Hey Oregunlover, I want a new gun
I want a new gun.
One that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my car
Or make me feel three feet thick Razz

So the Rugar SR9 that I bought last year doesn't work right. It stovepipes when trying to eject the shells. )r they bounce off the top of my head.
I told them about it where I bought it and they said no prob they would send it back to Rugar.
But now I'm thinking I don't want the damn thing fixed. I want a different gun. Screw them, they had their chance. I could have been killed because THEIR gun doesn't work!
So I think I want a Glock or a Sig sauer . I want to stay with a 9mm because I think a larger caliber will make ammo cost more.
What do you think?
(02-08-2014, 10:27 AM)tvguy Wrote: I want a new gun.

<Snip>
I want to stay with a 9mm because I think a larger caliber will make ammo cost more.
What do you think?

Shoot blanks.
That's too bad about your ruger SR9, I am a big Ruger fan and have never had any trouble with them before.
I've been wanting to pick up one of the SR22's, for a cheap plinker but they were constantly sold out in GP and Medford, granted that was a couple months ago when I last tried to find one.
There is more than one reason for a stove pipe. Clean it thoroughly, try a new magazine, does it do it with all ammo or just a certain brand, but all it takes is one stove pipe in an emergency and yes you could be dead. I have browning high powers, had hks', tokarevs, etc. I'm in the process of getting a few glock model 19s because they are a bit more compact than the 17, but will take model 17 magazines if I prefer to carry a few extra rounds. Never been a glock guy since we had bought 8 to resell and they all came back broke back in the early 90s. Things have changed since then and with the popularity of glock, if I need parts they are always readily available. $500.00 at sportsmans, then get a set of trijicon night sights on it for another $93.00 at boenigs and bingo, you're shitting in tall cotton.
(02-08-2014, 10:36 AM)GPnative Wrote: That's too bad about your ruger SR9, I am a big Ruger fan and have never had any trouble with them before.

Well they have a great rep but it kind of pisses me off to get one that doesn't work right when I've purchased two in the last year. I bought a Russian makarov 9x18 20 years ago and I don't think it's EVER jammed on me.
I'm even thinking about getting a Rugar revolver, not sureSmiling
(02-08-2014, 10:53 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-08-2014, 10:36 AM)GPnative Wrote: That's too bad about your ruger SR9, I am a big Ruger fan and have never had any trouble with them before.

Well they have a great rep but it kind of pisses me off to get one that doesn't work right when I've purchased two in the last year. I bought a Russian makarov 9x18 20 years ago and I don't think it's EVER jammed on me.

When you rack the first round do you let the bolt slam back?

Well that would resolve your jamming issues Big Grin
(02-08-2014, 10:52 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: There is more than one reason for a stove pipe. Clean it thoroughly, try a new magazine, does it do it with all ammo or just a certain brand, but all it takes is one stove pipe in an emergency and yes you could be dead. I have browning high powers, had hks', tokarevs, etc. I'm in the process of getting a few glock model 19s because they are a bit more compact than the 17, but will take model 17 magazines if I prefer to carry a few extra rounds. Never been a glock guy since we had bought 8 to resell and they all came back broke back in the early 90s. Things have changed since then and with the popularity of glock, if I need parts they are always readily available. $500.00 at sportsmans, then get a set of trijicon night sights on it for another $93.00 at boenigs and bingo, you're shitting in tall cotton.

I did clean it after the first time it failed. So the next time I shot the pistol it worked perfectly. At that time I thought it was OK and just needed a break in? but the last time I shot fired the gun it did it again.
I didn't think about the magazine being the problem. I could be that. I don't think I care at this point.

So are you recommending the Glock 18 gen 4 ?
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/4775...-pipe.html

Check this out tv. You aren't the only one.
(02-08-2014, 11:03 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-08-2014, 10:52 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: There is more than one reason for a stove pipe. Clean it thoroughly, try a new magazine, does it do it with all ammo or just a certain brand, but all it takes is one stove pipe in an emergency and yes you could be dead. I have browning high powers, had hks', tokarevs, etc. I'm in the process of getting a few glock model 19s because they are a bit more compact than the 17, but will take model 17 magazines if I prefer to carry a few extra rounds. Never been a glock guy since we had bought 8 to resell and they all came back broke back in the early 90s. Things have changed since then and with the popularity of glock, if I need parts they are always readily available. $500.00 at sportsmans, then get a set of trijicon night sights on it for another $93.00 at boenigs and bingo, you're shitting in tall cotton.

I did clean it after the first time it failed. So the next time I shot the pistol it worked perfectly. At that time I thought it was OK and just needed a break in? but the last time I shot fired the gun it did it again.
I didn't think about the magazine being the problem. I could be that. I don't think I care at this point.

I wish, the 18 is full auto. Model 19 9mm 3rd generation. 4th generation has tons of problems.
(02-08-2014, 10:58 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Well that would resolve your jamming issues Big Grin

"Six for Sure" by Andy Moynihan

In this modern age of the polymer frame
and the space age bottom-feeder,
With a well-made modern auto
you could trust'er if you need'er.

But should I end up in desperate straits
and need a problem-solver,
Well like the old song goes,
"That's when I reach for my revolver."

They've fallen out of favor
since the cops went to self-shuckers,
and oft my choice is met with laughs
by ign'int mother****ers.

"Why bother with that flintlock, dude,
it's way too slow to load,
with "only" those six rounds onboard,
you're toast out on that road!"

He talks of "being ready" when the nukes or zombies launch,
His shirt of camouflage still doesn't "camouflage" his paunch.

"What YOU need is the kind we've got,
this fancy automatic,
Revolvers just aren't "Tactical".
So usually goes the static.

"That all-steel monster weighs a ton
Next to these Glocks--pick any!
This one goes up to 18 rounds-
Takes out three times as many!"

Around this time the hotshot needs
Some putting in his place,
I struggle mightily to keep
the smirk from off my face.

"O Worthy Warrior", say I,
"For sure the title's fitting,
For any who can take out
18 men in just one sitting".

"But based on FBI stats
I've a sneaking premonition,
We'll be more quickly out of time
than out of ammunition."

"As far as higher round count goes,
as old school as it may be,
the saying's still the truth that
Six for Sure beats 18 maybe".

"For while 'tis true all guns, if left
uncared for, **** the bed,
That wheelgun never screws you
with a round that never fed."

"Oh, It can misfire, it can break
if you don't pay attention,
But fail-to-feeds or stovepipe jams
Doth hist'ry never mention."

"And you can leave it loaded
And you'll never have to sweat it,
Moonclips and loaders have no springs--
Just fill 'em and forget it".

"As far as quick reloading,
it's not such hard-gotten skill,
Moonclips outpace speedloaders,
and a backup's faster still".

"and speaking of that backup,
here's a bit of wisdom, tubby:
You want the world's best pocket gun?
Then don't you snub that snubby."

"For I'll concede the full size autos
have improved by much,
but their reliability
once shrunk down is nothing such".

"When in close-quarters contact,
contact shots are sheer madhattery
when you shove your auto 'gainst him
and the slide knocks out of battery".

"A snub won't have that problem
and is carried worry free,
It has no slide to get gummed up
by grit, lint, or debris".

"Now both types can be grabbed in such
a way as not to fire,
the snubby has a countermove
the auto still requires."

"And it can let all 5 shots go
from right in your coat pocket,
There ain't no faster draw than that
and ain't no Glock can rock it".

"You may see autos small enough
For pockets--there's a bunch,
they won't be this reliable,
nor pack near this much punch".

"For sure as I know anything
in all the stars and heavens,
six .380s just can't compete
with five .357s."

"And so you see, my friend, this wheelgun's
far from obsolete,
I might suggest you step back, think,
and train for what you'll meet."

Now it's still fine to say revolvers "just don't work" for thee,
But none that I have owned have EVER failed to work for me.
I don't mean to offend, and sorry if I've burst your bubbles,
but for all that men say "Obsolete"--they still dig holes with shovels.

--Andy Moynihan

For a bit more you could get an hk usp 9. Better than anything else on the market.
(02-08-2014, 11:06 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

I wish, the 18 is full auto. Model 19 9mm 3rd generation. 4th generation has tons of problems.

OK the Model 19 9mm 3rd generation is it, I'll check that out.

I looked at some used Glocks and when I went to try and check them out and see their value I got all bogged down in Gen three... gen four problem here problem there bullshit until I gave it up.
"Six For Sure" - I like it!
At the end of the day, if I could only own one or the other I'd take a DA revolver over a semi auto any day.
(02-08-2014, 11:10 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: For a bit more you could get an hk usp 9. Better than anything else on the market.

So I see they're about $800. That's OK I might go that routeBig Grin
(02-08-2014, 11:13 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I looked at some used Glocks and when I went to try and check them out and see their value I got all bogged down in Gen three... gen four problem here problem there bullshit until I gave it up.

Another reason for stovepipe with some pistols is if you limp wrist it. Glock will do this as well. That is another reason I never bought any. They do make a replacement recoil spring for that though. Little ladies have a problem with it, but not little ghetto bitches.Laughing You shouldn't shoot with the gun twisted either tv. I know it looks cool in the movies.
(02-08-2014, 11:23 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(02-08-2014, 11:13 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Another reason for stovepipe with some pistols is if you limp wrist it. Glock will do this as well. That is another reason I never bought any. They do make a replacement recoil spring for that though. Little ladies have a problem with it, but not little ghetto bitches.Laughing You shouldn't shoot with the gun twisted either tv. I know it looks cool in the movies.

Listhen here big fella, I never limp wristhed anything in my lifeRazz
(02-08-2014, 11:19 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-08-2014, 11:10 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: For a bit more you could get an hk usp 9. Better than anything else on the market.

So I see they're about $800. That's OK I might go that routeBig Grin

Browning high powers are as well built and reliable as an hk as well. I have one from occupied Belgium during Hitlers reign that was issued to an SS officer, original mags and all. I quit shooting it probably 15 years ago, but I used to shoot it all the time and never a problem, ever. Out shot cop buddies with it, which really isn't hard. My other high power is from the 80s and never has has a problem either. They gobble up anything I put in them. Tokarev was another one, never any issues. But if one is left lock and loaded the firing pin spring could break. Have heard of it a few times but never had it happen to me.

My main reason for adding glocks is availability. You would be surprised at how many people have one or more, just in your hood alone.
A hammer less snubby is a great weapon for protection, especially for a woman.