State of Oregon stifles GMO measures
What the hell is going on when the state can ban a measure? Something smells rotten to me.

KTVL news

The state of Oregon has banned local measures regulating genetically modified crops, but that hasn't stopped a group in Josephine County.

continue reading

http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stor...html?wap=0
(02-21-2014, 09:36 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: What the hell is going on when the state can ban a measure? Something smells rotten to me.

KTVL news

The state of Oregon has banned local measures regulating genetically modified crops, but that hasn't stopped a group in Josephine County.

continue reading

That smell you are talking about is $$$. It always is. I don't know if banning GMO's on a local level is the way to go or not. I do wonder if there's other ways to go about it. What is the current way of determining if your food is GMO free? Is it simply that it is claimed to be organic? Does "organic" define it'self by being GMO free as well as other things?
(02-21-2014, 09:54 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-21-2014, 09:36 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: What the hell is going on when the state can ban a measure? Something smells rotten to me.

KTVL news

continue reading

That smell you are talking about is $$$. It always is. I don't know if banning GMO's on a local level is the way to go or not. I do wonder if there's other ways to go about it. What is the current way of determining if your food is GMO free? Is it simply that it is claimed to be organic? Does "organic" define it'self by being GMO free as well as other things?

100% Organic is GMO free, but you still need to pay attention to organic labeling, there is other terminology that can be used, i.e. "made with" etc, which makes allowance for remaining ingredients to be non-organic, and thus possibly GMO. Check the link for organic food labeling.

From Oregon Tilth:
http://tilth.org/certification/frequentl...sumer-faqs

What exactly are GMO's?

GMO stands for genetically modified organism, which is a plant or animal that has been modified on the genetic level to include genetic material from organisms that would not mix in nature. This is different than cross breeding and grafting, which are techniques that involve closely related species. Biotechnology companies tout the benefits of GMO crops and livestock, but some scientists have significant concerns about the future ramifications of this technology. When the USDA National Organic Program standards were being written, public comments were overwhelmingly against the allowance of GMOs. The USDA took note and the standards strictly prohibit the use of GMO crops and livestock in organic production. So when you purchase organic products, you know that this new and questionable technology was not used at any stage of production.
They are now making GMO seed's resistant to Round up ( glyphosate). So they can spray the crap all over the food we eat and it won't die, like weeds do. I for one don't want to eat Round up. Do you?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...foods.aspx
(02-21-2014, 03:34 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: They are now making GMO seed's resistant to Round up ( glyphosate). So they can spray the crap all over the food we eat and it won't die, like weeds do. I for one don't want to eat Round up. Do you?

Now?
(02-21-2014, 10:38 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-21-2014, 03:34 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: They are now making GMO seed's resistant to Round up ( glyphosate). So they can spray the crap all over the food we eat and it won't die, like weeds do. I for one don't want to eat Round up. Do you?

Now?

I don't know why I put that now in there. Up until just a few months ago I really didn't know much about GMO'S and didn't realize just how bad it was. Things are coming out about it now that's really grabbing my attention.

Reuter's

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/2...2F20130425

Then there's the bee's...
Quote:Farmers across the country are increasingly finding it difficult to kill "super weeds" as they become resistant to the most popular herbicides.

When "Roundup ready" crops became popular in the mid 1990s, farmers were enamored with the genetically-modified seeds built to withstand glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, the most popular commercial weed killer. But after years of constant exposure, certain invasive plants have also developed a resistance, leading farmers to use more of the chemical. In some cases, the weeds have grown completely tolerant to the chemical, giving farmers fits.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012...ng-farmers

For ME, the jury is still out on this one.

The EPA considers glyphosate to be noncarcinogenic and relatively low in dermal and oral acute toxicity.[19] The EPA considered a "worst case" dietary risk model of an individual eating a lifetime of food derived entirely from glyphosate-sprayed fields with residues at their maximum levels. This model indicated that no adverse health effects would be expected under such conditions.[1
(02-22-2014, 11:24 AM)tvguy Wrote:

For ME, the jury is still out on this one.

The EPA considers glyphosate to be noncarcinogenic and relatively low in dermal and oral acute toxicity.[19] The EPA considered a "worst case" dietary risk model of an individual eating a lifetime of food derived entirely from glyphosate-sprayed fields with residues at their maximum levels. This model indicated that no adverse health effects would be expected under such conditions.[1

I don't have a lot of faith in the EPA anymore. Maybe I'm paranoid. (I never used to be) I just don't trust our government when they allow this shit in our food. I know it's all about the money. But what about the humans and the bees and future generations? They're poisoning us.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...rbicide-p/
Going back to Oregon banning the measures.. Exactly what are they trying to hide? People just want labeling for GMO's. They should be able to make the choice if they want to buy it or not. Monsanto spent millions of dollars to stop Wa. State from passing the measure. They succeeded. If GMO's are so safe, why are they trying to hide what foods come from GMO'S?
(02-22-2014, 06:53 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: Going back to Oregon banning the measures.. Exactly what are they trying to hide? People just want labeling for GMO's. They should be able to make the choice if they want to buy it or not. Monsanto spent millions of dollars to stop Wa. State from passing the measure. They succeeded. If GMO's are so safe, why are they trying to hide what foods come from GMO'S?

I support labeling. I think we should be able to choose. However think about how much chaos it would create to have to enforce labeling by Counties.
(02-22-2014, 07:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-22-2014, 06:53 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: Going back to Oregon banning the measures.. Exactly what are they trying to hide? People just want labeling for GMO's. They should be able to make the choice if they want to buy it or not. Monsanto spent millions of dollars to stop Wa. State from passing the measure. They succeeded. If GMO's are so safe, why are they trying to hide what foods come from GMO'S?

I support labeling. I think we should be able to choose. However think about how much chaos it would create to have to enforce labeling by Counties.

You make a good point there. I guess if it passes it'll make a statement. Hopefully somebody is working on something on the statewide level.
(02-22-2014, 08:25 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote:
(02-22-2014, 07:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

You make a good point there. I guess if it passes it'll make a statement. Hopefully somebody is working on something on the statewide level.

It really needs to be at a National level. And I WANT that. And I don't understand why we can't have it at that level. Even at a State level, small business owners would struggle with trying to only stock labeled foods.

One way is to look at the product. If it contains corn it contains GMO.
(02-23-2014, 08:22 AM)chuck white Wrote:

That's a pretty long list.

It's not only corn. It's wheat, soybeans, sugar beets and more. Just think of the foods that have wheat and soy in them. I believe about 85% of the food has GMO.

Here are the Top 7 Genetically Modified Crops:

1. Corn: Corn is the No. 1 crop grown in the U.S. and nearly all of it -- 88 percent -- is genetically modified. In addition to being added to innumerable processed foods, genetically modified corn is a staple of animal feed.

2. Soy: 93 percent of soy is genetically modified. Soy is a staple of processed foods under various names including hydrogenated oils, lecithin, emulsifiers, tocopherol (a vitamin E supplement) and proteins.

3. Cottonseed: According to the USDA, 94 percent of cotton grown in the U.S. is genetically modified. Cottonseeds are culled from cotton, and then used for vegetable oil, margarine or shortening production, or frying foods, such as potato chips.

4. Alfalfa: Farmers feed alfalfa to dairy cows, the source of milk, butter, yogurt, meat and so much more. Alfalfa is the fourth largest crop grown in the U.S., behind corn, soybeans, and wheat (though there is no genetically engineered wheat on the market).

5. Papaya: 75 percent of the Hawaiian papaya crop is genetically modified to withstand the papaya ringspot virus.

6. Canola: About 90 percent of the U.S. canola crop is genetically modified. Canola oil is used in cooking, as well as biofuels. In North Dakota, genetically modified canola has been found growing far from any planted fields, raising questions about what will happen when "escaped" GE canola competes with wild plants.

7. Sugar Beets: More than half -- 54 percent -- of sugar sold in America comes from sugar beets. Genetically modified sugar beets account for 90 percent of the crop; however, that percentage is expected to increase after a USDA's decision last year gave the green light to sugar beet planting before an environmental impact statement was completed.

The organization True Food Now has a list of foods currently being tested for genetic modification, as well as those foods that are approved but not yet sold in the U.S. For a full snapshot of the future GMO landscape, visit this link.

Do you support a label requirement on GMO foods?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margie-kel...39455.html

It's not only corn. It's wheat, soybeans, sugar beets and more. Just think of the foods that have wheat and soy in them. I believe about 85% of the food has GMO.

Here are the Top 7 Genetically Modified Crops:

1. Corn: Corn is the No. 1 crop grown in the U.S. and nearly all of it -- 88 percent -- is genetically modified. In addition to being added to innumerable processed foods, genetically modified corn is a staple of animal feed.

2. Soy: 93 percent of soy is genetically modified. Soy is a staple of processed foods under various names including hydrogenated oils, lecithin, emulsifiers, tocopherol (a vitamin E supplement) and proteins.

3. Cottonseed: According to the USDA, 94 percent of cotton grown in the U.S. is genetically modified. Cottonseeds are culled from cotton, and then used for vegetable oil, margarine or shortening production, or frying foods, such as potato chips.

4. Alfalfa: Farmers feed alfalfa to dairy cows, the source of milk, butter, yogurt, meat and so much more. Alfalfa is the fourth largest crop grown in the U.S., behind corn, soybeans, and wheat (though there is no genetically engineered wheat on the market).

5. Papaya: 75 percent of the Hawaiian papaya crop is genetically modified to withstand the papaya ringspot virus.

6. Canola: About 90 percent of the U.S. canola crop is genetically modified. Canola oil is used in cooking, as well as biofuels. In North Dakota, genetically modified canola has been found growing far from any planted fields, raising questions about what will happen when "escaped" GE canola competes with wild plants.

7. Sugar Beets: More than half -- 54 percent -- of sugar sold in America comes from sugar beets. Genetically modified sugar beets account for 90 percent of the crop; however, that percentage is expected to increase after a USDA's decision last year gave the green light to sugar beet planting before an environmental impact statement was completed.

The organization True Food Now has a list of foods currently being tested for genetic modification, as well as those foods that are approved but not yet sold in the U.S. For a full snapshot of the future GMO landscape, visit this link.

Do you support a label requirement on GMO foods?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margie-kel...39455.html
oops
(02-23-2014, 01:42 PM)illcommandante Wrote: oops

it happens.
I just stuttered.