What do you do if your pharmacist is shorting you?
I take a medication. For several months now, when I go in and try to renew, they wont refill it because they say I am coming back to soon, and to come back in a few days and they can give it to me. This always confuses me. Was it me? Did I take more pills than I should have? Weird. This month I looked at what was left of my medication in my bottle and realized it would not last till the 30 day date listed on the bottle. Weird. Again, I think it must be me somehow. So, I waited and then refilled and went to pick up the medication. I should have checked there. But I didn't I went home read some books and stuff. Then I sat down just now and opened the bottle and counted them out 3 times. No mistake. There are 24 pills. They are shorting me. AND WORSE, when I go in and object, they act like I'm abusing my supply and am drug seeking. They bring out the big guys and move me out of the line of sight of customers and lecture me about it.. So, well, now I know. How would you approach this situation? I'm sure they are going to tell me that I have no proof that I didn't take or leave the other 6 pills somewhere else and now am just trying a new clever way to seek drugs? How do I handle this? I feel like just taking it to them could get it swept under the rug. What if the person who is shorting the count is the one I talk to and covers it up? Or someone covers up for someone else. This is nuts? It's illegal and it's nuts and I'm sure going back tomorrow with my shorted bottle is just going hit a dead wall. For sure, from now on I will just open the bottle right there on the counter and count them out, no matter how many customers are waiting behind me. I'd like to hear what people think of this.
(02-23-2014, 12:30 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I take a medication. For several months now, when I go in and try to renew, they wont refill it because they say I am coming back to soon, and to come back in a few days and they can give it to me. This always confuses me. Was it me? Did I take more pills than I should have? Weird. This month I looked at what was left of my medication in my bottle and realized it would not last till the 30 day date listed on the bottle. Weird. Again, I think it must be me somehow. So, I waited and then refilled and went to pick up the medication. I should have checked there. But I didn't I went home read some books and stuff. Then I sat down just now and opened the bottle and counted them out 3 times. No mistake. There are 24 pills. They are shorting me. AND WORSE, when I go in and object, they act like I'm abusing my supply and am drug seeking. They bring out the big guys and move me out of the line of sight of customers and lecture me about it.. So, well, now I know. How would you approach this situation? I'm sure they are going to tell me that I have no proof that I didn't take or leave the other 6 pills somewhere else and now am just trying a new clever way to seek drugs? How do I handle this? I feel like just taking it to them could get it swept under the rug. What if the person who is shorting the count is the one I talk to and covers it up? Or someone covers up for someone else. This is nuts? It's illegal and it's nuts and I'm sure going back tomorrow with my shorted bottle is just going hit a dead wall. For sure, from now on I will just open the bottle right there on the counter and count them out, no matter how many customers are waiting behind me. I'd like to hear what people think of this.
I don't know that there is anything you can do after the fact, besides informing management.
Next time, before you leave, make them count it, AGAIN, in front of you. They have to, if you ask. The pharmacist will do it, not the tech. At least that's how it should happen. Do you mind me asking which pharmacy?
I have no idea what you are taking. But it has only happened to me 2 times at one particular pharmacy. I would talk with the manager of the store as well as the head pharmacist and tell them what is going on. And then I would be transferring your prescription.
Tealeaf and blondemom are both correct...first, have them count them out in front of you and then, transfer your prescription to another pharmacy.
Not using WalMart are you?Laughing
My mom had that same problem with her heart meds. The pharmacy blamed it on the automatic pill dispenser they had in the back. She also started counting the pills and the problem stopped. I believe it happened 2 times before she started counting the pills. This was a few years ago and the pharmacy has since closed. Side note, their customer service was excellent.
I haven't run into that problem, but my meds have no black market value that I'm aware if, nor any fun side effects.

What I have done, however, is gotten all my meds on the same refill schedule (you can ask for a partial bottle of pills). And I've programmed my calendar to remind me every four weeks (28 days) to call for a refill. I only just started and only called for a refill once, so I don't know what will happen after a few more times. But it worked fine the first time. Maybe I'll have to adjust the calendar date every now and then, but it's better than running out all the time.
(02-23-2014, 05:30 AM)tealeaf Wrote:
(02-23-2014, 12:30 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I take a medication. For several months now, when I go in and try to renew, they wont refill it because they say I am coming back to soon, and to come back in a few days and they can give it to me. This always confuses me. Was it me? Did I take more pills than I should have? Weird. This month I looked at what was left of my medication in my bottle and realized it would not last till the 30 day date listed on the bottle. Weird. Again, I think it must be me somehow. So, I waited and then refilled and went to pick up the medication. I should have checked there. But I didn't I went home read some books and stuff. Then I sat down just now and opened the bottle and counted them out 3 times. No mistake. There are 24 pills. They are shorting me. AND WORSE, when I go in and object, they act like I'm abusing my supply and am drug seeking. They bring out the big guys and move me out of the line of sight of customers and lecture me about it.. So, well, now I know. How would you approach this situation? I'm sure they are going to tell me that I have no proof that I didn't take or leave the other 6 pills somewhere else and now am just trying a new clever way to seek drugs? How do I handle this? I feel like just taking it to them could get it swept under the rug. What if the person who is shorting the count is the one I talk to and covers it up? Or someone covers up for someone else. This is nuts? It's illegal and it's nuts and I'm sure going back tomorrow with my shorted bottle is just going hit a dead wall. For sure, from now on I will just open the bottle right there on the counter and count them out, no matter how many customers are waiting behind me. I'd like to hear what people think of this.
I don't know that there is anything you can do after the fact, besides informing management.
Next time, before you leave, make them count it, AGAIN, in front of you. They have to, if you ask. The pharmacist will do it, not the tech. At least that's how it should happen. Do you mind me asking which pharmacy?

Rite aid
(02-23-2014, 07:19 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Tealeaf and blondemom are both correct...first, have them count them out in front of you and then, transfer your prescription to another pharmacy.

I'd like to. But I don't want to go to Walmart. And a lot of the smaller pharmacies don't take my obscure insurance. I have to use the bigger guys. Maybe I can switch to Safeway.
I use Bi-Mart. Never had any major problems. Occasionally, I had to wait a day to get a medication in. I don't know if they'll take your insurance, though. The Ashland branch is nice.
(02-23-2014, 11:09 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-23-2014, 07:19 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Tealeaf and blondemom are both correct...first, have them count them out in front of you and then, transfer your prescription to another pharmacy.

I'd like to. But I don't want to go to Walmart. And a lot of the smaller pharmacies don't take my obscure insurance. I have to use the bigger guys. Maybe I can switch to Safeway.

Is there a Walgreens in the area, or a CVS?
(02-23-2014, 11:13 AM)csrowan Wrote: I use Bi-Mart. Never had any major problems. Occasionally, I had to wait a day to get a medication in. I don't know if they'll take your insurance, though. The Ashland branch is nice.

Well, I won't be going to Ashland. Safeway would be the next closest. But here's my thing. My other meds, the blood pressure, the thyroid, the anti depressants, they are just right. No problem with those counts. No, it's the controlled med that has been coming up short. To me, it's not enough to just complain to the store that they are shorting me, and ripping me off for money. No, this is illegal not just about money but about whatever they are doing with those drugs. Isn't it convenient that only the controlled ones are being shorted. And who do I complain to about THAT? I mean, who looks at the store and goes after them?
(02-23-2014, 11:17 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-23-2014, 11:13 AM)csrowan Wrote: I use Bi-Mart. Never had any major problems. Occasionally, I had to wait a day to get a medication in. I don't know if they'll take your insurance, though. The Ashland branch is nice.

Well, I won't be going to Ashland. Safeway would be the next closest. But here's my thing. My other meds, the blood pressure, the thyroid, the anti depressants, they are just right. No problem with those counts. No, it's the controlled med that has been coming up short. To me, it's not enough to just complain to the store that they are shorting me, and ripping me off for money. No, this is illegal not just about money but about whatever they are doing with those drugs. Isn't it convenient that only the controlled ones are being shorted. And who do I complain to about THAT? I mean, who looks at the store and goes after them?

I would think the MADGE Task Force would love hearing about this, maybe even do some kind of sting operation.

http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=2400

It is the controlled? This is a guess on my part, I would think those are counted at the pharmacy like every single one has to be accounted for. So I would tell them to start pulling the film from the camera because you are going to go to the pharmacy board as well as the home office. This just doesn't sound right.
I don't know... but I did hit up the Farmacia in Cabo! Big Grin You can get just about anything there! Of course, bringing it back in to the USA could get you in to a bit of trouble! Wink
(02-23-2014, 11:30 AM)blondemom Wrote:

It is the controlled? This is a guess on my part, I would think those are counted at the pharmacy like every single one has to be accounted for. So I would tell them to start pulling the film from the camera because you are going to go to the pharmacy board as well as the home office. This just doesn't sound right.

They weren't very nice about it, but they gave me the 6 missing pills. They pointed at a couple of dots drawn on the bottle and said that meant it had been double counted. And now, triple counted. (?). I said that I'm pretty sure this is not the first time and that next time I wanted them counted out for me. The inherent problem with this, is that they have to have a pharmacist come over and count them. BEFORE they hand me the bottle. So, to me, this just gives them a chance to replace the missing pills, since the pharmacist comes over at HER convenience to count them, not when I'm just standing at the counter. I dislike being treated like I'm the one doing something wrong.
The real pisser is, that this is caused by having a 'granny state', that has to control our lives.
If you come up short you should be able to get your refill early. (actually, when ever you want).

This is why I don't deal with Pharmaceuticals.
I prefer to get my medication from a grower directly.
(02-26-2014, 08:38 PM)chuck white Wrote: The real pisser is, that this is caused by having a 'granny state', that has to control our lives.
If you come up short you should be able to get your refill early. (actually, when ever you want).

This is why I don't deal with Pharmaceuticals.
I prefer to get my medication from a grower directly.

But do you really know what she is taking or if MJ would actually work. I imagine there are laws requiring these procedures and that they HAVE to do things a certain way.
The problem is there isn't a law about how to treat a customer or a patient with dignity.

Anyway here's the real answer to What do you do if your pharmacist is shorting you? Knock him on the ground and punch him all over his face about five timesLaughing
(02-26-2014, 07:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-23-2014, 11:30 AM)blondemom Wrote:

They weren't very nice about it, but they gave me the 6 missing pills. They pointed at a couple of dots drawn on the bottle and said that meant it had been double counted. And now, triple counted. (?). I said that I'm pretty sure this is not the first time and that next time I wanted them counted out for me. The inherent problem with this, is that they have to have a pharmacist come over and count them. BEFORE they hand me the bottle. So, to me, this just gives them a chance to replace the missing pills, since the pharmacist comes over at HER convenience to count them, not when I'm just standing at the counter. I dislike being treated like I'm the one doing something wrong.

I would be calling around and changing pharmacies. You should not be made to feel that way at all. That is so wrong.
(02-28-2014, 04:58 AM)blondemom Wrote: I would be calling around and changing pharmacies. You should not be made to feel that way at all. That is so wrong.

And, be sure and inform store management as to why. Not just the pharmacy.
We have used BiMart for years. For controlled drugs, and not. We've never had a problem, at all.