Grape Seed Shows Promise in Fight Against Bowel Cancer
Quote:"Our research also showed that in laboratory studies grape seed taken orally significantly reduced inflammation and tissue damage caused by chemotherapy in the small intestine, and had no harmful effects on non-cancerous cells. Unlike chemotherapy, grape seed appears to selectively act on cancer cells and leave healthy cells almost unaffected."
http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/...wel-cancer
It says grape seed extract. Is that grape seed oil? I like grape seed oil. Grocery Outlet had some last I looked.....
(02-14-2014, 10:49 PM)Valuesize Wrote: It says grape seed extract. Is that grape seed oil? I like grape seed oil. Grocery Outlet had some last I looked.....

I like cooking in grape seed oil over olive oil.
Just grape seed extract? The whole thing or a particular aspect of it? What chemical? What combination of molecules? By what mechanism? How and why? What bio mechanical properties does it exibit and what do they do to reduce tissue damage and inflammation?

The article tells us nothing other than the fact that a hell of a lot of more research is needed, and piss poor research was done in the first place. Or at less piss poor reporting on the research.
(02-15-2014, 12:03 AM)csrowan Wrote: Just grape seed extract? The whole thing or a particular aspect of it? What chemical? What combination of molecules? By what mechanism? How and why? What bio mechanical properties does it exibit and what do they do to reduce tissue damage and inflammation?

The article tells us nothing other than the fact that a hell of a lot of more research is needed, and piss poor research was done in the first place. Or at less piss poor reporting on the research.

If they had called it 'polybicarb-tecnobabble' you would have felt more comfortable about it, but being something from a plant or herbal extract, makes it suspect.

You were truly brainwashed by 'Better living through chemistry'

[Image: ep_75_chemical_living.jpg]
(02-15-2014, 08:54 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 12:03 AM)csrowan Wrote: Just grape seed extract? The whole thing or a particular aspect of it? What chemical? What combination of molecules? By what mechanism? How and why? What bio mechanical properties does it exibit and what do they do to reduce tissue damage and inflammation?

If they had called it 'polybicarb-tecnobabble' you would have felt more comfortable about it, but being something from a plant or herbal extract, makes it suspect.

You were truly brainwashed by 'Better living through chemistry'

[Image: ep_75_chemical_living.jpg]

This 'better living through chemistry' is often derived from the natural world and put into a more accessible form. I'm grateful to be able to take an aspirin instead of chewing on a ton of willow bark.
But if they had called it 'Willow Bark Extract' instead of Aspirin, Csrowen would have questioned it.
(02-14-2014, 09:51 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:"Our research also showed that in laboratory studies grape seed taken orally significantly reduced inflammation and tissue damage caused by chemotherapy in the small intestine, and had no harmful effects on non-cancerous cells. Unlike chemotherapy, grape seed appears to selectively act on cancer cells and leave healthy cells almost unaffected."
http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/...wel-cancer

Is it pertinent that almost all the grapes sold in stores are seedless now? The grape seed extract used in this study was a byproduct of winemaking, so evidently those varieties still have seeds.
I regretfully admit I didn't read the article before, only what people had posted here (which quoted the scientists in the article). I've since read the article and found slightly more information. But the scientists really need to be more precise in their use of language. They talk about "grape seeds" when they mean "grape seed extract", which really means "tannins extracted from fermented grape seeds discarded during the winemaking process".

This is very different than "grape seed taken orally".

Tannins happen to have very strong anti-inflamitory properties, so it would come as no surprise that they might have some impact on inflammation. The scientists performed experiments to determine if there would be an impact, and what it would be.

Here's the experiment and results:

Quote:The researchers used commercially available grape seed extract, a by-product of winemaking. Tannins extracted from the grape seed were freeze-dried and powdered. The extract was tested in laboratory studies using colon cancer cells grown in culture.

The research showed grape seed extract:

showed no side effects on the healthy intestine at concentrations of up to 1000mg/kg;

significantly decreased intestinal damage compared to the chemotherapy control;

decreased chemotherapy-induced inflammation by up to 55%

increased growth-inhibitory effects of chemotherapy on colon cancer cells in culture by 26%
It's been ten years since we got scoped. My ex has to go back regular. They told me I never needed to be seen again?