers still at school for at least an hour most days.

It says "many" because there are "many". They may not stay three to five hours EVERY day, but they do it regularly enough to add up a number of hours on top of the regular school day plus the hour before school plus all the time spent at home.

And that's not counting the month they spend before school starts, coming in and getting everything ready, training, meeting. They don't get the full summer vacation that your kids do.

And don't forget paying for their own continuing education during that summer "vacation". Not all of them, but certainly a number of them. Oh, yeah... and writing a year's worth of lesson plans during their "vacation".